CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Disappointed in pricing...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 03:28 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Disappointed in pricing...

Was browsing the Lexus site today and was kinda shocked to see the starting MSRP of the CT200h. The CT looks great and all, but a price of $29,120 is really high in my opinion for this car. I was hoping this vehicle would of began somewhere around $27k (as initial reports indicated) and could be decently equipped for about $30k.

With the extra $2k on the price, you looking at $33k+ for a decently equipped CT and isn't much different than an IS250, price wise. breaks my heart, as I anticipate it somehow failing now like the HS did.
Old 02-07-11, 04:28 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Even though it is entry level, its still a Lexus. Lets not be unreasonable here. A 27K Lexus would be an even bigger step backwards than the CT already is. Hybrid tech is always going to be more expensive than its counterparts and its more than 2K cheaper than the IS. What is surprising is that it can go loaded up to 40K
Old 02-07-11, 04:55 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

i understand your point...but when comparing this to the Prius V, what will make the prospective Prius owner want to jump into the CT200h for about 4-5k more? at the $33k price range, there will be no Nav or options that the Pirus V offers at $28-29k. to really make the comparison somewhat level, the CT will be, as you said, $40k...which is ridiculous to me.

in the end, this WILL be compared to the Prius (whether we want to believe it or not) and I doubt the sporty feel, or the L badge, will make them choose the CT over the Prius. the only real badge most care about is the one that says Hybrid, which the Prius exceeds in at this time (by about 10mpg).

just my thoughts...
Old 02-07-11, 05:23 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baddis es
i understand your point...but when comparing this to the Prius V, what will make the prospective Prius owner want to jump into the CT200h for about 4-5k more? at the $33k price range, there will be no Nav or options that the Pirus V offers at $28-29k. to really make the comparison somewhat level, the CT will be, as you said, $40k...which is ridiculous to me.

in the end, this WILL be compared to the Prius (whether we want to believe it or not) and I doubt the sporty feel, or the L badge, will make them choose the CT over the Prius. the only real badge most care about is the one that says Hybrid, which the Prius exceeds in at this time (by about 10mpg).

just my thoughts...
I wish CL had a like button..
The following users liked this post:
nigel821 (03-02-23)
Old 02-07-11, 05:55 PM
QuentinB
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prius V w/ Nav is $31k. Prius starts at $28k without Nav. I think the CT is appropriately priced considering that.
Old 02-07-11, 06:18 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just my thoughts...
You're missing the point. Toyota didn't launch the CT200h to compete with the Prius. That wouldn't make them any money taking sales from themselves!

They made this car to compete with the Audi A3 which also starts at 27k base, and to compete with the upcoming BMW 120i hatchback which will probably start around 30k.
Old 02-07-11, 06:40 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by *Batman*
You're missing the point. Toyota didn't launch the CT200h to compete with the Prius. That wouldn't make them any money taking sales from themselves!

They made this car to compete with the Audi A3 which also starts at 27k base, and to compete with the upcoming BMW 120i hatchback which will probably start around 30k.
in all honesty, do you really think the CT can compete with the A3 or the 120i? I know Lexus "intended" the CT to compete against these vehicles, but in reality, I highly doubt it will and we'll see a mimic of what the HS become.

the CT is underpowered, overpriced and lacks in the sportiness it claims to the A3, and I've test drove the A3 and it is a pretty good vehicle (even if it is a glorified GTI ). sure the CT has the added mpg's, but if that's the selling point then the consumer is definitely cross-shopping it with a Prius, as the Prius is already at 10mpg more right out the gate.

i will be looking for a better commuter later on in the year, and really thought Lexus would price this competitively...but it's overpriced in my book.
Old 02-07-11, 07:43 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

in all honesty, do you really think the CT can compete with the A3 or the 120i? I know Lexus "intended" the CT to compete against these vehicles, but in reality, I highly doubt it will and we'll see a mimic of what the HS become.

the CT is underpowered, overpriced and lacks in the sportiness it claims to the A3, and I've test drove the A3 and it is a pretty good vehicle (even if it is a glorified GTI ). sure the CT has the added mpg's, but if that's the selling point then the consumer is definitely cross-shopping it with a Prius, as the Prius is already at 10mpg more right out the gate.

i will be looking for a better commuter later on in the year, and really thought Lexus would price this competitively...but it's overpriced in my book.
I agree that it may not be competitive vs. Audi or BMW.

