CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Anyone clean their hybrid battery fan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-19, 12:45 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Default Anyone clean their hybrid battery fan?

Common service on the Prius. My CT200h is nearly 5 years, 50,000 miles so I figure it's a good time to clean it. I searched but nothing comes up. I imagine it's basically stripping down the interior until I get to the fan. Maybe i'll be the one that has to do a DIY on this. =(

I notice the engine revving high and hanging.. and I figured out whats causing it.. its basically when the car gets heat soaked and thus the battery gets hot. I have a feeling Toyota programmed the battery to deliver less juice when it gets hot therefore the engine in turn rev hangs so it's ready to spin up since it needs to compensate for reduced battery output. Which got me thinking maybe it will help if my battery fan is cleaned. It's not a big problem, just happens once in a while particularly then the car sits in the sun or when its hot outside.
Old 11-19-19, 02:39 PM
TheRob
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally haven’t done this myself but I have watched a video from ChrisFix where he changes out the hybrid battery of a Prius and cleans the hybrid battery cooling fan in the process. I’m assuming the process should be about the same in a CT. Here’s the link to the video.

The following users liked this post:
internalau (04-21-22)
Old 11-19-19, 04:37 PM
eddie25
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it recently. It's very easy (45 mi to an hour). I found a "dismantling guide" somewhere on the net that I think is just a portion of the service manual that shows how to get to the battery. I can send it to you if you need.

You do have to unbolt the back seats, the guide tells you to CUT! your middle seat-belt, which you definitely don't have to do. You can just unbolt the seats and move them forward to allow the clearance you need.

You can see into your battery fan in the CT200h unlike a Prius. Use a flashlight and you can tell how bad it is. Mine was not terrible, but clearly dusty. All I did was use some of the q-tip style cleaners to wipe the dust then used my air compressor to blow it out. No liquids at all, it ended up good as new in about 10-20 minutes.

I noticed no change, my battery still gets hot and the fan is still not that effective. if I had to do it again I might actually remove the WHOLE battery and see if I could get a full clean out of the battery air flow system. I suspect other parts get dusty besides the fan. I also suspect the temperature has more to do with battery health than fan cleanliness, but it's nice to get it done.

Do you use Hybrid Assistant? You can monitor your battery temps and fan speed and even turn the fan to high. Great app.
internalau (04-21-22)
Old 11-20-19, 06:23 AM
spiral
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I've thought about it, more so recently since I've been a bit more proactive about stuff on this car, just haven't had the time to dig further. I'm at 240k now (geez just shy of 40k on this new engine, yikes) but Dr. Prius app doesn't seem to be concerned about the temps, though tbh i don't know what the expected values should be.
Old 11-21-19, 08:09 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheRob
I personally haven’t done this myself but I have watched a video from ChrisFix where he changes out the hybrid battery of a Prius and cleans the hybrid battery cooling fan in the process. I’m assuming the process should be about the same in a CT. Here’s the link to the video.

https://youtu.be/Q3RCdrh666w
thanks but ive seen these years ago. i know how to search. its just that CT200h has a different interior so i'm looking for specific info.
Old 11-21-19, 08:11 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eddie25
I did it recently. It's very easy (45 mi to an hour). I found a "dismantling guide" somewhere on the net that I think is just a portion of the service manual that shows how to get to the battery. I can send it to you if you need.

You do have to unbolt the back seats, the guide tells you to CUT! your middle seat-belt, which you definitely don't have to do. You can just unbolt the seats and move them forward to allow the clearance you need.

You can see into your battery fan in the CT200h unlike a Prius. Use a flashlight and you can tell how bad it is. Mine was not terrible, but clearly dusty. All I did was use some of the q-tip style cleaners to wipe the dust then used my air compressor to blow it out. No liquids at all, it ended up good as new in about 10-20 minutes.

I noticed no change, my battery still gets hot and the fan is still not that effective. if I had to do it again I might actually remove the WHOLE battery and see if I could get a full clean out of the battery air flow system. I suspect other parts get dusty besides the fan. I also suspect the temperature has more to do with battery health than fan cleanliness, but it's nice to get it done.

Do you use Hybrid Assistant? You can monitor your battery temps and fan speed and even turn the fan to high. Great app.
very good info. i did not know you can see the fan. i'll have to check it out. i assume you mean through the screen in the interior. i wish toyota made this simple by installing a window or something. definitely not cutting my seatbelt! I have the CT200h repair manual thanks to this forum so i'll check it out. And i'll check out that app. i assume i need an OBD2 BT dongle.

mine is a 2015 so i assume its still clean and healthy. just trying to be proactive
Old 11-21-19, 01:51 PM
eddie25
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's the guide I used:

https://iagresearch.com.au/images/st...ual_ct200h.pdf

Only the steps necessary to get to the fan obviously, around pages 20-25.

Hybrid Assistant does require the OBDII dongle. It's a must have for the CT, you'll love it. I like that I can also monitor coolant temps on my 2011 in hopes that if I ever have water pump failure I can catch it before it blows my head gasket.
internalau (04-21-22)
Old 11-23-19, 12:26 AM
LoLexCT200
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

i use an App "Dr. Prius" iOS and Android available. has a free demo mode, from menu screen options allows u to turn on/off seat belt and reverse chime/alarm. screen that monitors & reads hybrid battery temp/voltage/charge, also reads/clears error codes. in the help/support section they provide a link to find and buy right type of OBDII Bluetooth dongle. a must have for any DIY types using using this forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by LoLexCT200:
E46CT (11-25-19), internalau (04-21-22)
Old 11-25-19, 12:18 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LoLexCT200
i use an App "Dr. Prius" iOS and Android available. has a free demo mode, from menu screen options allows u to turn on/off seat belt and reverse chime/alarm. screen that monitors & reads hybrid battery temp/voltage/charge, also reads/clears error codes. in the help/support section they provide a link to find and buy right type of OBDII Bluetooth dongle. a must have for any DIY types using using this forum.
Thanks for the tip.. that chime has been nagging. on my previous 2016 CT F sport, i had the dealer remove it. nice knowing you can do this yourself nowadays without a giant laptop

Just ordered the Veepak OBD2 dongle. seems like the best one without gimmicks.

Last edited by E46CT; 11-25-19 at 12:24 PM.