CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Deer vs CT

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-17, 09:19 AM
CTFSportSE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deer vs CT

I was headed to a charity softball tournament yesterday morning and got clobbered by an 8-pt buck. It wasn't super early, so I wasn't fully expecting to see deer; but nonetheless I got a split-second glimpse before he made impact. I got out full expecting a dent or two at most, but was unpleasantly surprised to see how much damage was done. It looks like his head and shoulder made contact with the right rear door and quarter panel, while the rest of his body went up the right front door. The center post is bent in (uneven gap in door lines and neither door will open) and the lines in the rear hatch suggest a shift in the uni-body. There's extensive damage to the inside door jamb (uni-body) and the right rear door panel is damaged inside the car and the right front is bowed inward from the outside. The deer didn't survive, however I was completely unharmed, but distressed over my car. Its a 2013 w/18k; I've only put 3k on it. I just had 2014+ front & rear bumpers installed less than 6 weeks ago and a new set of trident wheels & tires put on less than a week ago.

6 months ago today, my 2012 F-sport SE was hit for the second time in a little over a year (Once while I was parked and the second time by a driver who ran a red light) and I opted not to repair it the second time. I've started the claims process through Allstate and I'm HOPING its quick and easy, but I haven't decided if I will repair my car or just opt for something else. I almost feel as if its not meant for me to have a CT. I LOVE the way these cars look and the reliability is unrivaled. My only complaint is the lack of 'ooomph' and considerably lower fuel mileage on the highway.
Attached Thumbnails Deer vs CT-1.jpg   Deer vs CT-2.jpg   Deer vs CT-3.jpg   Deer vs CT-4.jpg   Deer vs CT-5.jpg  

Last edited by CTFSportSE; 09-17-17 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-17-17, 03:14 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Sorry to hear about you accident. But the important thing is that you are not hurt. The car can be repaired or replaced.

I find it necessary to actually speed up very quickly to avoid an accident or impact sometimes. In the CT200h, it is almost impossible to do this correctly. In my younger days riding motorcycles, I learned a lot of times you need to accelerate quickly to get out of potential accidents.

The following occurred while I was driving my RCF. Had I been in my CT200h, I think it might turn out badly. ​​The other day I was in a four lane highway out in the country with two lanes each direction with a grassy median going about 60 mph in the right lane coming up to a two lane intersection. A car decided to enter my lane from the intersection to make a right turn on my right without stopping (he had a stop sign!!!). I saw him coming and he rolled into my lane on my right. I looked over to my left there is a car coming up behind me on my left (about five car's length) and another car riding my bumper behind me. No traffic in front of me. I punched the gas and moved to the left lane to avoid contact with him and very quickly got up to speed and then moved to the right lane. Had I hit the brakes I'm sure the car riding my bumper behind me would have hit my rear bumper and then I would have hit the car entering the intersection on my right. The RCF performed perfectly as I got so close to the car on my right enough to see the reaction on his face!!! What a douchebag! If I was in the CT200h instead, all I could have done was to hit the brakes and pray for the best since it will not accelerate quickly.

Originally Posted by CTFSportSE
I was headed to a charity softball tournament yesterday morning and got clobbered by an 8-pt buck. It wasn't super early, so I wasn't fully expecting to see deer; but nonetheless I got a split-second glimpse before he made impact. I got out full expecting a dent or two at most, but was unpleasantly surprised to see how much damage was done. It looks like his head and shoulder made contact with the right rear door and quarter panel, while the rest of his body went up the right front door. The center post is bent in (uneven gap in door lines and neither door will open) and the lines in the rear hatch suggest a shift in the uni-body. There's extensive damage to the inside door jamb (uni-body) and the right rear door panel is damaged inside the car and the right front is bowed inward from the outside. The deer didn't survive, however I was completely unharmed, but distressed over my car. Its a 2013 w/18k; I've only put 3k on it. I just had 2014+ front & rear bumpers installed less than 6 weeks ago and a new set of trident wheels & tires put on less than a week ago.

6 months ago today, my 2012 F-sport SE was hit for the second time in a little over a year (Once while I was parked and the second time by a driver who ran a red light) and I opted not to repair it the second time. I've started the claims process through Allstate and I'm HOPING its quick and easy, but I haven't decided if I will repair my car or just opt for something else. I almost feel as if its not meant for me to have a CT. I LOVE the way these cars look and the reliability is unrivaled. My only complaint is the lack of 'ooomph' and considerably lower fuel mileage on the highway.
Old 09-18-17, 02:37 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Looks like that will be close to being totaled. My damage to a similar spot was $8500 and it was only the door and corner sheet metal. I opted to get a set of enkie rpf1 wheels when that happened. My mileage shot up 6mpg from the weight savings.

