CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

L/certified

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-17, 11:23 AM
Alsenor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default L/certified

I have seen various cases of frustrated L/cert. Lexus owners because of distant selling dealerships.
My question:
1. Is the 2-year free service (with oil and filter changes every 5000 mi) tied to the selling dealer or not?
2. Does the remaining Lexus new owner warranty have to be performed by any dealer (even Toyota)?

Bottom line is this:
1. If the selling dealer is unreasonably far away and is the only one obligated to give you the 2-year service, then his L/cert. is a waste of money.
2. If the answer is 'yes' then one is better off spending the extra money on a non L/cert. car with lower miles on the odo.

Please correct me on any misunderstandings I may have.
Thank you.
Old 01-28-17, 03:50 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

When I bought my Lexus RCF "L" certified back in October 2015 with 2xxx miles on the odometer, I asked the selling Lexus dealership in Los Angeles the same exact questions.

Make sure they show you in writing on the paperwork to your satisfaction as well.

Back on 2015 the "L" certified Lexus vehicles had a warranty mileage limit to 100k miles, if my memory serves me right. 2016 and thereafter it is UNLIMITED MILEAGE. I forgot for how many years though.

My "L" certified RCF came with two free services. Since it had 2xxx miles on the odometer, the next two services were at 5k and 10k and both required oil changes since the high performance RCF required oil filter and change at 5k intervals. After I bought the RCF at Los Angeles CA area a few months later I shipped to MS for work. Both the 5k and 10k services were done FREE OF CHARGE at another dealer in MS which was really far away from the selling dealer. So yes, the "L" certified thing is a nation wide policy in the USA. But make sure you ask them to show it to you on the paperwork. Not just some BS talk from them. I don't think this will work at a Toyota dealership. Meaning if you want to pay the Toyota dealership for the service, yes they will be happy to take your money. But for warranty, no. I think the same logic for the free Lexus covered "L" certified service. I did try at a closer Toyota dealership in MS and got denied. I was told if I just wanted to pay for the service at the Toyota dealership, then OK. But otherwise no.

I find similar situation with my friend's Infinity where the local Nissan dealership will not do any FREE warranty work for the Infinity. The key word is FREE.

BTW, I think only the new RCF, the old ISF, and the new GSF will require oil changes at 5k intervals. All other Lexus vehicles are at 10k intervals.

Originally Posted by Alsenor
I have seen various cases of frustrated L/cert. Lexus owners because of distant selling dealerships.
My question:
1. Is the 2-year free service (with oil and filter changes every 5000 mi) tied to the selling dealer or not?
2. Does the remaining Lexus new owner warranty have to be performed by any dealer (even Toyota)?

Bottom line is this:
1. If the selling dealer is unreasonably far away and is the only one obligated to give you the 2-year service, then his L/cert. is a waste of money.
2. If the answer is 'yes' then one is better off spending the extra money on a non L/cert. car with lower miles on the odo.

Please correct me on any misunderstandings I may have.
Thank you.

Last edited by lexusrus; 01-29-17 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-28-17, 04:00 PM
Alsenor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your feed back.
In my case I'll have to forget about L/certified offers, since any dealership is too far away to perform the services.
I shall look for a regular used CT with lower mileage and pay for my service at the local Toyota dealer.
This should also give me a longer remaining factory warranty for stuff that may go wrong with it.

Last edited by Alsenor; 01-28-17 at 04:14 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-29-17, 03:11 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Depending on the selling Lexus dealer, you might still get a good deal if they had the inventory too long. Gas is still cheap so not too many people are fighting to get a hybrid. So you can really bargain for a nice CT that is "L" certified with unlimited mileage warranty for X years. That is IF YOU REALLY INTEND TO PUT A LOT MILES. Otherwise no difference.

I really liked the Lexus hybrid setup as I have the RX450h and the CT200h. Both get exceptional mpg in around town stop and go traffic.

If you are in CA, the hybrid battery is warranted to like 100k miles whereas elsewhere it is a bit shorter. That's one good thing about living in Cali.

Originally Posted by Alsenor
Thank you for your feed back.
In my case I'll have to forget about L/certified offers, since any dealership is too far away to perform the services.
I shall look for a regular used CT with lower mileage and pay for my service at the local Toyota dealer.
This should also give me a longer remaining factory warranty for stuff that may go wrong with it.

Last edited by lexusrus; 01-29-17 at 03:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Alsenor (01-29-17)