CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Lexus CT200h Suspension differences in the F-Sport version?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 05:19 AM
pdnejoh
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus CT200h Suspension differences in the F-Sport version?

Hello!

We want to buy a Lexus CT200h car for my wife.

I just don't know which version to take.
Simple or F-Sport?
The F-Sport version is visually more beautiful.

BUT, I have a question.

What makes the suspension different?

Is the simple version more comfortable? And the version of the sport is tougher (hard)?

I'm afraid the sport version won't be comfortable ...

Please tell me

Thank!
Old 08-17-20, 06:21 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,179 Likes on 1,007 Posts

The F-Sport suspension is lower and stiffer. It has different stiffer springs, struts and sway bars to lower the car and make it handle better. You need to drive both versions but if it was my wife I would get her the regular version. My wife still complained about the ride in the F-Sport and the low seats as the passenger seat height cannot be adjusted.
I had an F-Sport and although stiff, it still rode better than the 2009 Mini Cooper S that it replaced while handling & driving almost as well although slower.
However, it is quite low to get in and out of compared to the normal vehicle.
Old 08-17-20, 05:46 PM
TobiasSing
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pdnejoh
Is the simple version more comfortable? And the version of the sport is tougher (hard)?
Simple answer is yes. Like Clutchless suggested, it's best for you both to test drive both versions and see. But if you had to go with the safer bet, go with non F-sport.
Old 08-18-20, 07:32 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The F-Sport suspension is lower and stiffer. It has different stiffer springs, struts and sway bars to lower the car and make it handle better. You need to drive both versions but if it was my wife I would get her the regular version. My wife still complained about the ride in the F-Sport and the low seats as the passenger seat height cannot be adjusted.
I had an F-Sport and although stiff, it still rode better than the 2009 Mini Cooper S that it replaced while handling & driving almost as well although slower.
However, it is quite low to get in and out of compared to the normal vehicle.
There's been nothing to prove or suggest the CT200H F Sport is any lower than the non-sport model. Lexus only lists the F Sport springs as being "differently tuned." Parked side by side to a non-sport also suggests there's zero ride height difference. This is why Lexus offers the blue F Sport springs which offer a 1" drop.

As for the F Sport, yes it does ride stiffer in part due to its sway bars, stiffer dampers, and springs. The very first thing I noticed when test driving the CT200h was damn this thing rides hard. And that's someone who's used to track prepped BMWs pretty much my whole life. lol.

you get used to it though and its not that bad. But not like more expensive cars I've owned.
The following 2 users liked this post by E46CT:
Awells1980 (03-26-24), Raidin (08-18-20)
Old 08-18-20, 08:19 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

As someone who drives his F Sport every day, I wish I had gotten the normal version. I did test drive both though, and honestly, it's not THAT different. The F Sport stiffness difference will stand out more and more the worse the road becomes. If you have good, smooth roads where she drives, she should be fine with an F Sport.

If you guys can't test drive both, I would play it safe and go with the normal non-F Sport version. If you end up getting the CT and she is not happy with the ride firmness, I would suggest taller tires before you consider a suspension change. I am running 215/55/17s instead of the factory 215/45/17s and I have no problems with fitment.
The following users liked this post:
liera21 (02-25-21)
Old 08-18-20, 08:52 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I think the CT is just an inherently stiff car due to its short wheel base and overall design and architecture. A stiffer (newer) more modern chassis means you can tune the suspension softer to achieve the same result. So in effect, our cars are stiffly tuned because the chassis is really not that rigid. Also during this time, Lexus was trying to aim for a younger audience w/ the CT.

Keep in mind too the stock (in other parts of world) 16" wheels which would give you taller tires and theoretically a softer ride. If someone really liked the CT but REALLY wanted more comfort, they could try this for not much cost I'd think.

I'm still curious what kind of fuel economy stock Prius wheels and tires would give... I bet it fuel economy and comfort would go way up!
Vegasaurus (08-24-20)
Old 08-18-20, 11:52 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

There was a brochure I quoted saying the springs were lower on the F-Sport, but as said above they've also said they were not (or omitted thst statement) elsewhere. Certainly doesn't look any lower but I haven't compared side by side.

Either way, I cant imagine a car of this size having too much of a softer suspension. A little, yes of course. But not like it can ride like an old Cadillac given its size.

One thing I'm continually impressed with....the handling. Never drove a non-FS model but this thing hugs corners well. And its not just a sport oriented necessity, anyone benefits from that even at lower speeds or highway driving.

If looks are the only selling point for you on an FS...i would just get the regular model. So much easier to find and $1-3k less in my area at least. Unless looks are a deal breaker...

