CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

how is the cabin noise on the CT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-20, 07:17 AM
oilburner1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default how is the cabin noise on the CT?

Hi guys, I just sold my 2nd gen prius with 280k. That car was like a hammer, I used it to tow a motorcycle trailer regularly and drove it and abused it hard. The original engine finally blew a HG at 270k. But I was so impressed with that car I swapped a junkyard engine in and would have continued to drive it if the interior wasn't falling apart. The dash creaked, windows rattled, everything was as noisy as hell.

I'm interested in the CT and wondering can anyone comment on how the interior noise is? I really want a quiet cabin, smooth ride over rough broken pavement. For the premium on the lexus I could go up to a slightly newer prius. Is it worth it? I am really hoping that for the extra weight and loss of fuel economy on the CT that Lexus installed a whole extra bunch of sound deadening. Is that true or am I better off getting another prius and paying an audio shop to install dynamat and such?

thanks for the help.
Old 05-03-20, 12:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I've driven several as loaners, its not very good. Will be roughly similar to your Prius.
Old 05-03-20, 12:44 PM
sjw91
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's not silent, but it's much better than the Prius. Less road noise than my previous Honda Accord. There is some engine drone at WOT.
Old 05-03-20, 12:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Honda Accords are pretty loud...
Old 05-03-20, 12:59 PM
sjw91
Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Honda Accords are pretty loud...
No argument there. All Hondas are loud.
Old 05-03-20, 01:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The newer ones are much better, but we're talking like within the last couple years they've gotten better. Buddy of mine had a 2010 Accord and I was always astonished how loud it was inside. New Accords though are much quieter.
Old 05-03-20, 01:24 PM
sjw91
Driver

Mine was a 2010, coincidentally. My Corvette is quieter on the road.

But I think we've strayed off topic. CT is quieter than your old Prius or the 3rd gen Prius (haven't been in a 4th gen), but it's not super quiet. If you're looking for a used hybrid that's quiet on the road, the Camry Hybrid is probably the best bet. Depends on your budget. I've heard the Hyundai Ioniq is really nice, but I haven't been in one. The rental Chevy Malibus I've had were really quiet on the highway. I assume their hybrid would be too.
Old 05-04-20, 07:03 AM
spiral
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

My CT was smooth as silk and super quiet...for the first year. Now it’s just a car. I notice every noise and bump. Not sure if that’s the car getting worse or me just getting use to it. My stereo volume hasn’t changed, so I’d say more me getting use to it. My truck is definitely louder on the road though.

I’m gonna speak out of my bu++ here cuz I have nothing to use as a reference:

a lot of road noise and smooth ride has to do with tires. Tread patterns make different noises, so each tire will sound different. Some quieter, some noisier. Also sidewall I believe affects ride. The more cushion the smoother. Low profile tires tend to ride a bit rougher. Lastly, roads are roads. Bumpy falling apart roads suck. Freshly laid asphalt roads are a dream come true. When we first test drove the CT we were on a ****ty road and the salesman was telling me how smooth the ride was even for the bumpy road. My thought was that he was an idiot because the car felt the same on that road that all my other cars felt like.
Old 05-05-20, 08:27 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,660 Posts

2014+ CT200hs saw 94 mechanical revisions for noise vibration and harshness alone. Including structural enhancements. Similar to the facelifted NX as well. It won't ride like a bentley but it'll be a bit quieter than the Prius. In fact the NVH on my CT200h was mindblowingly apparent after driving new 2020 rental cars while my CT was in the shop. I was blown away by how refined the CT felt after hopping into it after driving the other cars for a month. I didn't know what i was missing. I also know the engine mounts and engine control software are tuned specifically for the CT (vs the prius) for more refined operation, PARTICULARLY in the 2014+ models. Again, not a Bentley, but also not civic/prius class. The bigger factor in noise will be your tires.

here's some info https://blog.lexus.co.uk/lexus-ct-20...g-silent-type/
Old 05-06-20, 06:53 AM
oilburner1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spiral
My CT was smooth as silk and super quiet...for the first year. Now it’s just a car. I notice every noise and bump. Not sure if that’s the car getting worse or me just getting use to it. My stereo volume hasn’t changed, so I’d say more me getting use to it. My truck is definitely louder on the road though.

I’m gonna speak out of my bu++ here cuz I have nothing to use as a reference:

a lot of road noise and smooth ride has to do with tires. Tread patterns make different noises, so each tire will sound different. Some quieter, some noisier. Also sidewall I believe affects ride. The more cushion the smoother. Low profile tires tend to ride a bit rougher. Lastly, roads are roads. Bumpy falling apart roads suck. Freshly laid asphalt roads are a dream come true. When we first test drove the CT we were on a ****ty road and the salesman was telling me how smooth the ride was even for the bumpy road. My thought was that he was an idiot because the car felt the same on that road that all my other cars felt like.
what year is your CT?
Old 05-07-20, 07:49 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 227 Likes on 125 Posts

I agree with everyone here. The CT is quieter than a Prius, but not by much. It also has a very firm ride, so you will notice every bump in the road. I'm running tires two sizes taller than stock and it's far better, but it's far from smooth.
Old 05-19-20, 05:15 AM
phillymac
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cabin noise is low compared to other vehicles, it's a Lexus(lol). I do a fair amount of highway driving and its relatively quiet. A family member has an LS 460 and I cant tell any significant difference. It's an all around well performing car.
Old 05-19-20, 06:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by phillymac
A family member has an LS 460 and I cant tell any significant difference.
Somethings wrong with that LS460 then. I've had CT loaners and gotten straight back into an LS460 and there is a sizable difference.

I wouldn't call it a loud car, but I wouldn't call it quiet either. Its the least quiet Lexus, except for maybe the new UX which I have not driven. The NX is a little quieter, but not a ton.
The following users liked this post:
sjw91 (05-19-20)
Old 05-19-20, 10:10 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,660 Posts

For fun, the quietest cars ever produced are the BMW X7 and Bentley Bentayga. The runner up which is quite a ways behind is the S-Class. And that car is absurdly quiet. it shows you how quiet new NEW cars have gotten.
Old 05-19-20, 11:03 AM
ThomasD94
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by oilburner1
Hi guys, I just sold my 2nd gen prius with 280k. That car was like a hammer, I used it to tow a motorcycle trailer regularly and drove it and abused it hard. The original engine finally blew a HG at 270k. But I was so impressed with that car I swapped a junkyard engine in and would have continued to drive it if the interior wasn't falling apart. The dash creaked, windows rattled, everything was as noisy as hell.

I'm interested in the CT and wondering can anyone comment on how the interior noise is? I really want a quiet cabin, smooth ride over rough broken pavement. For the premium on the lexus I could go up to a slightly newer prius. Is it worth it? I am really hoping that for the extra weight and loss of fuel economy on the CT that Lexus installed a whole extra bunch of sound deadening. Is that true or am I better off getting another prius and paying an audio shop to install dynamat and such?

thanks for the help.
Hey there,
We have a 2019 CT 200h and the ride is a little stiff and cabin noise is quite around town (because of hybrid power) but once you are over 30mph it is a little nosier! I would recommend the ES 300h or the IS 300h if wanting a quite economical Lexus
For reference we get 55.4mpg atm in the CT and my mums IS is getting 48 mpg

Hope this helps?

Quick Reply: how is the cabin noise on the CT?