Brake hissing news

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-20, 08:54 PM
moswissa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake hissing news

Hello guys,

I just purchased a 2016 CT1200 with 29k miles from the dealer today. Super excited, I once leased this car 6 years ago and loved it.

I noticed that when I depress the brake pedal I hear a air hissing sound everytime. It happens a bit after I press the brake, almost like a vacuum. It’s pretty annoying. I don’t remember my last CT doing that. Braking feels normal. I tried pumping them, they got stiff but the hissing sound didn’t go away.

I have 6 months remaining on the factory warranty so just wanted to run it by you guys first and see if it’s normal. Hate to leave it at the dealer when I just bought it
Old 01-24-20, 04:57 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by moswissa
Hello guys,

I just purchased a 2016 CT1200 with 29k miles from the dealer today. Super excited, I once leased this car 6 years ago and loved it.

I noticed that when I depress the brake pedal I hear a air hissing sound everytime. It happens a bit after I press the brake, almost like a vacuum. It’s pretty annoying. I don’t remember my last CT doing that. Braking feels normal. I tried pumping them, they got stiff but the hissing sound didn’t go away.

I have 6 months remaining on the factory warranty so just wanted to run it by you guys first and see if it’s normal. Hate to leave it at the dealer when I just bought it

we have an 2011 CT. No such sound on ours when pressing brake pedal. As far as your comment about not taking to dealer at this point, you absolutely SHOULD bring it in. Even if they don’t find an issue now, you are establishing a “history”. In other words, if it turns out to be a problem later on out of warranty, you reported it while it was in warranty. That could help you out down the road.
Old 01-24-20, 07:42 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Hard to tell over the internet but I am guessing if there was anything wrong, you'd get a code.

My car makes this sound. I think you just weren't paying attention to it before. The brakes are boosted by an air pump since the engine doesn't run all the time in order to give you power brakes. Excess air is bleeded out usually through a one-way check valve. So this is likely what you are hearing.
Old 01-24-20, 12:10 PM
moswissa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
we have an 2011 CT. No such sound on ours when pressing brake pedal. As far as your comment about not taking to dealer at this point, you absolutely SHOULD bring it in. Even if they don’t find an issue now, you are establishing a “history”. In other words, if it turns out to be a problem later on out of warranty, you reported it while it was in warranty. That could help you out down the road.

I just want to the dealer and they said it was normal and that they get plenty similar complaints.
Old 01-24-20, 12:11 PM
moswissa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
Hard to tell over the internet but I am guessing if there was anything wrong, you'd get a code.

My car makes this sound. I think you just weren't paying attention to it before. The brakes are boosted by an air pump since the engine doesn't run all the time in order to give you power brakes. Excess air is bleeded out usually through a one-way check valve. So this is likely what you are hearing.

dealer just test drove it and said same exact thing you said. So I guess it’s normal. I just wanted reassurance since it’s a new car thanks
Old 01-25-20, 07:50 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 219 Likes on 124 Posts

Every time I hit the brake pedal, it makes a sound like I'm squeezing the air out of a small rubber object. Like a squishy, air out sound. Very brief. If that's what you think you're hearing, that's normal.

I tried recording it but it didn't really come through well. See if you can record it. If you can get it to come through in audio, let us hear it.
Old 01-25-20, 08:05 PM
moswissa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Raidin
Every time I hit the brake pedal, it makes a sound like I'm squeezing the air out of a small rubber object. Like a squishy, air out sound. Very brief. If that's what you think you're hearing, that's normal.

I tried recording it but it didn't really come through well. See if you can record it. If you can get it to come through in audio, let us hear it.

yupp that is exactly what’s I’m hearing !