Price paid for Lexus CT 200h

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-19, 03:49 PM
fiveainone
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phillymac
1. Philadelphia, PA
2. 2016 Lexus CPO/F-Sport w/ sunroof, satellite radio, dash screen(no nav) Special Edition
3. $21.8
4. 31k miles

Is this a fair price?
It's the standard price. Lexus have set their CPO the same across dealers. That was about the price I paid for my '16 with 22k miles a year ago, but there were plenty of others like yours that were the same price. I met someone who bought the same year and mileage as my car, but F-sport, from another local dealer, for exactly the same price. The most you can talk them down is $500. The walking-out-and-wait-a-week tactic won't work, they sell themselves. A year ago my local dealers all had 20+ CTs, they're all down to 2 or so now. The price hasn't fluctuated for a year, for the same spec cars.
Old 06-29-19, 04:06 PM
phillymac
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fiveainone
It's the standard price. Lexus have set their CPO the same across dealers. That was about the price I paid for my '16 with 22k miles a year ago, but there were plenty of others like yours that were the same price. I met someone who bought the same year and mileage as my car, but F-sport, from another local dealer, for exactly the same price. The most you can talk them down is $500. The walking-out-and-wait-a-week tactic won't work, they sell themselves. A year ago my local dealers all had 20+ CTs, they're all down to 2 or so now. The price hasn't fluctuated for a year, for the same spec cars.
Yeah I kinda figured that. They had a 2016 non-F-sport a few weeks ago and that sold for around the same too. I thought I would wait them out and it sold. I think the Lexús CPO’s don’t last. You’re getting a low price preowned car with almost a new car warranty. So I went with it. The car is in excellent shape. I fell for the tricks at the finance table for the extended CPO warranty. So I added 3 additional years to my 2 year CPO warranty. Not sure if I am going to keep it yet. It was basically 1k per year.
Old 06-29-19, 04:48 PM
fiveainone
Rookie

Yeah I kinda figured that. They had a 2016 non-F-sport a few weeks ago and that sold for around the same too. I thought I would wait them out and it sold. I think the Lexús CPO’s don’t last. You’re getting a low price preowned car with almost a new car warranty. So I went with it. The car is in excellent shape. I fell for the tricks at the finance table for the extended CPO warranty. So I added 3 additional years to my 2 year CPO warranty. Not sure if I am going to keep it yet. It was basically 1k per year.
Hmm, your car should still have 1 year left on the new car 4-year warranty, on top of the 2 year CPO.

My car just needed a loose front axle replaced, not as bullet proof as I thought.
Old 06-29-19, 04:55 PM
phillymac
Driver School Candidate

Hmm, your car should still have 1 year left on the new car 4-year warranty, on top of the 2 year CPO.

My car just needed a loose front axle replaced, not as bullet proof as I thought.
Correct it’s under CPO until 2022. This warranty extends CPO until 2025 unlimited mileage.
Old 07-01-19, 05:21 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That's a very fair price. Ended up buying the second CT we leased as well. Same price $18k (2015 w/around 40k) . My dealer took delivery of 25 identical units back in 2015 -- all Black w/ two tone interior. Not leather -- but it's nicer vs many leather interiors. No Nav or screen -- Sunroof ... Satellite radio (few other small items). Your car has many more option + year newer + CPO -- the F-sport were not cheap when new. It always best to buy a loaded car on the used market as the options don't add to the value as when new. They sell around me.

