CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Just got a new 2016 F-Sport Ultra White

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-20, 11:37 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Just got a new 2016 F-Sport Ultra White

Posted awhile back about considering the switch to a CT from my IS350.

Made the purchase last night!

67k miles, $16k Ultra White and Black NuLux, and super clean.
Its almost as if the previous owner put it in drive, and didn't didnt touch anything. Interior is like new. The exterior has near new paint including front bumper nearly blemish free surprised for 67k miles.

Its almost exactly what i wanted.
The only extra it has which I wanted was a back up camera. No Nav, no heated seats, no memory seats, etc. Simple. Was the only F-Sport I've seen which didn't have Nav or Display Audio so I actually wasn't even intent on getting FS but I do like the looks of it much better and improved suspension. And who knew a black headliner would look so good? Huge improvement.

Only thing missing is BSM but, I'll live.

Catching up on my reading and owners manual but have a few questions for you folks as I'm new to a hybrid of any kind.
  1. What do I do next? Plugs not due to 120k miles, ill check the oil. Read brakes last forever too. Air filters. What else? Just smash the gas and go?
  2. Should I pull the EGR and check it?
  3. Should I change the ECVT fluids?
  4. Not going to be modding much, thinking chrome delete later, side mirrors wrapped black. What small changes have you made?
  5. AC wouldn't turn on until I hit Auto climate control. I've found the setting and switched it off, but don't think it changed this. Whats up with that?
  6. Any way to stop it from going into EV mode? Or is this always auto? I was sitting in the car playing with it (parked, engine on with AC) and kept going on/off.
  7. Manual says EV mode does not increase "fuel efficiency". Seems untrue no?
  8. Is the black roof 212 Obsidian paint code? Only blemish is a nasty scratch about 3/16" wide 2.5" long on the roof.
  9. I got 42 mpg on my 1 hr 40 min drive home last night. AC on. Lower than some of you guys? About 80 mph.
  10. F-Sport suspension, is this automatically adjusting or anything electric happening here like the IS? Or just lower and stiffened up?
I'll have better questions (and contributions) later on lol.

I'll have better pics too but you all know what it looks like

Last edited by HOMER350; 07-19-20 at 11:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TobiasSing (07-20-20)
Old 07-20-20, 04:36 PM
TobiasSing
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats on the new car!

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Is the black roof 212 Obsidian paint code? Only blemish is a nasty scratch about 3/16" wide 2.5" long on the roof.
Correct
Old 07-20-20, 08:43 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by TobiasSing
Congrats on the new car!

Correct
Right on thank you.
Old 07-21-20, 08:27 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Only thing missing is BSM but, I'll live.
If I'm not mistaken, BSM was never offered in the US.

Any way to stop it from going into EV mode? Or is this always auto? I was sitting in the car playing with it (parked, engine on with AC) and kept going on/off.
This is automatic. As a hybrid, the car chooses when to go hybrid, full EV, or mostly gas. You can't really affect this, except when you force it into EV mode if you have enough battery charge. There's no way to force it to never go into EV mode at low speeds or when idling unless you are always standing on the gas pedal hard.

Manual says EV mode does not increase "fuel efficiency". Seems untrue no?
It does not, simply because if you drain the battery running in EV mode, you have to charge the car back up, which uses regen braking and gas. It's less efficient to recharge with gas so using EV mode a lot is worse on fuel economy. Only a plug-in hybrid would more efficient in EV mode, as long as you charged it afterwards with the plug vs gas.

I got 42 mpg on my 1 hr 40 min drive home last night. AC on. Lower than some of you guys? About 80 mph.
If you actually somehow managed to get 42 MPG doing 80 MPH, consider yourself extremely lucky, because that's not normal. At 80 MPH you should be seeing mid 30s average, if not lower.

