Bike Carrying Options...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-20, 10:20 AM
phillymac
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bike Carrying Options...

Hello All,

Really enjoying my car the longer I own it! However I I have a couple kids and we have 3 bikes in total. I have a Chevy Pick-up that I use for work and usually for the bikes, but I was wondering what are some options for the CT? Roof? Rear? Just curious as I would like to be able to drive my car even more. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-31-20, 03:59 AM
spiral
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

There are quite a few options that span lots of price ranges.

id say the least expensive route is a hatchback rack. I’m sure you’ve seen these before. They work well, easy to install/uninstall, but rub on the painted surface if not careful.

I have yet to find a roof rack I like, but there are a few options out there like Thule (last I checked Yakima did not have clips that worked). But once you get the rack on you then have to get the bike racks, so quite a bit more expensive overall.

the route we chose in the end was a hitch mount. The hitch receiver was easy to install (just four bolts in an easy location, didn’t even have to raise the car). It’s low profile so when not being used you hardly notice it. Pretty versatile so you can use other stuff like a cargo rack, etc. we already had a Yakima king pin 4 which is another reason we went the hitch route, but there are lots of other options for hitch bike racks. Generally the more $$ your willing to spend the easier it is to load the bikes and secure them and other features that make them more convenient. We’ve had the king pin for like 15-18 years and still looks new, and the ct for 8 years and the hitch just has a little rust.

i think it boils down to what you like the best. Roof changes the look. Hatch is cumbersome if constantly installing/uninstalling, hitch has a high upfront cost.
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (07-31-20)
Old 07-31-20, 04:14 AM
phillymac
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you! I believe I have a hitch mount Thule rack in the garage too. I didn’t know these cars we’re compatible with a hitch receiver. Where did you purchase that from? My pickup cane from the dealer with one already. Does it add a lot of weight when? Decrease gas mileage considerably?

Originally Posted by spiral
There are quite a few options that span lots of price ranges.

id say the least expensive route is a hatchback rack. I’m sure you’ve seen these before. They work well, easy to install/uninstall, but rub on the painted surface if not careful.

I have yet to find a roof rack I like, but there are a few options out there like Thule (last I checked Yakima did not have clips that worked). But once you get the rack on you then have to get the bike racks, so quite a bit more expensive overall.

the route we chose in the end was a hitch mount. The hitch receiver was easy to install (just four bolts in an easy location, didn’t even have to raise the car). It’s low profile so when not being used you hardly notice it. Pretty versatile so you can use other stuff like a cargo rack, etc. we already had a Yakima king pin 4 which is another reason we went the hitch route, but there are lots of other options for hitch bike racks. Generally the more $$ your willing to spend the easier it is to load the bikes and secure them and other features that make them more convenient. We’ve had the king pin for like 15-18 years and still looks new, and the ct for 8 years and the hitch just has a little rust.

i think it boils down to what you like the best. Roof changes the look. Hatch is cumbersome if constantly installing/uninstalling, hitch has a high upfront cost.
Old 07-31-20, 04:44 AM
spiral
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

CURT 11200 Class 1 Trailer Hitch, 1-1/4-Inch Receiver, Select Lexus CT200h
Amazon Amazon

that what we got. Our CT is a 2012 and our rack came with both 1-1/4 and 2” tongues. Hopefully yours has 1-1/4 too.
Old 07-31-20, 04:47 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Some other threads found using search that might be helpful

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...highlight=Rack
Old 08-05-20, 10:45 AM
rtwamski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+ to the Curt hitch, I have one installed on my 2012 CT and a Swagman 4 bike hitch rack and they work great together. I would bring a wrench and tighten the rack pin every stop, as mine loosens after going over bumps. You might also want to look into a SeaSucker. I wish I would have gotten one of those.
Old 08-26-20, 11:45 AM
Vegasaurus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 for trailer hitch. much better than any trunk or roof rack.

edit: just saw this.

Originally Posted by rtwamski
+ to the Curt hitch, I have one installed on my 2012 CT and a Swagman 4 bike hitch rack and they work great together. I would bring a wrench and tighten the rack pin every stop, as mine loosens after going over bumps. You might also want to look into a SeaSucker. I wish I would have gotten one of those.

a friend of mine owns the SeaSucker. i would not recommend it at all. it hasn't fallen off yet, but it's a huge PITA.

Last edited by Vegasaurus; 09-01-20 at 01:36 PM.