CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Considering making the switch to CT

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-20, 08:28 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Khaotic
Thanks for the compliment! Its the color that really had me drawn to the car. I personally went with the F-Sport model just because I thought the paint(has to be F-Sport to get the Ultra Sonic Mica Blue color) aero options, and rims really set it off. The LED package on the CT200H has the auto-leveling feature and a couple other smaller things that comes with it. If you can find one with it I do recommend, but it may indeed cost you a little bit more.

It's funny you should mention the IS350. I get those all the times for loaner vehicles when I go in for an oil change (every 5k miles). The first time that I planted my **** in those seats I was in disbelief at how narrow the seats were. I'm 6'2 and 200lbs, in basketball shape mind you, and I felt like a whale who couldn't squeeze into the pool. The CT200H seat is much nicer to me in that area, and I have plenty of head room at my height with the seat in the position that I like. These things really have quite a bit of space also with the seats down. I like to think of it a s a tiny SUV in some ways.

Overall the IS350 is a different driving experience. After having the CT200H for nearly a year and a half now, I would not want to switch to the IS350. From my understanding the tires cannot be rotated due to the different sizing, which is just not ideal for my commute mileage and the price of tires these days. The IS350 does have a few options that I wish the CT200H came with, like air condition seats and the bigger displays, but I can't stand the transmission in the IS350. I believe the smoothness of the CT200H on the interstate is what makes the vehicle so great for me. With the IS350 it feels like it's constantly hunting for a gear. Just not my cup of tea, and I typically like sportier cars. I'd say build quality is roughly the same, but the IS350 feels more edgy, and perhaps slightly eclipses the CT200H in material quality.

As for mileage, I live in hilly terrain in east Tennessee. but I wouldn't quite call it mountains. It's basically an up and down roller-coaster of roads. I typically average around 39.5 mpg - 41..5 mpg throughout different season of the year, while driving at roughly 80mph on this terrain. The only time I get less than 39.5 mpg is if I am exceeding 90mph over a long trip or if it is brutally cold outside, say 10 degrees on a February morning with heavy air. My highest total over a tank was 46 mpg, but I can't stand to travel at speeds that slow all the time. If your commute is a two lane highway with a 55mph speed limit you will exceed 40 mpg easily if you have any type of throttle control abilities whatsoever. Having come from one of the the most fuel efficient platform ever offered in the Gen 1 Insight, I had already learned throttle control in an effort to keep the Insight in lean burn at highways speeds. After having that car for so long I pretty much drive every car the same way now.

As for a Prius, I say go with the CT200H all the way. Very similar mechanically, and really not a massive difference in price. Definitely a more refined vehicle in my eyes. I haven't priced a CT200H since I was shopping for mine, but if you have cash be aggressive. Take control of the conversation early and don't be afraid to walk. I would offer a minimum 15% less than asking price, possibly more if you were interested. Always be prepared to walk. The end of the month is a great time as dealers are eager to move inventory. If they can make money on a vehicle and move it they will, especially right now when interest really is down. I wouldn't consider a CT200H a highly searched for vehicle, as most people have no clue these things even exist honestly. Most CT's will linger on a lot for a local lot for quite a while, so don't be afraid to put the dealer in a realistic pricing corner and try to beat'em up a little. If they know your a definitive buyer and are ready to purchase most dealers will drop the games and come to terms with what they can and can't do really quick.
Thanks for all your input!
Thing about the LEDs on my IS you have to change out the entire headlight assembly, no bulb replacement without possibly taking apart the headlight, then maybe. Imagine the same on the CT.

I'm glad to hear your even happier with the CT seats and cabin space than the IS, and taller than I.

I've crossed off all other hybrids (maybe a camry but I don't think so)

I have no problem walking from a deal. Already blew off 2 dealers because of their horrendous appraisal offer on my IS. I literally have walked away over a $500 difference I demanded because of some things I didn't like about a car I was shopping for. Things they should of taken care of anyways.

This all depends on the sale of the IS, which I've hardly put any effort into so far. It'll be hard to part ways. But +$250 month savings for a car with half the mileage is a good motivator right now. (That's payment, gas, insurance)
Old 05-20-20, 08:32 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by E46CT
The seats are decent.. not on the level of our 3IS F Sports (as you recall I had a 2016 IS F Sport). I wish the lower thigh cushion was longer or extenddable since I'm 6', but overall it's comfortable and i've done long trips in it. The drivers door where you'd rest your knee is hard plastic so on long trips it can become uncomfortable in that particular spot. I remedied this short term by buying some padded seatbelt covers and cut it to shape and used velcro to stick it on. It fit well and did the job giving my knee a soft place to wrest but it looked out of place. I'm still trying to come up with a nice solution.

