CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Questions on replacing driver side windshield molding

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-20, 02:40 PM
roadgeek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on replacing driver side windshield molding

I am going to help a friend who owns a 2013 Lexus CT200h who was had her driver side molding break away. I have bought the necessary genuine replacement molding (75536-76010) as well as a rivet (90269-04048) and windshield molding retainer clip (75545-58020).

My friend sent me a photo of her windshield situation. It appears to have broken off and left some remnants behind. All five retainer clips and rivets are intact.

My questions are these.

1. What should I use to remove the remnants of the old molding? A nylon trim puller? Or will I need to possibly use a razor?

2. Does it look like I should be able to reuse the existing retainer clips for the replacement trim? Should I use 3m super weatherstrip adhesive to strengthen the connection? If so, should I run it the length of the molding or just around the retainer clips?

This is the current situation with the Lexus CT200h and the missing windshield molding (trim)

Last edited by roadgeek; 06-26-20 at 02:42 PM. Reason: added photo, corrected typos
Old 06-26-20, 03:41 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,660 Posts

You bought just one rivet and one clip?

Never done this repair before but as long as those clips aren't broken you should be able to re-use. I wouldn't use any sealant at all unless you have a specific reason or know of a requirement to use it. The sealing is done by the windshield not by that trim.
Old 06-26-20, 03:54 PM
roadgeek
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
You bought just one rivet and one clip?

Never done this repair before but as long as those clips aren't broken you should be able to re-use. I wouldn't use any sealant at all unless you have a specific reason or know of a requirement to use it. The sealing is done by the windshield not by that trim.
At the time I was ordering the parts - the graphic on the parts dealer site showed only one rivet and one clip for the installation. I do not have direct access to the car except when I come over to visit, so I took it to be correct. I subsequently discovered that it is five rivets and clips. All of the clips are present, so I am breathing a sigh of relief.

I want to get the remnants of the old torn up trim out without ending up scratching the car in the process. That's why I asked about using a nylon trim puller as opposed to a razor (or needle tipped pliers).

The use of sealant was suggested in posts on other forums regarding replacing trim on other Lexus vehicles. Owners reported getting a rattle or vibration from the replaced moulding while in motion until they applied sealant.

Last edited by roadgeek; 06-26-20 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-27-20, 04:01 AM
spiral
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I just had my windshield replaced and a few days later the same trim piece started flapping in the wind. I took it back to safelite to have it secured

To remove the moulding he just pulled it out with his hands and not much force. I see no reason a nylon trim tool wouldn’t work. Then he sprayed a 3m weather stripping material along each clip, snapped the moulding in place then covered it with some tape. He said to keep it out of the rain for 6 hours and then I could remove the tape. Trim prince hasant budged since.

I don’t know if that is right or wrong, but that how safelite did it.
Old 06-27-20, 01:18 PM
roadgeek
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spiral
I just had my windshield replaced and a few days later the same trim piece started flapping in the wind. I took it back to safelite to have it secured

To remove the moulding he just pulled it out with his hands and not much force. I see no reason a nylon trim tool wouldn’t work. Then he sprayed a 3m weather stripping material along each clip, snapped the moulding in place then covered it with some tape. He said to keep it out of the rain for 6 hours and then I could remove the tape. Trim prince hasant budged since.

I don’t know if that is right or wrong, but that how safelite did it.
Thanks, I worked on this today. The remnants of the old trim came out very easily with a plastic shim and pliers. I used the tube style of 3m weather stripping on the clips and it went in well.
Put painters tape on the windshield afterwards and will leave it on 24 hours.

Thanks for the suggestions!