CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

2013 with 25k miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-18, 12:16 AM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
Funny you mention the LED. This will probably be my first upgrade. I have also done the same on other vehicles and the 8k lumen sets can really put out some light.
Congrats on your new CT.

I just bought my CT as well and upgraded to HID's. I don't think aftermarket LED kits are developed enough yet to be as reliable as the HID kits.

I think you meant 8k as in Kelvin and not Lumens?

Here's a shot of my 35Watt 5k(kelvin) HID 's. Very happy with it. The stock halogens are no comparison. The beam is nice and even. No "hot" spots. The output is rated at 3300 lumens. I think it's pretty honest and plenty bright. They are brighter than factory RX HID's.

Old 10-04-18, 08:37 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Sfcyclist
Congrats on your new CT.

I just bought my CT as well and upgraded to HID's. I don't think aftermarket LED kits are developed enough yet to be as reliable as the HID kits.

I think you meant 8k as in Kelvin and not Lumens?

Here's a shot of my 35Watt 5k(kelvin) HID 's. Very happy with it. The stock halogens are no comparison. The beam is nice and even. No "hot" spots. The output is rated at 3300 lumens. I think it's pretty honest and plenty bright. They are brighter than factory RX HID's.

I'll have to nitpick that last statement =p

I come from HID modding community and have several retrofits under my belt over a decade. RX350 non-AFS bi-xenons are some of the (if not THE) strongest projection systems on the planet. Especially when tuned. My last CT, I did an RX350 bi-xenon projector retrofit. If you are really into lighting, you'll want to open up your CT headlights and swap in RX350 projectors. They're a direct bolt on with very minor trimming. They'll make your current setup look very poor in comparison. Ask me how I know.

The projectors in our stock CT headlights are the standard H11 halogen projectors Toyota has used in many cars for a decade. It's shared w/ Prius, Camry, Scion FRS, and many more. So a popular mod for these cars is the bolt on RX350 projectors. Totally different animal vs stuffing HID in our stock projectors. Although you physically may see light emitted from them, it's not anywhere close to optimal. RX350s have beastly distance and width. I'm wrapping up my current retrofit this weekend, finally got it fired up last night. It's supposed to rival or slightly exceed modded RX350s.

Here's my retrofit pics from a few years ago. RX350 non-AFS bi-xenon on top, stock CT/Prius/FRS/Camry projector on bottom:

Everything you'd need for a very beastly set up for your CT:

My new setup will be using these... the BEST in the business hands down. Osram CBIs. These used to be $500 a set back in the day.... if you could find them. How times have changed.
Old 10-04-18, 10:17 AM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
I'll have to nitpick that last statement =p

I come from HID modding community and have several retrofits under my belt over a decade. RX350 non-AFS bi-xenons are some of the (if not THE) strongest projection systems on the planet. Especially when tuned. My last CT, I did an RX350 bi-xenon projector retrofit. If you are really into lighting, you'll want to open up your CT headlights and swap in RX350 projectors. They're a direct bolt on with very minor trimming. They'll make your current setup look very poor in comparison. Ask me how I know.
I am certain you're referring to the 4th gen RX not the 3rd Gen.

Here's the photos... as you noted the Prius shares the same projector so I see why I found the same results.

Prius

2012 RX350

Old 10-04-18, 01:13 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure what you're saying. If the RX you reference comes with HID, then you do not have the same projectors in your CT. The projectors you have are halogen projectors. They cannot be compared to proper xenon projectors, even if you stuff an HID kit into them. Completely different class.

Also thanks for the pics but you can't compare projection performance like that. So many variables, particularly in the camera.

Moral of the story is unless you open up your headlights and replace the guts (projectors) with projectors designed for HID, then you are leaving a LOT on the table. All I am saying. If you are happy with what you've got then that's fine, but just recommending a proper upgrade from one enthusiast to another.
Old 10-04-18, 04:11 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

I am showing the output and stating the output of the 2012 RX350 HID factory system is not as good as my setup Prius or CT. You can debate about my iPhone photos but it accurately depicts the output. I have no incentive to sway the OP one way or another but just sharing what I found to work well. In fact, I didn't note which HID kit I purchased. I'm not going to get into a debate as I've been there and done that! And it's was about the same exact issues.. so to keep it friendly, all I am noting to the OP is I'm very happy with my HID kit without upgrading the projectors. These photos were taken a long time ago due to the debate. I think it's pertinent since I found the same results in the CT(as you noted, same projectors). So for about $80, I recommend it. Also should note, that I've used the setup like this for over 5 years in the Prius and no issues with blinding others or reliability. Though it was a different HID kit, my point is the output is the halogen projector with HID kit, is better than the factory HID system in my RX350.

It's nice to know the RX350 has nice projectors and superior but the output is definitely lacking.
Old 10-04-18, 11:22 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I come from forums where light modding IS the culture. a specific culture. We're absolute snobs against stuffing "xenon" or "hid kits" where they don't belong--halogen-based projection systems and worse yet, reflection systems. You also have to take into account HID bulbs have a very short half life in terms of use hours, so it's possible that RX you were testing had old stuff in it. Also do not make the noob mistake of mistaking foreground for performance. See that kid in his boosted hopped up $500 civic with a $20 8000k HID kit pull up next to you with a flood of blue light right in front of his car? His lights apparently "outperforming" your brand new BMW? That may be fine looking for lost change but not when you're doing 100 on the autobahn. Proper HID projectors are tuned for even disperaion at distance at speed. A kid with a $20 kit will wash out any $100,000 luxury car at a stop light but look al ittle further and you'll see what I mean.

