CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

What will be your next car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 07:01 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,179 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I did replace it with a Lexus HS250h for commuting with my wife. My (former) CT200h replaced a 2008 MINI Cooper S that had a $700 turbo oil line leak the week I listed it for sale, which was a couple months after the warranty ran out. According to the MINI forum, BMW/MINI cheaped out on the oil line seal at the turbo so that the turbo heat destroyed the seal shortly after the warranty expired! There were later better aftermarket replacements. The MINI forum is full of similar horror stories and I would never again own another BMW/MINI product. Worst built cars around, excepting maybe Fiat.
Old 11-03-16, 08:38 AM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm very happy with my CT and with my dealer's service department, so with just 51,000 km (38,000 mi) on the odometer I don't plan on replacing it for a while.

That being said, it is unlikely that I would get another CT (assuming Lexus is still making them). The main reason is price. Based on the info on the Lexus Canada website, the 2017 model that is comparable to my car is the F-Sport Series 2 @ CAD$48,000 OTD (i.e., incl. taxes, PDI, etc., etc.). It's fair to note that the 2017 Series 2 comes with navigation while mine lacks that feature. Even so, I would be hard pressed to justify spending that amount of money just to have another Lexus.

If I was shopping for another car today I'd be leaning toward either a fully-optioned Mazda 3 GT automatic (at roughly CAD$32,000), or Honda Civic Touring (at about CAD$33,000). Both are very reliable and have received excellent reviews in the automotive press. Although neither is as fuel efficient as the CT, the CAD$16,000 I'd save by getting the Mazda or Honda would more than cover the extra cost of gas.
Old 11-03-16, 09:30 AM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope Lexus brings out a gen 2 CT next year as my wife just "loves, loves, loves" her 2012 and a new one would be an ideal replacement. I have test driven and really like the Audi E Tron but I just can't bring myself to buy a German car.
Old 11-03-16, 01:48 PM
UMassMike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that the next revision of the CT has a better infotainment system. Even the new ones look antiquated now compared to smartphones. I hope we see CarPlay or Android Auto as an option in these cars.
Old 11-03-16, 05:23 PM
edgalang
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't say about other German cars but so far my experience has been great. I currently daily drive a 2012 MB C350 that my wife and I custom ordered from the factory and 70k miles later it still looks and works like new. Granted it's been garaged the entire time and we don't live in the snow belt so it's never seen snow or salt, but other than general maintenance (which I'm very strict about), it's been drama free. I can even go as far as saying it's easier to maintain the Merc more than the CT since to change the oil I don't even have to crawl underneath the car.
Old 11-04-16, 05:58 AM
lcneed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UMassMike
I hope that the next revision of the CT has a better infotainment system. Even the new ones look antiquated now compared to smartphones. I hope we see CarPlay or Android Auto as an option in these cars.
I have Nav on my CT but the only thing I use is bluetooth. I have a $250 Samsung 8" tablet from T-mobile with unlimited streaming and 6GB of data per month which fit perfectly in landscape on the CT phone holder that came with the 2012 CT. Nav, music, calls, everything is on it and screen is so much better and brighter than the Nav screen on the CT or any other cars. Google voice and Hangout Dialer work perfectly with the CT's bluetooth calling system, so I don't even need to connect my phone.
Old 11-04-16, 06:06 AM
jbny
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Let me not anger the BMW Gods :-) , my X5 never left me stranded anywhere, however I always carry a quart of oil , I only use AGM batteries and replace them in 2 years (since the BMW sits a lot), I don't take it for short trips in peak winter cold.
Believe me, I have a smile on my face every time I drive my old X5, but when i was younger without kids i did hang out with the mechanics a lot, paid into their kids college funds ( i had a 325XI wagon as well), however now the last thing i want is hang out with mechanics when i could be doing something else with my time.
So I hope in a year or so I can get a GX if not the LX and stop worrying about window regulators/Automatic Hatch/Panoramic Roof Leaks/Air Suspension issues/ Water Pumps/AC blowing Hot air/Radio Having a mind of it's own and so on....
But it still drives like a dream.....
Plus CT200h F sport handles pretty well (Just sooo slow that I have to plan my interstate merges)
Old 11-06-16, 06:13 AM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbny
(Just sooo slow that I have to plan my interstate merges)
And have an afternoon to accelerate to 60.
Old 11-10-16, 12:40 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 415 Likes on 252 Posts

vw golf r, very handsome and rides great
Old 02-16-22, 07:48 AM
jbny
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bringing back an old thread - I still have the CT200H F sport, not a single issue since I bought it , just spent the $ on oil changes/leather mats/car washes.
I also bough an old GX470 before the pandemic no issues, except replaced the radiator proactively.
BMW X5 sold after the Aux Fan died.

Now I am all Lexus and do not worry about the cars anymore, they all start the first time and run without any hiccups, i plan on buying another Lexus in the future.
I love the hybrid as during the pandemic the CT200h sat a lot in parking lots/school pickup and drop off runs and used as little gas as possible.
Old 02-16-22, 09:57 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I hope you didn't sell your X5 *because* the aux fan died. that's a $200 part and a 10 min DIY. lol.
Old 03-22-22, 10:22 AM
tronim
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I hope you didn't sell your X5 *because* the aux fan died. that's a $200 part and a 10 min DIY. lol.
I think he knew to GET OUT of that X5 while he could! LOL
Old 03-24-22, 07:55 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Since this has been brought back from the dead........currently driving my GF's 2013 CT for my work commute. 35mpg is much better than my GX's 14.5mpg at $4/gallon. The CT is not meant for highway driving at 70-80mph. That little 1.8L is just wound up the whole time. Then you see full size Toyota/Lexus hybrids with the 2.5L getting close to 40mpg on the highway. How much better would the CT have been with the 2.5L and possibly a manual transmission? More power and the engine wouldn't be working as hard so capable of better mpg. But I guess it was easier to put a different body on a Prius instead of redesigning a new car.

So next car, I would love for her to get a previous gen Lexus ES300h. So much more car, more comfortable and better mpg. But this used car market is too insane right now. Especially since she only paid $12k OTD for this CT a little over a year ago with 75k miles.
The following users liked this post:
internalau (04-27-22)
Old 05-13-22, 12:57 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

My stepdaughter drives our CT and plan on keeping it much longer. I drive the HS 250h and my wife drives the GX. We've been thinking about getting the NX 450h+ (gas prices has dramatically gone up) but also I need a truck and thinking of the Toyota Tundra.
The following 2 users liked this post by Trexus:
internalau (05-13-22), offroad200 (05-18-22)
Old 05-18-22, 06:50 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
My stepdaughter drives our CT and plan on keeping it much longer. I drive the HS 250h and my wife drives the GX. We've been thinking about getting the NX 450h+ (gas prices has dramatically gone up) but also I need a truck and thinking of the Toyota Tundra.
How often do you really NEED a truck? Once in a while? All the time? I have an old beater truck, 2001 Silverado, that's my Lowe's and trash truck. If you have the room, just buy an old beater and just drive it occasionally.
The following users liked this post:
EcurieKS (06-06-22)

Quick Reply: What will be your next car?