CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

E46CT CT200h Diary (w/ pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 11:02 AM
80mphCT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Where did you read that Hawaii got its own version of the CT200h with HID? That makes no sense and would not be very economic for Toyota to do for just one state of one country in the entire world. I've never heard of that.
i was just looking at them and remembered someone had one in Hawaii. So I went decided to look for CT’s for sale in Hawaii and found a good amount with those headlamps. Spanning from 2012 if I’m not mistaken

a quick one I found
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6678/overview/
Old 08-25-20, 12:44 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by 80mphCT
i was just looking at them and remembered someone had one in Hawaii. So I went decided to look for CT’s for sale in Hawaii and found a good amount with those headlamps. Spanning from 2012 if I’m not mistaken

a quick one I found
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6678/overview/
Those are LEDs.
Old 08-25-20, 12:53 PM
80mphCT
Driver School Candidate

Those are LEDs.
ok but besides that I have been asking if they would just be a plug and play. I really like the look of those headlamps more than the standard ones we get in the rest of the US
Old 08-25-20, 01:28 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Doubt it. They'd be prohibitively expensive anyway, all for what amounts to mediocre performance. those are toyota's 1st-gen LED headlamps so they're pretty weak and ineffective. that's why they're using twin projectors. they're the same units in the 2010 Prius with its LED option which are regarded as pretty poor for distance illumination. Rode in a friend's 2010 Prius with them and they were pretty poor. he had to drive with his high beams on. We went on a road trip together in that car. Plenty of width, but couldn't do highway driving in pitch dark with just the low beams.
The following users liked this post:
TobiasSing (08-25-20)
Old 08-25-20, 01:35 PM
80mphCT
Driver School Candidate

Doubt it. They'd be prohibitively expensive anyway, all for what amounts to mediocre performance. those are toyota's 1st-gen LED headlamps so they're pretty weak and ineffective. that's why they're using twin projectors. they're the same units in the 2010 Prius with its LED option which are regarded as pretty poor for distance illumination. Rode in a friend's 2010 Prius with them and they were pretty poor. he had to drive with his high beams on. We went on a road trip together in that car. Plenty of width, but couldn't do highway driving in pitch dark with just the low beams.
well thanks for the clarification.
have you ever seen the
SHIMAMOKU
ESPRESSO WOOD* the interior applique (dash panels) tried to find that too but only see it on their brochures. But no where to purchase it
Old 08-25-20, 01:50 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Probably. Check eBay for used parts. Everything else will be very custom order and very custom expensive: https://lexusboutique.net/collections/ct/CT?page=1

Lots of nice stuff on that page but its too much money. I'd buy the front fog light bezels or the latest facelifted f sport, but only if they were at a fair price, but only the rear bezels are on that site and they're expensive and ugly.
Old 08-25-20, 01:57 PM
80mphCT
Driver School Candidate

Probably. Check eBay for used parts. Everything else will be very custom order and very custom expensive: https://lexusboutique.net/collections/ct/CT?page=1

Lots of nice stuff on that page but its too much money. I'd buy the front fog light bezels or the latest facelifted f sport, but only if they were at a fair price, but only the rear bezels are on that site and they're expensive and ugly.
I been able to find some of the stuff from there on eBay. Like the oem window visors
been trying to look everywhere for that little interior piece can’t find it.
i agree on the rear ones ugly and over done. I’m on the verge to purchase the whole exhaust and diffuser.
I have the black chrome grille garnish coming in soon.
Old 09-14-20, 08:55 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Installed this cheap dash from from Amazon. Small, discreet, inexpensive. Had some hiccups setting it up due to instinctively disabling GPS upon setup of the app--took me a day to figure it out cause the app is in Chinese. I used google translator using my phone's camera to figure it out.

Tip on app setup: Plug it into a USB power source at home, connect your phone to the Dashcam's wifi network and install and run the 70Mai app. **Make sure you enable GPS/location** when setting up the app or the app will not run through the activation process. It is strange that the camera requires an app to activate it but I'm not surprised given thats the state of everything these days. A discussion for another forum.

Anyway I hard wired the camera by purchasing a female cigarette adapter also on amazon, plugged the camera into that, and hard wired the 12V+ to the baby blue (thick) wire on the tailgate windshield wiper motor harness using a wire tap. Then simply grounded to the stock ground on the tail gate using the female cigaratte lighter adapter which comes a terminal already installed. Yes I could've done a cleaner hard-wire instead of using a cigaratte lighter but i was feeling lazy and wanted to plug and play as much as possible. Plus the cigarette lighter adapter comes with a fuse and fuse holder with cover. So that alone was worth the $8. I zip tied all the wires and everything works perfectly. And you can watch the dash cam from your phone app. The only thing I don't like is the dash cam has a chime and a little robot voice that says "powering on" or some ish like that. Apparently there's a way to disable it with a little hack Still working on that. For now i have the volume set to low and it's not that big of a deal.

