CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Sunroof Piece Fell Out...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 08:43 AM
krabizz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sunroof Piece Fell Out...

Hello! Recent CT200h purchaser here! I have a 2014 and I'm starting to find little things wrong with my car. Nothing major and mechanically it seems great. But the other day my sunroof seemed to be jammed and wouldn't close all the way. I was able to get it to close finally after nudging it more inline. Then after testing it a little more, this rubber/plastic part just fell into my lap. After digging more, it doesn't seem structural or related to weather proofing. There are 2 plastic clips on the back side and the bottom (right side in the picture) is rubber. I tried to put it back as well, but either it cannot be reattached without removing the whole glass portion or my piece is too bent to fit back in. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience digging into the sunroof and may be able to point me in the best course of action. It still opens and closes just fine. When open, the curved section in the middle seems to sit just on the back opening on the roof.

Old 05-21-19, 08:48 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,644 Posts

its probably just a trim piece. hard to say. look at the other side and see how it sticks in and try to copy. i'll look at mine later if i can remember. it's probably fine w/o
Old 05-21-19, 09:42 AM
krabizz
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I'm not super concerned. We had some storms last night where I'm at and no water got in. It's just held in by 2 plastic clips that broke, which is why it couldn't be structural at all. Its kind of sandwiched between 2 more rubber guides too. Whenever I get around to finding the part, I'll take a stab at it if its reasonably cheap.
Old 05-21-19, 10:27 AM
ramenboy
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah, we've got rain again today, but once i get in the garage, i'll take a look at my sunroof too. it kinda looks like one of the guides that's on either either side of the sunroof.

like you said, at least it wasn't anything related to weather proofing, so the interior is dry
Old 05-21-19, 12:32 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,644 Posts

somehow it got chewed up. does anyone stick their hands up there, kids maybe? I don't see how that piece can get jammed without a major defect or other intevention. i looked at mine and there seems to be two flaps per side.
Old 05-21-19, 01:00 PM
spiral
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

When I replaced my sunroof with an entirely new frame and glass, i found that trim piece on both sides had to come off to get to the screws. I found the easiest way to get it off/on is to just "open" the roof once (twice moves it backward) and it just pops off and back on. Just make sure the back portion is behind that other plastic thingy in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Old 05-21-19, 01:03 PM
spiral
Pit Crew

you might be able to use a heat gun to slightly warm it (i wouldn't get to crazy) to bend the warps back straight.

oh i see you said it broke. nvm. it's just a trim piece to cover the screws.
Old 05-21-19, 02:02 PM
krabizz
Driver School Candidate

Those pictures should be amazingly helpful spiral! And I guess less broken and more chewed up. As you could see on the back side with the plastic mounts when you took yours off, there are slightly locking clips that go back on to the metal rail. I'll have to look closer when I'm home. The black sliding piece in the bottom right that you pointed out seemed a tiny bit bent too if i remember right.

And I know that I personally haven't stuck anything in the sunroof but as for the previous 39k miles I can't speak to them.

Also we are all talking about rain and I just realized its because we are all in Illinois somewhere.
Old 05-21-19, 03:12 PM
krabizz
Driver School Candidate

Update! So I took a look at it and was able to put the piece back. I assumed it was mangled from getting caught in the sunroof somehow. But it looks like it has been caught on one of the other rubber guides for much longer.

Correct not broken side.

Middle rubber section bent.

So yeah. It looks like something happened during the previous owners time. The rubber got bent and then got caught on another rubber piece. I'd probably have to replace both pieces to get it to fit correctly. I'm gonna go out and do a closer inspection on the roof to make sure nothing metal is bent that would lead me to believe it was mistreated but I might just leave this alone. I dug around on the parts side and couldn't find something similar so I'll have to dig more if I want to replace it. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-21-19, 08:11 PM
spiral
Pit Crew

you may be able to soften the plastic with a heat gun (not a lot, just little at a time) until you can "re-shape" all the pieces to fit properly. There is plenty of room so you can close the window with all parts in the proper place when it cools. I tried to find the part as well, just to give it a name, it wasn't coming up with anything either. I messed with all those parts too when I replaced the unit and nothing was too terrible. But at least the mystery is solved. I'll go out and look at my old unit to see if any of those pieces are there, but I am thinking they are part of the car frame and not the window frame.
Old 05-22-19, 06:25 AM
krabizz
Driver School Candidate

After I took all of those pictures I noticed something. The black square piece that slides back and forth has a sort of hook on the back of it to keep it from moving too far forward. It looks like that clip had bent and it got stuck further forward than it was supposed to be. I'm guessing that being too far forward made it get caught in the other piece and here we are. But I will see if i can bend it back with some heat. I'm gonna be stuck in rain for like the next week so no idea when I'll be able to take care of it.
Old 05-22-19, 06:43 AM
spiral
Pit Crew

Talking

[QUOTE=krabizz;10523579I'm gonna be stuck in rain for like the next week so no idea when I'll be able to take care of it.[/QUOTE]

i read this and thought, huh, I too will be stuck in rain for a week. Then see you're in IL too!! hahahah. Well if you are on the west side of the state, I have a dry garage you can use .
Old 05-22-19, 07:37 AM
krabizz
Driver School Candidate

haha I noticed that too. I'm near STL so I got fun tornado stuff yesterday in addition to rain. I'm not sure if I'll even mess with it any time soon. I need a heat gun first. I might even just leave the piece off. I feel better know that my car isn't in great condition. It feels more natural as I came from some janky high mileage cars lol
The following users liked this post:
spiral (05-22-19)
Old 05-22-19, 07:44 PM
spiral
Pit Crew

I a little further north in the QCA A hair dryer would work too, but no harm in leaving it off either.
Old 05-23-19, 08:45 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

This is a problem I've been having since mid to late 2017. I stopped using the moonroof in 2018 because I found the problem and have been debating since to take it to the dealer or my shop.

I've decided to have it looked at at my shop, and the problem as essentially the same as yours, krabizz.

There's a piece of plastic trim that has become loose and moves freely with the moonroof, which causes it to be at the wrong place when closing. This forces the piece pictured here to close down and jam against it, as you pointed out in your photos (my moonroof looked exactly the same before we took this piece out).

This happened by itself, btw. I never mess with my moonroof. My only theory is that this may be due to opening and closing the moonroof at high speed (highway speeds), though I am rarely going beyond 60-75 MPH. Maybe with wind too?

Anyway, it seems (according to my mechanic) that this piece is there to block the wind from coming in through the sides, so it's safe to use the moonroof without it.

We ordered the piece from Lexus, it's about $30-$35 (can't remember the exact price). I'll keep you posted on how things go.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Piece Fell Out...