F-Sport suspension, is this automatically adjusting or anything electric happening here like the IS? Or just lower and stiffened up?
Just stiffer springs and dampers. Not sure if it's lower or not.
TobiasSing (07-21-20)
Old 07-21-20, 08:36 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,641 Posts

See my post here for differences: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...fferences.html

F Sport is not lower, just stiffer. You can get additional (optional) Blue F sport springs (like the IS) to go a tad stiffer and lower. I have them.

EV mode is just for cases if you want to move cars around the driveway without starting the engine. (so you don't have to breathe gas fumes, or put undue stress on your engine to move the car 3 feet) nothing more.

You may have hit 80 momentarily but 80 was probably not your average speed. You can get around 50 mpg doing 70-72mph (I have) calculated using the OBC. 80 mph as Raiden says will drastically reduce mpgs to about 30-32. About what I've gotten. Raise tire cold pressure to 38-40 psi for best MPG results. You may get a tire sensor warning though as tire pressures raise. I've got this alarm a couple times due to my "mpg tires" getting hot at highway speeds. Nothing wrong.. just the sensors go nuts.

And yes change transaxle fluid. See my post history/diary thread. super easy and cheap.
TobiasSing (07-21-20)
Old 07-21-20, 11:37 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by Raidin
If I'm not mistaken, BSM was never offered in the US.

This is automatic. As a hybrid, the car chooses when to go hybrid, full EV, or mostly gas. You can't really affect this, except when you force it into EV mode if you have enough battery charge. There's no way to force it to never go into EV mode at low speeds or when idling unless you are always standing on the gas pedal hard.

It does not, simply because if you drain the battery running in EV mode, you have to charge the car back up, which uses regen braking and gas. It's less efficient to recharge with gas so using EV mode a lot is worse on fuel economy. Only a plug-in hybrid would more efficient in EV mode, as long as you charged it afterwards with the plug vs gas.

If you actually somehow managed to get 42 MPG doing 80 MPH, consider yourself extremely lucky, because that's not normal. At 80 MPH you should be seeing mid 30s average, if not lower.

Just stiffer springs and dampers. Not sure if it's lower or not.
Yeah so the next day going 80 i got 35 mpg. I must of been between 70-80 mph. Maybe 65 periodically too distracted with the new car (like "what's up with this light on the cup holders" haha).

This morning I stuck to 70 mph (very hard for me to do) and seemed to get 45 mph.

Thank you for explaining EV makes better sense.
Raidin (07-23-20)
Old 07-21-20, 02:56 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by E46CT
See my post here for differences: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...fferences.html

F Sport is not lower, just stiffer. You can get additional (optional) Blue F sport springs (like the IS) to go a tad stiffer and lower. I have them.

EV mode is just for cases if you want to move cars around the driveway without starting the engine. (so you don't have to breathe gas fumes, or put undue stress on your engine to move the car 3 feet) nothing more.

You may have hit 80 momentarily but 80 was probably not your average speed. You can get around 50 mpg doing 70-72mph (I have) calculated using the OBC. 80 mph as Raiden says will drastically reduce mpgs to about 30-32. About what I've gotten. Raise tire cold pressure to 38-40 psi for best MPG results. You may get a tire sensor warning though as tire pressures raise. I've got this alarm a couple times due to my "mpg tires" getting hot at highway speeds. Nothing wrong.. just the sensors go nuts.

And yes change transaxle fluid. See my post history/diary thread. super easy and cheap.
Thanks for your response. Some brochure said "lower" but id take your word for it. They may have meant 0.2" who knows.

I'll be keeping the suspension as is. There are some driveways and bumps i come across often which required extra attention with the lowered IS, rather not think about it on this car. Although it does look good ive seen yours. You did the spacers too if I remember (I had the exact setup on the IS).

You guys must be right on my drive home...although I saw 80 multiple times I must not have been watching closely enough.

