CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Wind deflectors, any study/experience on mileage impact and noise generation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 03:10 PM
liera21
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Wind deflectors, any study/experience on mileage impact and noise generation?

Hey everyone, I'm a 2014 CT 200h F-Sport owner for two months and already doing minimal non-destructive mods, I'm looking at adding wind deflectors because I like to leave windows open as the car stays under the sun but don't want to make it obvious and also minimize dust and water intrusion.

As the CT was created with cabin nose reduction and drag coefficient in mind, I don't want to affect those drastically as well, what has been your experience with them, both sunroof and side window air deflectors? Any studies you know about and don't mind sharing?

With trunk platform bike rack
Old 10-22-19, 03:43 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Welcome. Nice car. We're almost twins. I haven't seen any studies, really. I mean ultimately you are adding drag any time you add things that stick out, but it's probably minimal.

Old 10-22-19, 04:27 PM
liera21
Rookie

Thank you, I love it so far, I've been reading plenty here and big fan of your writeups!

I am also hoping to see pictures of different deflectors and experiences. I had a 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 and used in-channel deflectors, it was a two door so they seem like they came with the car. I've seen stock pictures of the in-channel on CTs and don't look so good (and on most 4-door cars), I also think they will interfere with the window sealing on the door frame, windows were tight on my ZX3. The OEM ones do look good because the chrome trim matches with the car but can't pay $300-400 for them so I'm also looking for experience from people that got the cheaper ones (Wellvisors?).

Also, I feel like the sunroof deflectors will look a bit tacky, almost like those Autozone fake roof air scoops, I would like to open the sunroof more than just tilting it open while covering the opening from sun and maybe dust/leaves.

And yeah, I also think wind drag would be minimal, don't know much about noise, would it be noticeable with everything closed?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by liera21; 10-22-19 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Small edit on last sentence from second paragraph
Old 10-22-19, 04:33 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks appreciate it.

I'd consider the deflectors if they go all the way across the B pillars. I think some do some don't. They don't look good IMO when there's a gap.

Hopefully someone can chime in with their visor experience. I've thought about them myself, but I think they might be more trouble than they're worth. I wouldn't want them coming loose, falling off, having to clean underneath them. just more stuff to babysit.
Old 10-25-19, 03:33 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought these WeatherTech window deflectors for all 4 windows:

https://www.weathertech.com/lexus/20...ow-deflectors/

The driver side made too much wind noise so I took that one off and left the others mounted. That was a while ago, I might reinstall to see if I can tolerate it. They are easy to install, check out their video. The fronts slide into the channels and the rears just have a small adhesive strip. I've had window deflectors on my previous Volvo that require adhesive to mount them and they eventually loosen and came off. The WT ones seem very sturdy and secure, they will probably last the life of the car.
Old 10-28-19, 02:06 PM
liera21
Rookie

Thank you for that, I had the in-channel ones on my Focus and they looked good because it was a two-door, but they became loose and the window would jam until I pushed the visor outside from the opening and then they would be able to roll-up all the way.

I don't like how they look on four-door cars so I'm thinking of getting the OEM style cheaper ones which look like one big piece overall, I think they would be less mpg and noise friendly but shouldn't be a big margin.

I'm not leaving my sunroof open anymore, I've gotten a bunch of pine needles inside and dust has been more prevalent. I'm thinking of leaving the side windows cracked open with the visors in place. Definitely no sunroof visor.
Old 10-29-19, 12:43 PM
liera21
Rookie

Just to close on this, I was overthinking the mpg and noise impact, I ordered the OEM style ones from WellVisors.

On the picture below, one looks like a unibrow and the other like eyelids. I think the unibrow looks better here :P
Old 10-30-19, 07:46 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

they definitely look goofy with the gap..
Old 10-30-19, 08:53 AM
Miamiboy87
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought the well visors. They look nice, but the chrome starts to crack overtime and become yellow. I ended up just taking the chrome strip completely off (its glued) and then cleaned up the adhesive. Look so much better now.
The following users liked this post:
liera21 (10-30-19)
Old 10-30-19, 09:43 AM
liera21
Rookie

Thank you for the heads-up on the chrome, I wonder if adding some UV protectant, maybe a clearcoat on it would help. I'm assuming by your comment that without the trim, these would look just like the regular non-trim ones. Wellvisors have a one-year guarantee, they install with clips and 3M tape so with good prep work, these should last long.

FOR LEXUS CT200H 11-17 WITH CHROME TRIM

WELLvisors window deflectors for Lexus CT200H 11-17 With Chrome Trim
SKU: 3-847LX016
  • Injection-molded for heavy duty thickness. Made of Polycarbonate for high strength and light weight
  • Reduces sun glare for greater visibility
  • Reduce wind noise
  • Improve ventilation by letting fresh air in
  • Easy installation. No-drilling required. Visors are secured to your window with clip-on and 3M tape
  • Smooth-beveled edges and stylish smoke finish for sleek appearance
  • Limited one year warranty
Old 10-31-19, 11:57 AM
Miamiboy87
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I think part of the cracking has to do with washing the car plus the sunlight. The visors themselves are pretty good quality. I'll try to upload a closeup of them when I can. i've had them for about 2 years.
Old 11-02-19, 02:34 PM
liera21
Rookie

So I got my visors and installed them! Got them from Amazon and delivery was quick (prime), first thoughts: Packaging is spot on,the chrome trim has a protective layer that peels off, the metal clips are surrounded by adhesive foam pieces, each visor is in its own foam pouch, then all wrapped together in big bubble wrap then all in a dedicated long box. Even after all this, I still got a couple of small dings in the chrome trim, most likely from the metal clips but no scratches and the pieces look like quality.

Installation was easy and they look awesome! That is, until you realize that the 3M double sided adhesive tape is not sticking to the car trim, even after cleaning with alcohol and using clamps to help with adhesion. Visors are on but sections of it are loose and the rear left lifts up so not happy about it.

I messaged the seller about it and got a prompt response offering new tape and adhesive promoter, I think this is pretty cool but wish they included the promoter in the package, I think that the visors are so old by now that the adhesive is going bad somehow. I used 303 UV protectant to the trim and visors and will use every time I do the inside hoping it will help with the chrome cracking issue, I will follow-up after installing with the new adhesive and promoters, feel free to ask anything, even for more detailed pictures

Here's the visors I bought:
Amazon Amazon
Here's a link to more detailed pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/tWiDPw0

Wellvisors front left

Wellvisors rear right
Old 11-06-19, 09:12 PM
liera21
Rookie

Just got the new adhesive and promoter, Will install over the weekend, might do the black gloss vinyl pillars

Old 11-07-19, 09:11 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

You should do the pillars. everything. it makes the car look 20x more premium. all my trim is gloss black now. don't forget mirror triangles too. and windshield posts. see my threads for pics =)

the visors look good.. but the first rains come.. i'd be worrying about it sticking. I wonder how the OEM ones mount?