CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Courier CT now on 215/55/17s, two sizes taller than stock

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-20, 07:52 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 219 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Courier CT now on 215/55/17s, two sizes taller than stock

Last year, I was running one size taller tires, 215/50/17, and noticed very little difference. They lasted 84k miles (dipped below 4/32"). A week ago I had these put on. The ride is far more comfortable now, but I think I rub when turning hard.

Still, softer ride, more ground clearance, better able to deal with road debris and sharped angled ramps, not to mention flooded streets... works for me!
The following users liked this post:
Vegasaurus (08-24-20)
Old 05-07-20, 09:20 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

First! interesting. Wonder if gas mileage will take a hit? theoretically it should. but probably won't notice!

Also are these LRR/Eco tires? Through my research, LRR/Eco makes very little difference, if any. And if you're counting, the extra cost associated with ECO tires doesn't justify its savings potential or ends up being a wash. So yeah.. i'm using "regular" tires on my CT. I'd rather have the extra grip.
Old 05-07-20, 04:34 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by E46CT
First! interesting. Wonder if gas mileage will take a hit? theoretically it should. but probably won't notice!

Also are these LRR/Eco tires? Through my research, LRR/Eco makes very little difference, if any. And if you're counting, the extra cost associated with ECO tires doesn't justify its savings potential or ends up being a wash. So yeah.. i'm using "regular" tires on my CT. I'd rather have the extra grip.
All last year, no real difference in MPG. None so far here, but it's too early to tell. I got 51 one day, and 43 the next. Too many factors to calculate so I have to average it out over months of driving.

I stopped looking for LRR tires because they are expensive. I decided to go with Consumer Reports' findings and went with one of the best tires they recommend, and this year, I'm running their top tire, General's Altimax RT43. Last one was Falken's Sincera. Both much cheaper than what I'm used to, but not much different in MPG so far. I plan to do a more precise cost analysis at some point with the lower fuel costs we've got these days.
E46CT (05-14-20)
Old 05-13-20, 07:22 PM
Khaotic
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raidin
All last year, no real difference in MPG. None so far here, but it's too early to tell. I got 51 one day, and 43 the next. Too many factors to calculate so I have to average it out over months of driving.

I stopped looking for LRR tires because they are expensive. I decided to go with Consumer Reports' findings and went with one of the best tires they recommend, and this year, I'm running their top tire, General's Altimax RT43. Last one was Falken's Sincera. Both much cheaper than what I'm used to, but not much different in MPG so far. I plan to do a more precise cost analysis at some point with the lower fuel costs we've got these days.
As someone who averaged 45k miles a year on my daily commute before COVID, I too gave up LRR tires in favor of tires that exhibited better performance in the rain. For me it wasn’t even about the price realistically, but more so the stability in poor weather conditions at high speeds. I noticed a very small reduction in MPG overall, but the performance I still had in wet weather conditions at 35-40k miles of tire wear was significantly increased over LRR.

When you really start breaking down the math, at least for the mileage range I’m in, calculated by a 3mpg difference on the high side, it’s all a wash to me as I can average 55k+ miles on non-LRR’s and only around 40k miles on a LRR tire. You make money on the short end of the spectrum, but the tire changes take it all back long term, and you don’t have the benefit of the wet weather traction for a longer period of time.
E46CT (05-14-20)
Old 05-14-20, 08:25 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^Both good responses. So I'm not alone in determining the extra costs (and performance downsides) aren't worth it with LRR tires. And that there are ways a tire can cost you other than money.

I'm even thinking of getting Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s (grippy summer tires) for the next go around. I like to take corners fast and they're cheap and really good. And I don't do a ton of highway. Curious what kind of MPG hit i'll take.

With the low gas prices i'm starting to not be as concerned with fuel mileage as I used to be. (i'm hoping this post ages well)
Old 05-16-20, 10:21 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Here's some quick math. Current tire cost me $100 per. Ecopia EP 422 Pluses, my fav LRR tire, is $145 at the same size. At about 267 miles per day, my usual average, and with fuel prices at $1.50 (rounding up from $1.46 we have here), I should save $324 on gas by switching to the Ecopias if I see a 5 MPG improvement, per year. They cost $180 more per year, so it would be worth it if I can get that improvement. I'll probably try that next time, or a different LRR tire, and report back.
Old 05-16-20, 12:07 PM
Khaotic
Driver School Candidate

