Potential New CT Owner - Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-20, 10:57 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Potential New CT Owner - Question

hello all,

i'm a potential new ct owner and was wondering if 60k on a 2014 model is too many miles or if these little machines can run for many more without problem. my main concern is the hybrid batteries which i have no idea what their lifespan is or if they go bad over time vs over mileage or a combination of both. at this point the car is going on seven years old, so i need opinions!

i'm mainly buying it to commute to work and back because the gas mileage that my IS gets is pretty dismal.

thanks, everyone!
Old 06-09-20, 11:45 AM
sjw91
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My 2014 has 55k on the clock. Everything is perfect. Average gas mileage has always stayed around 44 mpg, so my batteries haven't lost anything.

You'll probably get more info from a 3rd gen Prius forum, since there are so many more of them with this same engine and battery. But you shouldn't have to worry.
Old 06-09-20, 11:47 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sjw91
My 2014 has 55k on the clock. Everything is perfect. Average gas mileage has always stayed around 44 mpg, so my batteries haven't lost anything.

You'll probably get more info from a 3rd gen Prius forum, since there are so many more of them with this same engine and battery. But you shouldn't have to worry.
thanks so much - that's very reassuring.

i know that priuses are used as taxis and that the ct shares the same drivetrain as the prius, so i was thinking it would be a pretty solid purchase, but i just wasn't completely sure. well, here goes nothing! that said, i think i'm in good hands.
Old 06-09-20, 02:12 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Just clean the EGR cooler/circuit by 120k and do frequent oil changes and you should be good. The battery pretty much lasts forever. you won't really see any issues for 15-20 years and even when you do, a refurbished battery is way way cheaper than a transmission (which this drivetrain omits)

so even with battery replacement, this car is cheaper in the long term than a traditional ICE/transmission setup.

keep in mind too no belts or pulleys to deal with. all electric all the time!
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (06-10-20)
Old 06-09-20, 02:15 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,641 Posts

*also *also since the engine is off half the time, 30k on a traditional engine vs 30k on a hybrid engine is much different in terms of wear and tear.

this engine is assisted by an electric motor so it also works half as hard (roughly speaking) to perform the same work a traditional car would.

so all around it makes for a really robust drivetrain given its duty.
davyjordi (06-10-20)
Old 06-10-20, 04:02 AM
spiral
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I’m at 250k for my 2012. I will add to check the oil level at each fill up. Our engines are known for going through oil. Some changes were made to 2014 to mitigate that, but ya never know. Making a habit of checking your oil regularly should just be a good habit and might save you from a blown engine.
davyjordi (06-10-20)
Old 06-10-20, 08:25 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

thanks, guys, i really appreciate the input.

i decided to go with a 2017 model year with fewer miles - around 27k - because i had read posts actually by you @E46CT which had described various updates that took place to the drivetrain and/or related components during the 2014 and 2015 model years specifically and respectively, in which you said the 2015 model year and up were preferable over a 2014 and one shouldn't purchase a CT older than that if possible. and well, since i had the ability to choose pretty much whichever year and configuration was on the used market, i went with a 2017 model instead. it's not an f-sport, unfortunately, although i read here also that the bumper does not need to be replaced as the f-sport grille is interchangeable with the non-f-sport grille. that'll be one of the first things i do!

Last edited by davyjordi; 06-10-20 at 08:48 AM.
Raidin (06-10-20)
Old 06-10-20, 05:28 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Can't go wrong with a 2017. The last model year for us the in the US.
davyjordi (06-11-20)
Old 06-11-20, 05:45 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Raidin
Can't go wrong with a 2017. The last model year for us the in the US.
yeah, for sure. i actually purchased it off carvana because i didn't feel like dealing with dealerships right now and i live in a part of the nation where covid cases are still rising even though we are opening up the economy. anyhow, the car is to be delivered tomorrow. it's, as i stated previously, a 2017 with around 27.5k miles on it and it has the navigation package as well as the premium package, although not the f sport package. i'll have to swap the grille inserts. it's eminent white, although i really would have preferred starfire pearl, and has a parchment interior.

overall, i'm excited for the new vehicle.

i think that these cars come with halogen drls, correct? i'll have to change those to leds if that's the case, although i do believe the actual headlamps are bi-xenon. i'm not quite too familiar with this model. i had one for a brief while back in 2012 before i traded it in for a 2nd generation IS.

the musts are: having the wheels painted in lexus' hypersilver color that comes standard on nearly all f-sport wheels. alternatively, i found that the easiest to source f-sport wheels are those funky multi-spoke ones called the 'trident wheel' -- i don't know how i feel about those yet. also, changing the drls to led to get rid of the antiquity, dropping the car on rsr down springs, and tinting it. oh, and also PPF on the front end. that's really all that i have planned for it. maybe installing carplay as beatsonic has a unit for this specific car that allows for carplay to be integrated.
Raidin (06-12-20)
Old 06-11-20, 05:49 AM
sjw91
Driver

Originally Posted by davyjordi
yeah, for sure. i actually purchased it off carvana because i didn't feel like dealing with dealerships right now and i live in a part of the nation where covid cases are still rising even though we are opening up the economy. anyhow, the car is to be delivered tomorrow. it's, as i stated previously, a 2017 with around 27.5k miles on it and it has the navigation package as well as the premium package, although not the f sport package. i'll have to swap the grille inserts. it's eminent white, although i really would have preferred starfire pearl, and has a parchment interior.

overall, i'm excited for the new vehicle.

i think that these cars come with halogen drls, correct? i'll have to change those to leds if that's the case, although i do believe the actual headlamps are bi-xenon. i'm not quite too familiar with this model. i had one for a brief while back in 2012 before i traded it in for a 2nd generation IS.

the musts are: having the wheels painted in lexus' hypersilver color that comes standard on nearly all f-sport wheels. alternatively, i found that the easiest to source f-sport wheels are those funky multi-spoke ones called the 'trident wheel' -- i don't know how i feel about those yet. also, changing the drls to led to get rid of the antiquity, dropping the car on rsr down springs, and tinting it. oh, and also PPF on the front end. that's really all that i have planned for it. maybe installing carplay as beatsonic has a unit for this specific car that allows for carplay to be integrated.
The DRLs are LED. The standard headlights are halogen. LEDs were an option, but I've never seen them on a car.
Raidin (06-12-20)
Old 06-11-20, 08:06 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

gotcha - thanks. those will have to be replaced with leds.
Old 06-12-20, 08:20 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Oh and in case you never saw my posts, I'm on a 2014 with 570k miles on factory engine, transmission, and hybrid battery. Reliability won't be an issue as long as you maintain it perfectly.
davyjordi (06-14-20)
Old 06-14-20, 02:58 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

okay, so carvana did deliver the car to my home yesterday and they gave me an hour with the car and i did not at all feel as though it was worth it to trade in the acura ilx a-spec for the ct, so i ultimately refused delivery.

i also, even though my two cars get mediocre gas mileage, didn't think that the offset would be worth the extra hassle as i own the acura outright (as well as the IS) and i would have had to put money down to complete the purchase as they sort of low-balled me on the acura's trade-in value.

so, no ct for me!
Raidin (06-16-20)
Old 06-14-20, 01:52 PM
sjw91
Driver

Understood. If I didn't have a sports car for the highway, probably wouldn't have the CT as my DD.

I kinda liked the ILX, but I was annoyed that it requires premium gas. Wasn't a big deal, back when it was 20 cents more than regular. But it's 65 cents more around here.