It's no luxury car but it's decently nice and certain a step up from a Prius. (which i've also owned)

Sure I could go out and lease a 2020 ES300h (what I really want) but for now I just want to have a "cheap" car pay it off and be done with it

Also after driving your 3IS, the first immediate thought you'll have is hmm this car feels top heavy.. feels like you're sitting on top of a couch on wheels.. but that feeling goes away pretty quickly. Then the car feels like it handles well (a compliment coming from me after having hand built track ready BMWs)
I know the ES300h would be nice! I looked but nah not now.

For trips we likely would take our CUV but ill be spending at least a couple hours in the car per day and I have to be comfortable. Sounds like I will be.

I like the simplicity that keeps it from being a luxury car. I want even less tech than my IS actually, I'm a creature of the 90s and still cars from back then are my favorites.

Thank you sir.
Old 05-20-20, 05:08 PM
Khaotic
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would have to change the complete headlight assembly out I'm pretty sure, but assuming that it has the same Lexus build quality as I am accustomed to, I am not too worried. I fully expect the headlights to last 10+ years, and given that I drive roughlty 45K per year (before COVID-19 at least), I expect to pass 325K miles in the next 5 years given I'm at 75k miles now. At that point I feel they have paid for themselves with my mileage total and would just have to cross that bridge if I get there.

Don't get me entirely wrong on the IS seats though. They are quite nice in pretty much every area but their actual width.

I have also driven an ES300 loaner. It is a great car. Very, very smooth and quite impressive. It is much nicer to me than either the IS or CT models. I however would not buy one for a multitude of reasons that do not pertain to the vehicle, but more so my wants.
Old 05-21-20, 11:28 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I know the ES300h would be nice! I looked but nah not now.

For trips we likely would take our CUV but ill be spending at least a couple hours in the car per day and I have to be comfortable. Sounds like I will be.

I like the simplicity that keeps it from being a luxury car. I want even less tech than my IS actually, I'm a creature of the 90s and still cars from back then are my favorites.

Thank you sir.
I miss my 97 M3 coupe. 205,000 completely bulletproof reliable miles (except for one ignition coil that went bad at 202k and replaced for $44) and a feeling of solidity doing 80 mph. Then I rear ended a Kia and totaled it. That car was mostly analogue. I miss that feel.
Old 05-21-20, 01:55 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by E46CT
I miss my 97 M3 coupe. 205,000 completely bulletproof reliable miles (except for one ignition coil that went bad at 202k and replaced for $44) and a feeling of solidity doing 80 mph. Then I rear ended a Kia and totaled it. That car was mostly analogue. I miss that feel.
I miss it too. I spent plenty of time in a late 90s M3 good friend had one but never owned. I liked those cars. Gave a thumbs up to a guy in a very clean late 90s 7 series yesterday. Small drop, nice wheels, nothing extravagant. Dont see thst everyday. I gave the thumbs up cause he wanted to race i think so I just said "nice car" instead lol.

I had a sluggish SC300 but to this day inside ind out one of my favorites. I may have another one day and a project car. Min 500 hp next time though
Old 05-21-20, 02:00 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by Khaotic
I would have to change the complete headlight assembly out I'm pretty sure, but assuming that it has the same Lexus build quality as I am accustomed to, I am not too worried. I fully expect the headlights to last 10+ years, and given that I drive roughlty 45K per year (before COVID-19 at least), I expect to pass 325K miles in the next 5 years given I'm at 75k miles now. At that point I feel they have paid for themselves with my mileage total and would just have to cross that bridge if I get there.

Don't get me entirely wrong on the IS seats though. They are quite nice in pretty much every area but their actual width.

I have also driven an ES300 loaner. It is a great car. Very, very smooth and quite impressive. It is much nicer to me than either the IS or CT models. I however would not buy one for a multitude of reasons that do not pertain to the vehicle, but more so my wants.
I posted sometime but forget. The hours life span on a Lexus LED is many, so you're right hardly a concern at all.

Think I'm looking at 25k miles a year or so...thats why I may be making to switch. The IS will last but $1000s of dollars in gas and a more hard hit depreciation.