I'll likely pump up the tire pressure to 38 i hadnt thought of that yet. In fact I've never thought much of mpg in my life until now 🙃

I've read your diary thread and have it open to review here/there again now that I own one.
We have similar tastes although i no longer posses the same passion and time for projects. At least not this last year.
But I follow the same logic, less is more and keep it tasteful almost "OEM type" look.

I won't be disassembling my headlight housing anytime soon. Used to do that stuff. I'll take the lesser with some LED conversion "kit". Dimmer, maybe yeah. I did one on my other car and am happy with it.
TobiasSing (07-21-20)
Old 07-21-20, 03:36 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I won't be doing much else to my car. I pretty much have it how i want it. But any car I drive has to have good lights, at least HID/LED, LED turn signals, audio. and the rest is just cosmetic (black vinyl/tint), paint correction.

The F sport springs I installed are a 1" drop. I rarely if ever have problems on driveways. Car is still pretty high. But yeah it is somewhat of a time consuming mod, but honestly nothing compared to dropping the 3IS--that was 10x harder.

The official Lexus press release says F Sport features sport tuned coil spring settings (exact words), but makes no mention of being lower.
TobiasSing (07-21-20)
Old 07-21-20, 04:05 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Yeah I won't be doing much else to my car. I pretty much have it how i want it. But any car I drive has to have good lights, at least HID/LED, LED turn signals, audio. and the rest is just cosmetic (black vinyl/tint), paint correction.

The F sport springs I installed are a 1" drop. I rarely if ever have problems on driveways. Car is still pretty high. But yeah it is somewhat of a time consuming mod, but honestly nothing compared to dropping the 3IS--that was 10x harder.

The official Lexus press release says F Sport features sport tuned coil spring settings (exact words), but makes no mention of being lower.
Yeah I'm gonna go full LED this time too. Following your lead most likely.
Our turn signals probably are not LED yet right? I had this earmarked for the IS with thr parts you used saved for when I got to it lol.

Like I said, ill take your word for it but straight from the 2016 brochure on lexus site...(in regard to F-Sport pkg)

"Exclusive sport-tuned suspension optimizes
direct handling, revised shock absorbers and
lowering springs increase responsiveness,
bespoke coil spring settings with advanced roll
rigidity throughout the body elevate driving"
Old 07-21-20, 05:59 PM
TobiasSing
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Our turn signals probably are not LED yet right?
Correct, only the mirrors are LEDs, front and rear bulbs would have to be converted over
Old 07-23-20, 07:18 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by TobiasSing
Correct, only the mirrors are LEDs, front and rear bulbs would have to be converted over
ok thats what I thought thank you
Old 07-23-20, 09:41 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Don't forget the puddle lights in the mirrors too. 194 wedge bulbs.

As for the turn signal LEDs, don't forget to use the resistor mod by modifying the stock relay. No need to purchase a fast-blink relay or use special resistors on the turn signal wiring. Just need your LED bulb of choice and modify the stock relay. The turn signals will blink 100% like stock with no funny business those aftermarket LED relays give you. They'll cause an awkward initial pause when you use your turn signal before they start blinking. yuck
TobiasSing (07-25-20)
Old 07-25-20, 10:50 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Don't forget the puddle lights in the mirrors too. 194 wedge bulbs.

As for the turn signal LEDs, don't forget to use the resistor mod by modifying the stock relay. No need to purchase a fast-blink relay or use special resistors on the turn signal wiring. Just need your LED bulb of choice and modify the stock relay. The turn signals will blink 100% like stock with no funny business those aftermarket LED relays give you. They'll cause an awkward initial pause when you use your turn signal before they start blinking. yuck
Right on i was looking up bulb types and sizes. 1st ill likely do LED interior.

I also want that side mirrors wrapped. Likely do the puddle lights at the same time.

Assume ill find what you mean about modifying the relay in your thread, ill check it out.

Thanks
Old 07-26-20, 11:33 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Here you go: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...t-results.html
Old 07-27-20, 08:53 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Thank you.