Here's some quick math. Current tire cost me $100 per. Ecopia EP 422 Pluses, my fav LRR tire, is $145 at the same size. At about 267 miles per day, my usual average, and with fuel prices at $1.50 (rounding up from $1.46 we have here), I should save $324 on gas by switching to the Ecopias if I see a 5 MPG improvement, per year. They cost $180 more per year, so it would be worth it if I can get that improvement. I'll probably try that next time, or a different LRR tire, and report back.
I was using my Insight's Bridgestone Potenza RE92's for comparison purposes. I have never heard of that model of Ecopia's before, but will give them a look. If I could get over 55K miles out of them and still have traction in downpours, then that would be a LRR I might consider. With the east Tennessee hilly terrain I feel it would be hard for me to see a 5mpg increase though I'm afraid. I would bet the Texas freeways and back roads would be a different story in terms of a MPG increase though..

Last edited by Khaotic; 05-16-20 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-19-20, 08:32 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Another angle people don't think of is that as tires age, they become hard and brittle, provide less isolation and more prone to damage (blowouts). Personally I don't want my tires to last that long.

When I got my CT, it had the factory Michelins on it on the rear (the selling dealer replaced the fronts with generic chinese tires). The OE Michelins were sorta close to the wear bars and had 38k miles on them. They were hard, showed a bit of cracking and made a whirring noise. The car instantly rode better when I replaced those two tires with new non-LRR Hankooks.

With my weird combo of non-LRR Hankooks and chinese "sport" tires, I can get 50-53 mpg indicated highway pretty easily.
Raidin (05-20-20)
Old 05-19-20, 08:40 AM
Khaotic
Driver School Candidate

I completely agree with the age of the tire being a concern. For me at least, I don't worry about the age as long as the date code on the tire is recent. I go through a set of tire yearly, so I haven't experienced that issue personally. With that said I would think that after a few years on the same tires, even though low in mileage, the rubber would indeed start to harden significantly. Not sure I would want to be driving long distances on a tire that exceed 3-5 years in regards to it's install age.
Old 05-20-20, 11:42 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Khaotic
If I could get over 55K miles out of them and still have traction in downpours, then that would be a LRR I might consider.
The secret to long-lasting tires is how fast you drive. I drive 60 MPH all the time, so my tires go 80k-100k miles typically. I try different tires out in the name of research since I go through them as fast as you, once per year.

Here's a screenshot showing the last 3 tires I have ran according to Consumer Reports:

Old 05-21-20, 09:50 AM
sjw91
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So how much was your speedometer accuracy affected?
Old 05-22-20, 07:48 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by sjw91
So how much was your speedometer accuracy affected?
When I went from 45 to 50 for sidewall, my speedometer was actually dead on. When I went from 50 to 55, I am now running slightly faster. After 50 MPH, I have to set my speedometer 1 MPH less. To travel at 60 MPH, I have to set my speed to 59 (GPS reports 60-61), sometimes 58 (GPS reports 59-60).
Old 08-24-20, 02:39 PM
Vegasaurus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Last year, I was running one size taller tires, 215/50/17, and noticed very little difference. They lasted 84k miles (dipped below 4/32"). A week ago I had these put on. The ride is far more comfortable now, but I think I rub when turning hard.

Still, softer ride, more ground clearance, better able to deal with road debris and sharped angled ramps, not to mention flooded streets... works for me!
I'm surprised you didn't notice a difference with the 50s. Tire rub is a hard no for me. Wish we had the 16" wheels those lucky Canadians can get.
Old 08-25-20, 08:53 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vegasaurus
I'm surprised you didn't notice a difference with the 50s. Tire rub is a hard no for me. Wish we had the 16" wheels those lucky Canadians can get.
It was strange. I couldn't tell a difference, then going to 55 was quite noticeable.

Still looking for rubbing evidence, though I've started to notice a rubbing sound on hard left turns...
Old 08-25-20, 09:46 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

It was strange. I couldn't tell a difference, then going to 55 was quite noticeable.

Still looking for rubbing evidence, though I've started to notice a rubbing sound on hard left turns...
Thats bummer news I missed that part on the rubbing. But you had zero rubbing with the 50s?

I'm no where near new tires but would go with a taller one next time. Just can't tolerate any rub...too much cornering for me.

Quick Reply: Courier CT now on 215/55/17s, two sizes taller than stock