The quality of the video is just OK but more than enough to prove your innocence should something happen to your car.

Yes there are much better cams out there but for nearly 10x the price. This is just a rear cam so I'm good!

I am kind of peeved I centered the cam too perfectly as the defroster line is in the way. A little to the left or to the right would've been nice. Oh well.

Last edited by E46CT; 09-14-20 at 09:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by E46CT:
Raidin (10-09-20), Vegasaurus (10-06-20)
Old 10-06-20, 02:45 PM
Vegasaurus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the writeup. I need a rear cam as well.
Old 10-07-20, 07:46 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

I didn't go looking for it, but thought you wired your reverse camera to a switch? Or button rather.
Or maybe that was the IS.

Old 10-09-20, 08:29 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I didn't go looking for it, but thought you wired your reverse camera to a switch? Or button rather.
Or maybe that was the IS.
That was just the back up camera, not a dash cam. And although I wired it that way and it did activate the rear back up cam, it activates the reverse lights. Thankfully, the button does not also activate reverse.

I would need to use some relays to make it work properly. It was just a fun little experiment. I need to disconnect it.
Old 12-15-20, 07:31 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Finally fixed my steering wheel trim squeak which I previously mis-diagnosed as a defective clock spring. I used automotive-grade insulating tape around key areas of the trim. Worked like a charm. While I was at it, I experimented vinyl-wrapping. At first I tried a two-piece solution but it looked like crap. So I took a chance and went one piece. To my surprise, one piece worked, but was very difficult given the contours and edges. I did my best to make sure it doesn't peel, it's heat-treated and shrunk around the edges. But no biggy if it does peel, I'll just paint it.

Also to my surprise, no shenanigans required. Air bag pull (and move) was easy, no need to disconnect airbag or battery. Just gently move it to the top of the steering wheel with wires connected and let it rest as you work on the trim. A few screws hold the trim to the steering wheel, easily accessible from the front. Once the screws are removed, there's two wiring harnesses that attach to the trim, you have to cut two small zip ties and un-route the wire harnesses from both the wheel and the trim. Then once the trim is free, 6 more screws hold the electronic controls to the trim, then you can do as you please with the trim.

Wrapping the trim with one piece was hard and does take experience. But film is cheap so give it a shot. I used the new trim by Vvivid which is their newest technology. I've never seen vinyl so paint like.

The following users liked this post:
Raidin (12-15-20)
Old 12-15-20, 07:36 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and one tip... when you re attach the airbag by pressing it into the steering wheel, the horn would honk. It requires some firm presses, so I looked for a horn fuse... nada. The horn fuse is blank (common head-scratcher on prius forums too) and since the battery is buried deep, i didn't want to deal with it, I tried, then saw how deep the battery is and how hidden the wires are. Doable but didn't want to tear apart everything and cut up my hands. Plus i have amp wiring down there and stuff.

Easy solution? Open the hood, pull the front plastic upper tray off by using your fingers, then simply reach down and unplug both horns. Voila.
Old 12-15-20, 07:54 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Also a few weeks ago I did the mirror triangles on the inside... came out looking spectacular. i did this with the older vinyl too which isn't as glossier. hard to capture in pics but it looks premium in person.

Old 12-22-20, 01:01 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

As I suspected, the click click click click sound I was getting coming to a stop under light braking did turn out to be the driver's axle, outboard CV joint. My suspicions were confirmed. I repacked the axle with Timken grease and the noise went away. Tested it 4x after getting the axle hot while driving. The sound does come back, though very faintly, while performing the same braking action while turning right. However the noise while going straight (which was before very noticeable, is completely gone now) So I suspect either I didn't pack with enough new grease, or the wear was too great and this is good as it's going to get. It's possible the stock grease was so worn out that its thin viscosity (it did seem runny) means it isn't coating the internal bearings sufficiently, causing play.

I was shocked that the stock grease caused the axle noise. There seemed to be a ton of grease in there but just old and gray looking. The new grease is a clear gold color. I didn't do a super thorough job at repacking as it's a tight fit and I really don't feel like popping the axle nut. I scooped out whatever old grease I could and slathered in new grease. EXTREMELY. MESSY. JOB.

I'm happy though.. technically I did bring the car in under warranty for this noise but they wanted $90 an hour to diagnose and said I was on the hook in case the problem isn't a warrantied item. I could probably raise stink about it but I'll just install a new axle down the road if it comes to it. For now it's quiet happy and normal and all is well.

Quick Reply: E46CT CT200h Diary (w/ pictures)