Objectively speaking the performance you posted a few posts above is poor. Not by any fault of your own, just a byproduct of stuffing a kit into a halogen system. HID optics are extremely precise and the entire system is built around it. The salt mixtures in the bulbs are proprietary and are million dollar secrets by the big OEMs. This is why professional grade bulbs are important as well. There's about a dozen other sub topics you aren't even aware of, but I'll save those for another time. I can talk about this all day. If you still want to debate, you can check out hidplanet and tell them Toyota H11 halogen projectors w/ re-based HID kit (by the way it doesn't matter what kit you bought, no OEM-grade companies offer re-based bulbs) Xenon bulbs should be replaced every 3 years. There are worse offenders than the setup you have but i would not even begin to compare it with Koito non-AFS bi-xenon units. Not even the same galaxy. Don't mean to criticise your system but I do like to call out misinformation. Perhaps I can persuade you to get a real setup as you seem like a nice enough guy. I'd be willing to help you out. I've done two CT retrofits so far. and one prius. So i'm very familiar with the toyota system.

Anyway here's a preview of my system buttoned up, but not yet fine tuned. I still haven't wired the bi-xenon. When I do, I'll have quad-highs. And I plan to add real LED fogs. Not those eBay bulbs people adapt. Entire replacement units.

Anyway These are Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0s. They're designed to be replicas of the RX350 units. I kind of wish I had gotten RX350s again... i may in a few months and put these up for sale. They're running on professional "military grade" CBI D2S bulbs. The absolute best in the business hands down. Keep in mind the bulbs are brand new so they do have to break in. All in all, I'm satisfied. I miss my tuned E46 system.

Old 10-04-18, 11:27 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Also another note is OEMs avoid foreground in favor for even dispersion. This is because eye fatigue. You have to see the big picture. Not just omg 20 ft in front of me so bright. look for an even blanket of distance projection and width. You can see IIHS studies on this as well.
Old 10-08-18, 10:41 AM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Your initial point about RX projectors being the " strongest projection systems on the planet" was never clarified. Then late you note "so it's possible that RX you were testing had old stuff in it". And also about the photos lacking.. these repetitive comments to discredit my results are not appreciated.

My reference is the original factory RX350 HID system. It's all all original since we bought the car new. As you admitted, you are a snob it's obvious.

To the OP Lexuslsguy, good luck with your pursuit for better lighting. I found an easy solution.
Old 10-08-18, 07:53 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

If you are driving at 100+ mph on ANY roads at night, you are OVER DRIVING even some of the better OEM normal large volume production cars. This means at night YOU WILL arrive at a spot ahead of you (while going 100+ mph) WAY AHEAD BEFORE YOUR WHATEVER MILLION DOLLAR R&D FUNDED HEADLIGHTS CAN EVEN PAINT ITS LIGHT ON THAT SPOT!!! Essentially you are driving blind. That's why on better highways, there are street lights "paint" the roads ahead so you can see BEFORE your headlights can. If you are driving in total darkness as in some country roads, your headlights are useless if you are going 100+ mph.

Of course, cars like the Bugatti Veyron MAY have "better lighting systems"? IDK.

Originally Posted by E46CT
I come from forums where light modding IS the culture. a specific culture. We're absolute snobs against stuffing "xenon" or "hid kits" where they don't belong--halogen-based projection systems and worse yet, reflection systems. You also have to take into account HID bulbs have a very short half life in terms of use hours, so it's possible that RX you were testing had old stuff in it. Also do not make the noob mistake of mistaking foreground for performance. See that kid in his boosted hopped up $500 civic with a $20 8000k HID kit pull up next to you with a flood of blue light right in front of his car? His lights apparently "outperforming" your brand new BMW? That may be fine looking for lost change but not when you're doing 100 on the autobahn. Proper HID projectors are tuned for even disperaion at distance at speed. A kid with a $20 kit will wash out any $100,000 luxury car at a stop light but look al ittle further and you'll see what I mean.

Objectively speaking the performance you posted a few posts above is poor. Not by any fault of your own, just a byproduct of stuffing a kit into a halogen system. HID optics are extremely precise and the entire system is built around it. The salt mixtures in the bulbs are proprietary and are million dollar secrets by the big OEMs. This is why professional grade bulbs are important as well. There's about a dozen other sub topics you aren't even aware of, but I'll save those for another time. I can talk about this all day. If you still want to debate, you can check out hidplanet and tell them Toyota H11 halogen projectors w/ re-based HID kit (by the way it doesn't matter what kit you bought, no OEM-grade companies offer re-based bulbs) Xenon bulbs should be replaced every 3 years. There are worse offenders than the setup you have but i would not even begin to compare it with Koito non-AFS bi-xenon units. Not even the same galaxy. Don't mean to criticise your system but I do like to call out misinformation. Perhaps I can persuade you to get a real setup as you seem like a nice enough guy. I'd be willing to help you out. I've done two CT retrofits so far. and one prius. So i'm very familiar with the toyota system.

Anyway here's a preview of my system buttoned up, but not yet fine tuned. I still haven't wired the bi-xenon. When I do, I'll have quad-highs. And I plan to add real LED fogs. Not those eBay bulbs people adapt. Entire replacement units.

Anyway These are Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0s. They're designed to be replicas of the RX350 units. I kind of wish I had gotten RX350s again... i may in a few months and put these up for sale. They're running on professional "military grade" CBI D2S bulbs. The absolute best in the business hands down. Keep in mind the bulbs are brand new so they do have to break in. All in all, I'm satisfied. I miss my tuned E46 system.