CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Another EGR quesiton (confirming replacement parts)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-19, 05:14 AM
NudleBoy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Another EGR quesiton (confirming replacement parts)

Apologies for another EGR question, but I just want to confirm my purchases before I go ahead and buy them.

I should be buying the EGR cooler and Intake manifold, is that correct? I also have that common issue where the engine knocks, but it's only on cold early morning start ups. I'm at 210,000km if that matters to anyone.

I believe I was reading I could pretty much clean out the EGR valve itself as well as that small pipe that goes from the EGR valve to the intake manifold but apparently it's not worth cleaning out the cooler and manifold. Or should I also be replacing the EGR valve as well?

Are there any other recommended items I should be purchasing? Gaskets or anything.

I believe these are the compatible parts that I can buy.

https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.c...BoCbZwQAvD_BwE

https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.c...BoCTvoQAvD_BwE

Last edited by NudleBoy; 05-15-19 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-15-19, 06:49 AM
spiral
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Those are the correct parts, however I would encourage you to try cleaning them first. at 210k km they shouldn't be that dirty or clogged, so they should clean up pretty easily. Yes the EGR pipe and valve need to be cleaned, but the build up on the pipe is just a tell-tale sign your cooler is clogged. If you don't want to get your hands dirty, I have had awesome results with a shop cleaning them with and Ultrasonic Bath. I know other shops use chemical cleaning agents. Over on Priuschat, a bunch swear by oxy-clean, ez-off oven cleaner, and a good ole power washer. The gaskets should be ok unless you notice any defects. The EGR cooler uses metal gaskets on both ends, so it's just the orange intake gaskets that would be the biggest concern, but they don't take too much abuse. Pay particular attention to the small orange o-ring gasket when you remove the egr pipe that attaches to the intake so you don't lose that one. I would definitely clean the intake with a pressure washer. You don't get the build up quite like the cooler. But if you would rather just buy new, no judgement here.

Another [cheaper] option is to get them used (lets call this set "B"), clean "B" up, then swap out the current ones ("A"). Then once you're off and running with "B" installed, clean up "A" so you can swap those back in after another year or 100k km.

Before:

After Ultrasonic cleaner (i dont' have pictures of the cooler yet):

Old 05-15-19, 09:35 AM
NudleBoy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is awesome information. Thank you for all this.

I already went ahead and purchased a new EGR Cooler and Intake Manifold along with the Manifold Gasket. I figured I just want to get it fixed, and I'll keep the old pieces to clean and prep in case I need to fix it again. I don't have much off time so I can't really take the parts out and have it cleaned for 2-3 days.

I never really thought about going used, but I figured I'd bite the bullet. The cars been amazing so I don't mind investing a bit. 210,000km feels like nothing to me in comparison to others on this forum. It's definitely better to do this now than a head gasket later.
Old 05-15-19, 11:39 AM
14ct200h
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you feel difference after doing the EGR cleaning? Going to do this really soon