IMO -- you would have to be extremely unlucky .... extremely! ......for the extended warranty to be worth the expense. How long will you keep the car ? miles driven? My Lexus dealer is also a Toyota dealer and I started buying loaded Prius back in 2012 .. when he got the 25 CT's in they called me and offered me a lease deal I could not pass up vs buying the next two Prius I had scheduled. The CT and Prius share many parts -- I have also owned a Lexus as a personal vehicle since my first back in 1996. We keep them all past 200k -- we have had very few issues. One car needed a fuel pump at 160k. The front hubs are something that occasionally is noted -- but we have never needed one and it's a $500 fix at most. 15+ cars and 7 years now. The early ones had 250k when we removed from service. I give them to employees. 3k is a lot of coin ... buy a good stock instead. Just bought a perfect 2014 -- MB wagon w/30k. I always buy CPO MB's -- but never the extended. It never works out even with them. Back in January 2012 when I bought the first Prius (gas was +$4) -- I was afraid of the whole hybrid thing. I got the 5y 125K warranty (Toyota is only 3/36). Believe I paid $1500 at the dealer -- what I did not know is that it's available from any dealer -- also, you don't have to purchase when you buy the car. Must buy before the warranty expires. Anyway -- I got it from another dealer for $950. I still never used it -- It's the only time I bought one. But - I was new to the whole hybrid thing. If you really feel the need for the warranty -- I would see if you can get it from any dealer. I called corporate and canceled the original warranty -- bought from a dealer that sells a lot of the warranties. This is the factory warranty -- not third party.

Edit: Make sure it's transferable -- 2025 is a long way off. Also -- read the fine print about salvage. Most you can't get back if the car is totaled -- even before the warranty kicks in.

Good luck with the car

Last edited by yeldogt; 07-01-19 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-01-19, 06:44 AM
phillymac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yeldogt
That's a very fair price. Ended up buying the second CT we leased as well. Same price $18k (2015 w/around 40k) . My dealer took delivery of 25 identical units back in 2015 -- all Black w/ two tone interior. Not leather -- but it's nicer vs many leather interiors. No Nav or screen -- Sunroof ... Satellite radio (few other small items). Your car has many more option + year newer + CPO -- the F-sport were not cheap when new. It always best to buy a loaded car on the used market as the options don't add to the value as when new. They sell around me.

IMO -- you would have to be extremely unlucky .... extremely! ......for the extended warranty to be worth the expense. How long will you keep the car ? miles driven? My Lexus dealer is also a Toyota dealer and I started buying loaded Prius back in 2012 .. when he got the 25 CT's in they called me and offered me a lease deal I could not pass up vs buying the next two Prius I had scheduled. The CT and Prius share many parts -- I have also owned a Lexus as a personal vehicle since my first back in 1996. We keep them all past 200k -- we have had very few issues. One car needed a fuel pump at 160k. The front hubs are something that occasionally is noted -- but we have never needed one and it's a $500 fix at most. 15+ cars and 7 years now. The early ones had 250k when we removed from service. I give them to employees. 3k is a lot of coin ... buy a good stock instead. Just bought a perfect 2014 -- MB wagon w/30k. I always buy CPO MB's -- but never the extended. It never works out even with them. Back in January 2012 when I bought the first Prius (gas was +$4) -- I was afraid of the whole hybrid thing. I got the 5y 125K warranty (Toyota is only 3/36). Believe I paid $1500 at the dealer -- what I did not know is that it's available from any dealer -- also, you don't have to purchase when you buy the car. Must buy before the warranty expires. Anyway -- I got it from another dealer for $950. I still never used it -- It's the only time I bought one. But - I was new to the whole hybrid thing. If you really feel the need for the warranty -- I would see if you can get it from any dealer. I called corporate and canceled the original warranty -- bought from a dealer that sells a lot of the warranties. This is the factory warranty -- not third party.

Edit: Make sure it's transferable -- 2025 is a long way off. Also -- read the fine print about salvage. Most you can't get back if the car is totaled -- even before the warranty kicks in.

Good luck with the car
Many thanks for the information. I am really enjoying the vehicle so far and as you referenced this is my first hybrid hence the apprehension. 3k certainly is a lot!
Old 07-01-19, 09:24 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

phillymac: Understand that the CT and the Gen 3 Prius share components. The whole Toyota family of vehicles are very reliable. The only item we have added to the service routine: cleaning of the EGR system in the 120k range -- or if we notice any rough running or oil use. Do a search of my other posts -- you will see where I explain the issue to someone else. I will add that we have not had any head gasket issues -- even with the early cars that we never cleaned until a problem with the EGR valve set off the CEL in the 200k range. By all account if you do a cleaning -- the components last the life of the car.

