CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

2014 CT200h brakes pads replacement DIY.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-17 | 06:02 PM
Yamaheart
Driver

Default 2014 CT200h brakes pads replacement DIY.

Has anyone replace his or her brake pads on the Ct200h? If so, what pads to use and what to look for when replacing pads? Thank you.
Old 08-15-17 | 07:50 AM
Clutchless

Just get OEM pads and they are just like doing any other brake pad replacement on any other Japanese vehicle. The pads last a long long time. When doing the replacement be sure to pull out the 2 slide pins at each caliper to clean and regrease them with SylGlide lubricant. Look at youtube for more data as they are similar to Prius brakes.

I found a seized slide pin on my HS250h at 60,000 miles and I had hardly any pad wear. I was just doing a routine brake service to inspect, clean and lubricate the brakes when I found the problem. It had probably been the cause of my reduced mileage lately.

However you cannot bleed these brakes at home due to integration with the hybrid system. A shop with Toyota Techstream software must do it. Many import repair shops have it.
Old 08-16-17 | 11:03 PM
Yamaheart
Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Just get OEM pads and they are just like doing any other brake pad replacement on any other Japanese vehicle. The pads last a long long time. When doing the replacement be sure to pull out the 2 slide pins at each caliper to clean and regrease them with SylGlide lubricant. Look at youtube for more data as they are similar to Prius brakes.

I found a seized slide pin on my HS250h at 60,000 miles and I had hardly any pad wear. I was just doing a routine brake service to inspect, clean and lubricate the brakes when I found the problem. It had probably been the cause of my reduced mileage lately.

However you cannot bleed these brakes at home due to integration with the hybrid system. A shop with Toyota Techstream software must do it. Many import repair shops have it.
Thank you sir!
Old 08-20-17 | 12:05 AM
Yamaheart
Driver

My brakes are worsen, it will not grab as much as before i replaced them. I replaced the front rotors and pads, I only replaced the pads on the rear. I accidentally leaked some brake fluid on the rear calibers. What do I have to do now? Thank you.
Old 08-21-17 | 12:56 PM
Clutchless

You have new pads and rotors in front, they need to wear in a bit to full grab each other as well as your old brakes. If nothing else is wrong it should improve in a couple hundred miles.

Some pads need to be burnished initially before they work well and all new brakes need a couple of hundred miles to break in and reach full grab force. This means making 4 or 5 hard stops from 40 mph then letting the brakes cool.

Use lots of brake cleaner to remove the spilled brake fluid. It is in spray cans at every auto parts store. I always keep several cans around. It is great for cleaning up other stuff around the house!
Brake cleaner is your necessary friend during every brake job as you always get grease or fluid on something. It helps to always spray brake cleaner on the pads friction surfaces and rotors right before installation and let it dry, which takes about 1 minute. Spray until it runs clean. You may have gotten some on your pads or rotors during installation and may need to go back and spray clean them. Or you may need to have a shop bleed your brakes.

Have you done a brake job before?

I hope you did not over tighten the floating caliper/slide pin bolts as they only need about 25 foot pounds torque.

Last edited by Clutchless; 08-21-17 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-21-17 | 04:54 PM
Yamaheart
Driver

You have new pads and rotors in front, they need to wear in a bit to full grab each other as well as your old brakes. If nothing else is wrong it should improve in a couple hundred miles.

Some pads need to be burnished initially before they work well and all new brakes need a couple of hundred miles to break in and reach full grab force. This means making 4 or 5 hard stops from 40 mph then letting the brakes cool.

Use lots of brake cleaner to remove the spilled brake fluid. It is in spray cans at every auto parts store. I always keep several cans around. It is great for cleaning up other stuff around the house!
Brake cleaner is your necessary friend during every brake job as you always get grease or fluid on something. It helps to always spray brake cleaner on the pads friction surfaces and rotors right before installation and let it dry, which takes about 1 minute. Spray until it runs clean. You may have gotten some on your pads or rotors during installation and may need to go back and spray clean them. Or you may need to have a shop bleed your brakes.

Have you done a brake job before?

I hope you did not over tighten the floating caliper/slide pin bolts as they only need about 25 foot pounds torque.
Thanks brother, I have done a few in the past. Will wait and see the outcome. Thanks once again.
Old 01-09-20 | 04:24 PM
poppe
Driver School Candidate

Old thread so hopefully you are still on this, but how could you tell the slide pin was seized? Through the fall I was getting 50mpg consistently, now that the temperature has hit 45-55 degrees, I've noticed I"m only getting 43-45mpg. I chalked it up to the cold, but then recently the brakes started having a soft screech sound when braking upon first driving (only to disappear after worm up). That's gone now but the brakes have a soft grinding sound now on the first few stops only for it to go away as well.
Old 01-10-20 | 08:13 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

You'd probably have to disassemble the hardware if you suspect something is up and at that point you may as well clean and relube (if toyota specifies for lube) the pins and reassemble. I doubt thats causing your MPG reduction though.

As far as pads, our stocks are a ceramic or ceramic blend. Which sucks for feel and response. Rock auto sells some metallic blends and I'm tempted to try those. i really hate the spongy feel of our prius pads.
The following users liked this post:
poppe (01-10-20)
Old 01-10-20 | 08:44 AM
poppe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
You'd probably have to disassemble the hardware if you suspect something is up and at that point you may as well clean and relube (if toyota specifies for lube) the pins and reassemble. I doubt thats causing your MPG reduction though.

As far as pads, our stocks are a ceramic or ceramic blend. Which sucks for feel and response. Rock auto sells some metallic blends and I'm tempted to try those. i really hate the spongy feel of our prius pads.
Thanks, I'm glad you said that about the spongy feeling. I thought I was crazy. Harbor Freight is having a close out sale this weekend by me so maybe I'll get some jacks and check out the brakes this weekend.
Old 01-10-20 | 03:46 PM
sjw91
Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT

Our brakes are definitely spongy, but it's not due to the pad material. My Corvette has ceramic brakes and feels very solid (they'd be worthless on a track, of course). I just assumed the CT sponginess was from the regenerative (or generative) part of the hybrid system. Changing to braided brake lines will probably do more to improve the pedal feel than metallic pads.
The following users liked this post:
poppe (01-10-20)