CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

How much stiffer are blue F Sport springs than stock F Sport springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-17, 03:16 PM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How much stiffer are blue F Sport springs than stock F Sport springs?

Hello all,

I have a 2017 CT200h F Sport with the stock black F Sport springs. I'm considering upgrading to the blue springs (I like to keep things OEM) but don't want it to greatly affect comfort. I've heard some say that the blue springs are just as comfortable, while others have posted that initial spring rates of the blue springs are lower than stock but the springs are progressive.

Can anyone who has done the upgrade comment on this? Thanks!
Old 08-25-17, 05:03 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

it is stiffer than oem
Old 08-25-17, 11:04 AM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

Is it a significant difference?
Old 08-25-17, 11:13 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 200 Posts

Not as stiff as coilovers.

But compared to another aftermarket company that makes lower springs such as Tein or Eibach, (obviously spring rates, etc. matter), the drop and the effect on stiffness when felt by the driver and/or passenger(s) is noticeable over non f-sport springs, but not enough to cause any form of discomfort, imho.
Old 08-25-17, 11:17 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

imo... still feels close to oem. car is still comfy, my bad back does not notice any extra discomfort
Old 08-25-17, 11:18 AM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tofuprod
Not as stiff as coilovers.

But compared to another aftermarket company that makes lower springs such as Tein or Eibach, (obviously spring rates, etc. matter), the drop and the effect on stiffness when felt by the driver and/or passenger(s) is noticeable over non f-sport springs, but not enough to cause any form of discomfort, imho.
I'm never daily driving a car on coilovers again even my racecar is on springs and adjustable strut inserts.

Would you recommend any spring over the blue F Sport springs? My current black F Sport springs aren't the softest, can get a bit bumpy, but I like it.

Originally Posted by chargerfan
imo... still feels close to oem. car is still comfy, my bad back does not notice any extra discomfort
That's good to hear, thank you. You went from black F Sport springs to blue ones?
Old 08-25-17, 11:22 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

I tried out "road magnets", and then I took those out and tried out the blues. I pref the blues, the ride felt a little more comfortable (ymmv, this is purely my opinion)

also, I hated the wierd uneven drop the road magnets gave. cust svc said they'd eventually settle.... they didn't.
Old 08-25-17, 11:26 AM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

For sure, thanks man. I know some springs can be harsh, comfort is far more than just spring rate numbers and I'd trust Lexus to do it right.
Old 08-28-17, 11:04 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by Halorulr64
I'm never daily driving a car on coilovers again even my racecar is on springs and adjustable strut inserts.

Would you recommend any spring over the blue F Sport springs? My current black F Sport springs aren't the softest, can get a bit bumpy, but I like it.

That's good to hear, thank you. You went from black F Sport springs to blue ones?

Halo, to be quite honest, only other brand I hear that is okay (from this lineup) is eibach or tanabe.

If I had a choice, I would still get the f sport blues. Comfort, reasonable drop (in my opinion), and not too pricey.
Old 08-29-17, 01:11 AM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

Thank you tofuprod. My choice is made, F Sport springs it is.

The only thing holding me back is the doors being too low. With two people in the car, opening the door when parked on the street has already resulted in the bottom corner scraping against the sidewalk. With a 1" drop it wouldn't even open!
Old 08-29-17, 06:57 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by Halorulr64
Thank you tofuprod. My choice is made, F Sport springs it is.

The only thing holding me back is the doors being too low. With two people in the car, opening the door when parked on the street has already resulted in the bottom corner scraping against the sidewalk. With a 1" drop it wouldn't even open!
I know that feeling, here in Chicago we have some pretty high curbs, the ones that are the size of those big parking blocks. My F-Sport usually is just a millimeter or two above, the little black weather strip on the bottom of the door just lightly grazes it.

Then again, I always look before and while I open my doors as it is, as my S2000 is mere inches off of the ground. Another OCD habit of mine is due to the fact I hate swinging doors open, don't want to damage the door or risk hitting a vehicle next to me (or curb).

All in all, the F Sport blues are considered a mild drop, much like the Toyota TRD springs, they are noticeable, but not in the sense of coilovers (obviously). To some, they aren't worth the money because they feel for the price point, they can get more drop. However this is subjective, as not everyone is looking for just a drop, some want comfort, it's all about compromise, and considering the spring rates on the Blues, I believe you can get the best of all worlds here.

If you get them, post pictures!

Here is mine:
Old 08-29-17, 02:25 PM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tofuprod
I know that feeling, here in Chicago we have some pretty high curbs, the ones that are the size of those big parking blocks. My F-Sport usually is just a millimeter or two above, the little black weather strip on the bottom of the door just lightly grazes it.

Then again, I always look before and while I open my doors as it is, as my S2000 is mere inches off of the ground. Another OCD habit of mine is due to the fact I hate swinging doors open, don't want to damage the door or risk hitting a vehicle next to me (or curb).

All in all, the F Sport blues are considered a mild drop, much like the Toyota TRD springs, they are noticeable, but not in the sense of coilovers (obviously). To some, they aren't worth the money because they feel for the price point, they can get more drop. However this is subjective, as not everyone is looking for just a drop, some want comfort, it's all about compromise, and considering the spring rates on the Blues, I believe you can get the best of all worlds here.

If you get them, post pictures!

Here is mine:
The problem isn't me, it's passengers! I'm very careful, since I own a lowered MR2 Spyder (I feel your pain). But with two people in the car, in one specific spot outside my work, my passenger swinging the door out actually got it stuck on the sidewalk. That didn't feel good, the car was 2 months old!

Your car looks fantastic. That drop is just perfect for a daily. And yeah, I'm not looking for a big drop and mainly want comfort. I don't want the Tanabe because 1" is the max I want to drop it. The F Sports do really seem perfect. I'll get them and just yell at all future passengers to be careful.