Like others have said, cars can be replaced. Good thing you're ok!! Install a dash camera so we can see what happened next time lol. BTW, then you can have undisputed evidence it was a deer. To much insurance scandal out there. With my accident, the dash camera made the claims process go from weeks to hours
It happened Friday morning. Got police report Saturday morning. I put in claim on Saturday night with other parties carrier. Monday morning I get a call from their adjuster at 910am. Told him my side a also said I have video footage, he said they have to do their investigation. I emailed them a copy. They accepted liability by 1130 that same morning. My car was being worked on by Tuesday afternoon.

Parts were already on order on afternoon if accident. Since it was either mine or other parties carrier paying.
Old 09-18-17, 03:30 PM
CTFSportSE
Rookie

I'm still waiting for my insurance company to send an adjuster or an appraiser out to do their own estimate on the damages. So far, the highest I got was just shy of $7300, with the expectation that figure will go up once the driver's door is opened so they can better assess the center post. It has damage, it was noted as repairable at this time. There is a lot of structural damage inside the right rear door. They figured up 2 hours of labor on the frame rack to correct it. Unfortunately, its not going to be enough to total it. I've decided that I'm just going to replace the car with something else. I love it, but I'm not in love with it like I was with my '12. Doubtful that I will get another CT unless I come across a Blue Vortex or Ultra White F-sport w/Navi at an unbeatable price. Looking for a 328d, Passat TDI, Golf Sportwagen TDI, GLK250 Bluetech, or a newer GTI, or...? I just want something more capable on the highway.
Attached Thumbnails Deer vs CT-8.jpg   Deer vs CT-9.jpg   Deer vs CT-10.jpg   Deer vs CT-11.jpg   Deer vs CT-12.jpg  

Deer vs CT-13.jpg  

Last edited by CTFSportSE; 09-18-17 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added Photos
Old 09-29-17, 01:48 PM
xis
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty ironic. My White 2013 was t-boned by a Kia in the exact same spot as yours, also just a few days after I put the F Sport Trident wheels on.
It was a 3 week + repair, but you can't tell anything ever happened. They did say some impact damage in that unibody is repairable and some is not, they won't know till they put it on a rack and start pulling. If the metal doesn't tear, you should be OK
Old 09-30-17, 07:06 AM
CTFSportSE
Rookie

Originally Posted by xis
Pretty ironic. My White 2013 was t-boned by a Kia in the exact same spot as yours, also just a few days after I put the F Sport Trident wheels on.
It was a 3 week + repair, but you can't tell anything ever happened. They did say some impact damage in that unibody is repairable and some is not, they won't know till they put it on a rack and start pulling. If the metal doesn't tear, you should be OK
I've opted not to fix my car. Its going to Copart next week to be auctioned and I'll cut my losses now. Shopping has already begun and while I won't rule out another CT, I've not really been looking at them either.
Old 09-30-17, 12:53 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe this should be your next car.
The following users liked this post:
CTFSportSE (10-01-17)
Old 10-01-17, 12:33 PM
CTFSportSE
Rookie

Originally Posted by RonSwanson
I believe this should be your next car.
Oh Lort.

Got my check from the insurance company for the damages. I don't even have the title back on my CT, but it should be here no later than Wednesday and I can send it to auction. I've got an '07 IS350 to drive as a beater, but I had already put it up for sale and one of my friends took it on an extended test drive yesterday and I think she's ready to buy it. I have a 330ci convertible to drive in the meantime until I find a suitable replacement. Every time I think about making the switch from Japanese back to German for my daily driver, I'm reminded at the maintenance and upkeep. Starting to explore the IS200t.
Old 10-31-17, 07:00 AM
CTFSportSE
Rookie

I sold my CT yesterday at Copart for $9100; which I feel like was a fair price for me. I had a vacation scheduled for last week and rather than just renting a car and throwing that money away, I picked up a 2014 Camry XLE Hybrid w/13k miles for super cheap. I feel like a 90 year old man driving it, but its comfortable and the Camry has crazy-good resale value. I should be able to drive it until I find something more suitable and make around $3,500 when I sell it. Definitely more pep than my CTs, but not quite the fuel economy. I'm getting around 41 around town and 37 or so on the highway. If I REALLY get in a hurry on the Interstate, it drops to closer to 30mpg, but that's still great for 90+mph.

I haven't ruled out another CT, just haven't found the right one. HIGHLY unlikely that I will ever do another F-Sport conversion: Its just easier to buy a F-sport to get the proper steering wheel, pedals, suspension components, etc.

Last edited by CTFSportSE; 11-01-17 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Copart ended up getting me an additional $800 above the highest bid.
Old 03-30-18, 12:58 PM
turtle54
Rookie

Guys Just got my car back from the body shop, It took a week but after seeing it I did't give a ****.
They did an excellent job. There was no major damage under the hood. Had to pull the ac condenser out because it was bent in. They installed both headlights I bought with no problem but I needed to replace the ballast on that side=$50. I actually found a gold emblem for the hood. After all said and done total was $3475. The only problem I have is with the automatic
leveling light is on. These are aftermarket HID headlights that came with both motors. Does anybody out there know what the problem might be? Pics coming soon. Thanks all