One other item: The brake pads last forever (or close). Don't have someone telling you you need pads when it's down to 4mm -- since the car has regenerative braking it's very gentle on pads. I bought a set of front pads so I would have them in stock when needed for my independent -- at 160k + they still were not needed. Toyota/ Lexus has a 1mm on the pads for replacement ... we do inspect at every 10k oil change and rotation. We also spray lube the pins -- sticking calipers take out more pads than miles. It common for service people to tell customers they
"need" brakes at 4-5mm. The pads start out at 9mm -- so if you are at 5mm at 90k ... you have 90k of pad before 1mm.
Old 07-01-19, 11:03 AM
phillymac
Driver School Candidate

phillymac: Understand that the CT and the Gen 3 Prius share components. The whole Toyota family of vehicles are very reliable. The only item we have added to the service routine: cleaning of the EGR system in the 120k range -- or if we notice any rough running or oil use. Do a search of my other posts -- you will see where I explain the issue to someone else. I will add that we have not had any head gasket issues -- even with the early cars that we never cleaned until a problem with the EGR valve set off the CEL in the 200k range. By all account if you do a cleaning -- the components last the life of the car.

One other item: The brake pads last forever (or close). Don't have someone telling you you need pads when it's down to 4mm -- since the car has regenerative braking it's very gentle on pads. I bought a set of front pads so I would have them in stock when needed for my independent -- at 160k + they still were not needed. Toyota/ Lexus has a 1mm on the pads for replacement ... we do inspect at every 10k oil change and rotation. We also spray lube the pins -- sticking calipers take out more pads than miles. It common for service people to tell customers they
"need" brakes at 4-5mm. The pads start out at 9mm -- so if you are at 5mm at 90k ... you have 90k of pad before 1mm.
Thats awesome to hear. I am thinking I do not need that extra warranty. I felt like I got a good deal on the car then they sprung the coverages on me. I also have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I paid for the extra warranty and after 7 years I have used it several times already. However this is a Lexus/Toyota and the reliability is so much more! I did look at the maintenance schedule and it looks like a lot of "inspect" not very much "change or replace" at all. The warranty guy said the 60k service is $1800 alone. I cant see anything that looks like it would cost that much on that list!

Last edited by phillymac; 07-02-19 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-01-19, 11:15 PM
fiveainone
Rookie

Thats awesome to hear. I am thinking I do not need that extra warranty. I felt like I got a good deal on the car then they sprung the coverages on me. I also Jeep Grand Cherokee and I paid for the extra warranty and after 7 years I have used it several times already. However this is a Lexus/Toyota and the reliability is so much more! I did look at the maintenance schedule and it looks like a lot of "inspect" not very much "change or replace" at all. The warranty guy said the 60k service is $1800 alone. I cant see anything that looks like it would cost that much on that list!
FYI you don't need to have it service at Lexus anyways. Once warranty is out, take it to a Toyota dealer, and they'll service it for Toyota price. You just don't get to drive an RX as a loaner.
Old 07-02-19, 04:32 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

There is no need to take the cars to the dealer for normal service. You do not need dealer servicing to maintain the warranty. I maintain a fleet of cars (personal/business) -- so I have a good independent very close by. Taking them to the dealer for oil changes/rotations would be a pain. Although, both my local dealers (home/office) have coupons regularly that make it tempting. And they wash the car. Both of the 15's have been back for the new intake manifold service action.

Phillymac: There is very little to do to the cars. We do a rotation at 5k with new tires. 10k from then on w/ oil change. For simplicity I tend to replace the air and cabin filters yearly. My normal process is to order all the filters for all the cars and replace them at the same time (I do it myself) -- that way I know they are done in my head and I don't have to think about it. I typically get the Denso aftermarket filters from a place like Autohaus. I say this because -- I actually like the OE cabin filters better. The air filters look about the same. They last few times I have bought the filters -- I have purchased both of them from a dealer on e-bay. It's a couple of dollars more -- they are better. Also -- don't throw out the OE wipers -- get the inserts from a dealer. Again -- I get them on e-bay. Cheap. They are high quality and last -- the OE frame is very good. Checking the brakes is important -- we do a trans fluid change around 100k. Spark plugs when required -- think it's 120k.