But if all it does it takes sales from the Prius, then Toyota will suffer. Think about it - this is common sense:
1) No increase in sales because all they are doing is taking money that would have gone to Toyota sales and turning it into Lexus sales. Moving from left pocket to right pocket.
2) All the extra R&D cost to develop a new car - yeah the powertrain is the same, but they had to develop the chassis, the design, the interior, all the electricals, etc.
3) All the marketing costs they have advertising 2 different cars
4) Tooling costs to set up the factory

Basically if you are right then Toyota will be worse off because they did this.

So this adds to reason they don't want to price to compete with Prius. By making it expensive, at least they will draw new customers from somewhere else.
Old 02-07-11, 08:21 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I agree that it may not be competitive vs. Audi or BMW.

But if all it does it takes sales from the Prius, then Toyota will suffer. Think about it - this is common sense:
1) No increase in sales because all they are doing is taking money that would have gone to Toyota sales and turning it into Lexus sales. Moving from left pocket to right pocket.
2) All the extra R&D cost to develop a new car - yeah the powertrain is the same, but they had to develop the chassis, the design, the interior, all the electricals, etc.
3) All the marketing costs they have advertising 2 different cars
4) Tooling costs to set up the factory

Basically if you are right then Toyota will be worse off because they did this.

So this adds to reason they don't want to price to compete with Prius. By making it expensive, at least they will draw new customers from somewhere else.
let's hope they do...
Old 02-07-11, 08:32 PM
QuentinB
Driver

There are people out there that don't want the stigma of driving a Prius* or wouldn't stoop be be seen in a Toyota. Considering the marginal increase over a top trim, non-nav Prius ($2k), I think it will find an audience.

My biggest concern is if it can fit child seats in the back.

*Yes, there is a stigma that Prius drivers are holier-than-thou, do-gooders amongst some narrow minded people.
Old 02-08-11, 12:43 AM
ciparis
Rookie

What kills me is that you can get the Prius with features not available on the CT at any price (if you manage to find one with the tech package). Toyota is losing the technology edge through sheer failure to ship what they create.
Old 02-08-11, 05:12 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by QuentinB
There are people out there that don't want the stigma of driving a Prius* or wouldn't stoop be be seen in a Toyota. Considering the marginal increase over a top trim, non-nav Prius ($2k), I think it will find an audience.

My biggest concern is if it can fit child seats in the back.

*Yes, there is a stigma that Prius drivers are holier-than-thou, do-gooders amongst some narrow minded people.

LoL...hammer on nail!

i've drove around a Prius for a couple weeks last year and you'd be surprised at some of the weird looks you get jumping in/out of it...lol.

the child seat inquiry is a good point, from reviews...it is a lot tighter in the rear than the Matrix, so this can pose another challenge for those with up and coming members of the famz.

I still plan to check it out thoroughly once it arrives at the dealer, maybe a good test drive and the hands-on review for myself may sway me some but I'm still disappointed with the starting price.
Old 02-08-11, 11:15 AM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fully equipped CT200h:

LEATHER/NAVIGATION/PREMIUM AUDIO/other options..

tops out at $41k....of course base price is $31k....but most dealers will not have the bare bones base model...
Old 02-08-11, 07:07 PM
LexFather

I was actually shocked with the yen being as bad as it is the price starts under 30k. This car looks and drives NOTHING like a Prius, they share the same basic engine/drivetrain but thats about it. Yes you can get a loaded Prius for 30k but it doesn't handle as well, it has a less luxurious interior, it looks like a hybrid vs a conventional hatch and the Prius is clearly the larger car.

They will surely be cross shopped but they really are totally different cars in execution.

Not going to argue about pricing, its a tough sell, a 35k hatch with most options. Its a niche car and we will see how it does.
Old 02-08-11, 08:07 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I was actually shocked with the yen being as bad as it is the price starts under 30k. This car looks and drives NOTHING like a Prius, they share the same basic engine/drivetrain but thats about it. Yes you can get a loaded Prius for 30k but it doesn't handle as well, it has a less luxurious interior, it looks like a hybrid vs a conventional hatch and the Prius is clearly the larger car.

They will surely be cross shopped but they really are totally different cars in execution.

Not going to argue about pricing, its a tough sell, a 35k hatch with most options. Its a niche car and we will see how it does.

more of a reason why another engine option is needed in the CT line. screw the b/s of this sporty-hybrid gimmick with the CT and throw in an I4 comparable to the K-series from Honda...then tout sporty all you want!

Quick Reply: Disappointed in pricing...