CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Rough engine start? Misfires? Low Coolant? Check here for EGR and Head Gasket Info!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-22, 07:16 PM
MikeMendy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time I’ve posted in here.. hoping for some quick help!

I own a 2013 CT with 82,000 miles. Since about mid December (which also happened to be the last time I got the car serviced at Lexus) I’ve been periodically noticing a rough engine start, and a bit of “gurgling”. But this morning, upon start, the car had a violent start and then rumbled for about 12-15 seconds while idling. Once the vehicle shifted into gear, the rumbling stopped and the car was driving smooth. However, about a mile into my drive, going about 30 mph, the check engine light flicked on. I brought the car in to get checked out. The mechanic is telling me the most cost effective option is to buy a used motor and replace the entire motor in my vehicle.. He’s telling me it’s more cost effective to replace the entire motor (around $8500….) as opposed to opening the engine up and hoping the parts can be replaced.

I’m not very well versed under the hood, but he’s telling me because this is an Atinkinson (?) motor, the metal cannot be machined, and once damaged there’s nothing that can be done to salvage the engine. Does this sound correct? I’m going to call around some other shops tomorrow, but I’m curious if you guys think:

(a) that is a correct diagnostic or if they are trying to oversell?
(b) if coolant leaking into heads renders the engine unusable?
(c) what type of costs should actually be associated with a full motor swap?
(d) shouldn’t this have been caught in December if they serviced the cooling system? (That sounds like a lot of damage to occur in a short timespan)

Thank you so much!
Old 03-02-22, 07:39 PM
TobiasSing
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

It sounds like the head gasket has failed. Your post says you're in California. I recommend "Gasket Masters" to come out to you and service your car for way cheaper than that. https://www.gasketmasters.com/
The following users liked this post:
internalau (04-12-22)
Old 03-10-22, 06:38 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeMendy
First time I’ve posted in here.. hoping for some quick help!

I own a 2013 CT with 82,000 miles. Since about mid December (which also happened to be the last time I got the car serviced at Lexus) I’ve been periodically noticing a rough engine start, and a bit of “gurgling”. But this morning, upon start, the car had a violent start and then rumbled for about 12-15 seconds while idling. Once the vehicle shifted into gear, the rumbling stopped and the car was driving smooth. However, about a mile into my drive, going about 30 mph, the check engine light flicked on. I brought the car in to get checked out. The mechanic is telling me the most cost effective option is to buy a used motor and replace the entire motor in my vehicle.. He’s telling me it’s more cost effective to replace the entire motor (around $8500….) as opposed to opening the engine up and hoping the parts can be replaced.

I’m not very well versed under the hood, but he’s telling me because this is an Atinkinson (?) motor, the metal cannot be machined, and once damaged there’s nothing that can be done to salvage the engine. Does this sound correct? I’m going to call around some other shops tomorrow, but I’m curious if you guys think:

(a) that is a correct diagnostic or if they are trying to oversell?
(b) if coolant leaking into heads renders the engine unusable?
(c) what type of costs should actually be associated with a full motor swap?
(d) shouldn’t this have been caught in December if they serviced the cooling system? (That sounds like a lot of damage to occur in a short timespan)

Thank you so much!
Hey Mike,

You shouldn't need to swap for a new engine at 82k miles. Sounds suspicious. What did the OBD reading say? The EGR system and IM could be starting to get clogged up but even that's unlikely which such low mileage unless you are using cheap gas or do long oil changing interval, . Don't post your questions on this sticky thread but repost it in the normal thread since most of the regulars, who are very helpful, read those.
The following users liked this post:
internalau (04-12-22)
Old 10-27-22, 08:16 PM
lastguy
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

4th or PDF srv manual link failed, may be google problem?
Old 07-30-24, 01:16 PM
Awells1980
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank you for this informative post. It’s helpful post like this that keeps me coming

Thank you for this informative post. It’s helpful post like this that keeps me coming Back for more and it is an inspiration for me to help people in any possible way I can. Thanks guys!
Old Today, 12:09 AM
Kevinprold
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?????? ??? - ????

?????? ??? - ???? ?????? ???? ??????? hitman-assasin