I was out to my dealer north of Philadelphia two weeks ago -- they did not have any CT's for sale. I extended the leases on mine waiting for the new small hybrid SUV to come out -- did not like and expensive leases. The CT obviously did not sell enough nationwide -- popular in my area. IMO -- it would have made a great two door.

There is no $1600 service on the CT ,,,

Last edited by yeldogt; 07-02-19 at 04:35 AM.
Old 07-02-19, 07:46 AM
spiral
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

FYI you don't need to have it service at Lexus anyways. Once warranty is out, take it to a Toyota dealer, and they'll service it for Toyota price. You just don't get to drive an RX as a loaner.
That would be nice. When I called a Toyota dealer about my CT, their response was that they weren't allowed to work on them, period. Which seemed silly to me at the time. $$ is $$ and the parts are the same. But I can "understand" that Lexus has considerably less cars on the road so there is less opportunity to work on stuff compared to all things toyota. Either way, I continue to do all maintenance myself. Actually cheaper and easier.
Old 07-02-19, 08:18 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Yep. The CT pretty much for its entire lifetime needs almost nothing. And what it does need is chump change. that's the entire reason i bought this car. $25 special. $25 gas fill ups, $25oil changes. $25 brake pads. that's it. for my entire lifetime. who's paying $1600 lol. for what.

this car takes beans for payments to live
Old 07-02-19, 09:19 PM
phillymac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
Yep. The CT pretty much for its entire lifetime needs almost nothing. And what it does need is chump change. that's the entire reason i bought this car. $25 special. $25 gas fill ups, $25oil changes. $25 brake pads. that's it. for my entire lifetime. who's paying $1600 lol. for what.

this car takes beans for payments to live

Amazing...the things they will tell you to sell you a warranty!
Old 07-02-19, 09:21 PM
phillymac
Driver School Candidate

There is no need to take the cars to the dealer for normal service. You do not need dealer servicing to maintain the warranty. I maintain a fleet of cars (personal/business) -- so I have a good independent very close by. Taking them to the dealer for oil changes/rotations would be a pain. Although, both my local dealers (home/office) have coupons regularly that make it tempting. And they wash the car. Both of the 15's have been back for the new intake manifold service action.

Phillymac: There is very little to do to the cars. We do a rotation at 5k with new tires. 10k from then on w/ oil change. For simplicity I tend to replace the air and cabin filters yearly. My normal process is to order all the filters for all the cars and replace them at the same time (I do it myself) -- that way I know they are done in my head and I don't have to think about it. I typically get the Denso aftermarket filters from a place like Autohaus. I say this because -- I actually like the OE cabin filters better. The air filters look about the same. They last few times I have bought the filters -- I have purchased both of them from a dealer on e-bay. It's a couple of dollars more -- they are better. Also -- don't throw out the OE wipers -- get the inserts from a dealer. Again -- I get them on e-bay. Cheap. They are high quality and last -- the OE frame is very good. Checking the brakes is important -- we do a trans fluid change around 100k. Spark plugs when required -- think it's 120k.

I was out to my dealer north of Philadelphia two weeks ago -- they did not have any CT's for sale. I extended the leases on mine waiting for the new small hybrid SUV to come out -- did not like and expensive leases. The CT obviously did not sell enough nationwide -- popular in my area. IMO -- it would have made a great two door.

There is no $1600 service on the CT ,,,
Thank you for the information. I left the finance person several messages and still no callback about canceling the warranty. I will do so by the end of next week, even if I have to stop in. Is reassuring to know that these cars are so trouble free.
Old 07-04-19, 10:17 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

No REAL need for extended warranty for the CT200h. My 2013 CT200h bought new has some trouble free 61K miles on odo.

I've just done the routine maintenance stuff myself which is easy to do. I read some CL members with high mileage CT200h (more than like 120K miles) had some EGR issues with clogging up.

Thank you for the information. I left the finance person several messages and still no callback about canceling the warranty. I will do so by the end of next week, even if I have to stop in. Is reassuring to know that these cars are so trouble free.

Quick Reply: Price paid for Lexus CT 200h