I came from an IS on lowering springs and loved the midday on this car between sport and comfort. Ill likely be keeping it just the way it is. No need to worry on steep driveways or speed bumps.
Old 08-18-20, 12:11 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^Are you sure the brochure didn't mention optional lower *BLUE* F Sport springs? I don't recall any literature anywhere saying the F Sport is inherently lower than the non-F Sport. I'm on my 2nd CT200h F Sport (first one was in 2016) and both were/are as high as any stock non F Sport. High as a daisy. This would match pretty much most manufacturers sport packages that don't lower their "sport package" springs, but rather change the spring rates instead. Lowering a car from the factory is a pretty drastic step but for really stand-out packages (like true motorsports cars)

Here's the official Lexus brochure. The only reference to "lower" is the Official F Sport lowering springs. All other mention of the standard F Sport suspension is that it's sport tuned.

https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...t-Brochure.pdf Page 21
Old 08-18-20, 12:15 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Also here is a photo of the F Sport. High riding, just as the standard non -F model.

Old 08-18-20, 12:17 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I came from an IS on lowering springs and loved the midday on this car between sport and comfort. Ill likely be keeping it just the way it is. No need to worry on steep driveways or speed bumps.
Stock is cool but F Sport springs are cool too. I don't hit one iota on speed bumps or driveways. This car has short enough overhangs and a short enough wheelbase that lowering a tad doesn't really affect anything.
Old 08-18-20, 01:42 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by E46CT
^Are you sure the brochure didn't mention optional lower *BLUE* F Sport springs? I don't recall any literature anywhere saying the F Sport is inherently lower than the non-F Sport. I'm on my 2nd CT200h F Sport (first one was in 2016) and both were/are as high as any stock non F Sport. High as a daisy. This would match pretty much most manufacturers sport packages that don't lower their "sport package" springs, but rather change the spring rates instead. Lowering a car from the factory is a pretty drastic step but for really stand-out packages (like true motorsports cars)

Here's the official Lexus brochure. The only reference to "lower" is the Official F Sport lowering springs. All other mention of the standard F Sport suspension is that it's sport tuned.

https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...t-Brochure.pdf Page 21
Funny, that brochure is for 2017. The same one, but for 2016, says the following....(doesn't exactly state they are installed, but certainly implies. However the 2017 says basically the same thing but omits that part).
Google 2016 ct200h f sport brochure.

2016 Brochure
"Exclusive sport-tuned suspension optimizes
direct handling, revised shock absorbers and
lowering springs increase responsiveness,
bespoke coil spring settings with advanced roll
rigidity throughout the body elevate driving
dynamics, and aerodynamic cutouts in the rear
spoiler help provide added downforce for
greater grip and control."

2017 Brochure
"An exclusive
sport-tuned suspension optimizes direct
handling as revised shock absorbers
increase responsiveness. Bespoke coil
spring settings bolster advanced rigidity
throughout the body for enhanced driving
dynamics, and aerodynamic cutouts in
the rear spoiler help provide added
downforce for greater grip and control."
Stock is cool but F Sport springs are cool too. I don't hit one iota on speed bumps or driveways. This car has short enough overhangs and a short enough wheelbase that lowering a tad doesn't really affect anything.
Thats a good point. 1" drop on this car is not the same thing as 1" on a larger car....shorter wheel base.
Old 08-18-20, 01:57 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

They probably tweaked the description cause their marketing dept. had a miscommunication with the engineering dept. There's no way they lifted the CT back up for 2017 including new part #s. That would be way too expensive change to implement for an unlikely and unnecessary change.
Old 08-18-20, 02:34 PM
HOMER350
Racer

They probably tweaked the description cause their marketing dept. had a miscommunication with the engineering dept. There's no way they lifted the CT back up for 2017 including new part #s. That would be way too expensive change to implement for an unlikely and unnecessary change.
Clearly the same build between each year, just interesting the discrepancy. Marketing trying too hard perhaps. I had thought it may have been a 0.1" drop just so they could say "lowering springs" but that'd come at a larger cost too.
Old 08-19-20, 07:37 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,179 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I know my 2012 F-Sport SE, did have the blue springs and was one of 950 or so Special Editions that year. It was definitely lower than a regular CT. Maybe only the SE models got those from the factory.
I was lucky enough to get mine used with 1800 miles on it from a Mercedes dealer. The first owner had it for 6 weeks then traded it in on a Mercedes Benz. However, he kept the matching Tumi luggage that came with the SE model in 2012.
user82 (06-01-23)
Old 08-19-20, 08:20 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

They probably just revised the spring rate, not changed the height.

Quick Reply: Lexus CT200h Suspension differences in the F-Sport version?