CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Factory Recommended Service

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-20, 12:34 PM
Miamiboy87
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Factory Recommended Service

My CT is up for it's 60k/72mi service soon. Any idea what the cost for this is? I got quoted about $372 from one shop, and owner noted that it was per Lexus Service manual. What are you guys paying or doing it yourselves?
Old 01-23-20, 06:42 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

You should ask the shop for the detailed list of EXACTLY what they will do for the $372!!!

I've sold my 2013 CT200h a few months ago and it had some 65K miles on the odometer. As I recall the CT was a VERY LOW COST car to maintain. Oil change, engine air filter, and cabin air filter and that were all. Other than tires which will last some 40K miles with the OEM tires. The brakes will last at least 80K++++ miles due to regenerative braking (mine still had the original brakes). If you plan on keeping the CT for a long time, then I would do a transmission fluid exchange (very cheap if DYI, but you will need to know what you are doing. At Lexus dealership in SoCal.....around $275. Much cheaper at Toyota dealership bc it's the same as the Pruis. They will tell you the transmission fluid is lifetime......but only if you keep it for short term. )

If you do your own oil change which will cost around $40 or less for the Mobile One synthetic oil (one gallon/5 quarts at Walmart is around $29). Engine air filter is a round $19 or cheaper (more like $6 for aftermarket). Cabin air filter is around $19 OR LESS. Crush copper washer ring for the engine oil pan drain bolt is around $1.50 at Lexus dealerships (or around 15 cents each if you buy a dozen in a box from Amazon/eBay,). So total is $80 or less!!! Total time for me to do the above is about 45 minutes with a coffee break after I remove the oil pan drain bolt to let it all drain out .... After I get done I take the old used oil to Walmart or AutoZone or any big box auto parts store to dump (it's free) and I have a reusable big jug I dump the old oil in to take it to the store. This is WAY less time vs driving to the Lexus dealership and wait around or picking up the "FREE LOANER" , drove home and then drive back to pick the CT back up.

Originally Posted by Miamiboy87
My CT is up for it's 60k/72mi service soon. Any idea what the cost for this is? I got quoted about $372 from one shop, and owner noted that it was per Lexus Service manual. What are you guys paying or doing it yourselves?
The following users liked this post:
liera21 (01-24-20)
Old 01-24-20, 08:17 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,660 Posts

it's a prius. these powertrains need almost literally nothing. oil change materials are $25 for engine. $45 for transaxle. DIY easy as brushing your teeth.

change cabin air filter $7

you won't need plugs til 125k

won't need coolant til around the same 125k.

at 60k you need nothing. there's nothing to change.

that's the whole point and reason for this car and why i bought it. set it and forget it.

don't overthink and just drive.
Old 01-24-20, 02:41 PM
sjw91
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The only thing to add to that small list is changing the brake fluid. Should be done every 3 years. I just tested mine after 30K, and it's due.
Old 01-24-20, 06:23 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, forgot about this.

Brake fluid exchange is about $99 to $129 at the Toyota dealership. $169 at Lexus dealerships with all the donuts, pastries, and coffee/soda you care to drink.

Originally Posted by sjw91
The only thing to add to that small list is changing the brake fluid. Should be done every 3 years. I just tested mine after 30K, and it's due.
Old 01-24-20, 09:51 PM
liera21
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My car was due for the 100k service, I was quoted $400 at the dealership. The service main items were: oil change, tire rotation, floor mat installation, road-test and reset the maintenance reminder. Visual inspection of brake linings/drums and pads/discs, wiper blades and inspect/adjust fluids. Discount tire did a free rotation, I did the oil change, reminder reset and checked everything else.

For anyone that doesn't know yet, go to www.lexusdrivers.com, make an account and add you car's VIN number. You will get all information specific to your vehicle along with factory/port build and addons, service history and detailed maintenance schedule.

Here's the detailed 60k for my 2014:
  • Check Installation Of Driver's Floor Mat
  • Reset Oil Maintenance Reminder, if Oil was Changed
  • Perform Road-Test on Vehicle
  • Rotate Tires
  • Inspect Axle Shaft Boots
  • Inspect Body
  • Inspect Inverter Coolant
    ( Initial inverter coolant replacement at 150,000 miles/180 months. Replace every 50,000 miles/60 months thereafter.)
  • Inspect Wiper Blades
  • Inspect /Adjust All Fluid Levels
    (Inspect sealed transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials for signs of leakage. If any leakage from a sealed component is suspected, it is recommended that you have the sealed component inspected by a Toyota dealer. Inspect power steering fluid (if equipped) and brake fluid level/condition. Inspect engine and inverter (if equipped) coolant level/condition/freezing point. Your dealer may recommend services (Dealer-Recommended Maintenance) based on inspection results.)
  • Inspect Ball Joints And Dust Covers
  • Inspect Brake Lines And Hoses
  • Inspect Engine Coolant
  • Inspect Steering Linkage And Boots
  • Inspect Brake Linings/Drums And Brake Pads/Discs
    (Thickness Measurement And Runout.)
  • Inspect Exhaust Pipes And Mountings
  • Inspect Steering Gear Box/Rack And Pinion
  • Inspect Fuel Lines And Connections, Fuel Tank Band And Fuel Tank Vapor Vent System Hoses
  • Inspect Fuel Tank Cap Gasket
  • Replace Brake Fluid
  • Replace Smart Key Battery
  • Replace Engine Oil And Oil Filter
    (Reset "Maint Reqd" Light If Equipped after maintenance at every 5,000 miles.)
  • Replace Engine Air Filter
  • Replace Cabin Air Filter (If Equipped)
  • Visually Inspect Transmission for Signs of Leakage

Last edited by liera21; 01-24-20 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Added what I did
The following users liked this post:
Discount Tire (01-25-20)
Old 01-25-20, 07:00 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 227 Likes on 125 Posts

There's no need for the dealer "interval" service, because they will do all the stuff the manual lays out and charge you lots of labor for it. If you really want to have everything inspected every 5k to 10k miles, then by all means stop by your local Lexus dealer. At 60k miles, you're due for tire rotation, engine oil/filter, and brake fluid change (if you feel you need this). The cabin and engine filters I recommend you change when they are dirty, or based on when you did them last, or follow the manual (which at 60k lists you change both). I change both of mine at 50k miles because they don't get that dirty at all on the factory schedule intervals. Twice a year is all I need (because I do 50k every 6 months).

Keep in mind that the maintenance schedule Lexus and other manufacturers put out serves three purposes really: 1. Ensure Lexus didn't miss a thing that could get them sued by an owner because they didn't include it. 2. Make sure their dealer network has plenty of service to make a profit from, especially when Lexus models (even more so with hybrids) are so easily maintained and reliable. And 3. Provide a schedule that someone can follow who wants absolutely nothing to do with taking care of their own car but wants to make sure it's bulletproof all the time by having someone go over everything on every service.
Old 01-27-20, 05:21 PM
Miamiboy87
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks guys. I did the oil change the last 5k. I guess i'm overthinking since its a "major" mark in service, but really they are all just inspections... Not worth $200++
All I really need is;
Rotate tires
Oil and filter
Cabin filter
brake fluid--might need assistance with this
Old 01-27-20, 06:53 PM
sjw91
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here are the instructions for the brake fluid. The process without using a Techstream starts on page 4. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems fairly straightforward.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CT Brake fluid.pdf (193.9 KB, 513 views)