CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

GF is interested in 2014 ct 200h

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-20, 11:15 PM
ErikRX350
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GF is interested in 2014 ct 200h

She currently has a 2008 RX 350 and is having issues come up at the 190k mark. Her eye caught a 2014 ct 200h. Was wondering if I could get some pros and most definitely cons from you ct owners. Thank you in advance!
Old 10-05-20, 02:42 PM
sjw91
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2014, and I've had no problems whatsoever. Pros: 40+ mpg, very reliable, good build quality, good handling, brake pads seem to last forever. Cons: road noise, trunk space, back seat space, and it's slow. Power is good for short bursts, but not for onramps. It's a great commuter car.
The following users liked this post:
Raidin (10-06-20)
Old 10-06-20, 07:55 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

I have no problems with my CT on onramps. By the time I'm at the end of the onramp, I'm already equal speed or faster than the other cars. I'd say for that situation i'd even argue it's a little too fast. Certainly more than adequate.

I like my CT.. only thing I'd trade it for is an ES300h cause the CT is a bit small.

Except when you fold the seats down. I put a queen size Ikea bed (solid wood) AND a 6-drawer dresser in back of the CT... with the gate closed. Surprised really!

Also get the F Sport only. In a word: value.
The following 4 users liked this post by E46CT:
ErikRX350 (10-06-20), Raidin (10-06-20), TobiasSing (10-06-20), Vegasaurus (10-06-20)
Old 10-06-20, 02:40 PM
Vegasaurus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I have no problems with my CT on onramps. By the time I'm at the end of the onramp, I'm already equal speed or faster than the other cars. I'd say for that situation i'd even argue it's a little too fast. Certainly more than adequate.

I like my CT.. only thing I'd trade it for is an ES300h cause the CT is a bit small.

Except when you fold the seats down. I put a queen size Ikea bed (solid wood) AND a 6-drawer dresser in back of the CT... with the gate closed. Surprised really!

Also get the F Sport only. In a word: value.

Agreed 100%.

Honestly my biggest gripe about the CT is how small the gas tank is.
The following users liked this post:
ErikRX350 (10-06-20)
Old 10-06-20, 05:40 PM
ErikRX350
Rookie

What's the difference in the models? The sport 200s. And 8 I've seen picture, but haven't seen the car in person - doesn't seem like there is a lot out there. It doesn't look like a Prius does it??
Old 10-07-20, 02:25 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikRX350
What's the difference in the models? The sport 200s. And 8 I've seen picture, but haven't seen the car in person - doesn't seem like there is a lot out there. It doesn't look like a Prius does it??
there's not a lot out there a no of course doesnt look like a prius at all. I actually got mine for less $ than an equivalent prius I think just because it's less known.

CT is a perfect commuter. I was worried about lack of power but it does fine on the lower end <70mph and gets on the freeway just fine. That was important to me. Not a real good passing ability but where I live not a concern. Again, sufficient speed for what it is. I drove a 1.8L sedan for a while years back and this CT is quicker than that was forsure.
Old 10-07-20, 09:54 PM
ErikRX350
Rookie

Originally Posted by HOMER350
there's not a lot out there a no of course doesnt look like a prius at all. I actually got mine for less $ than an equivalent prius I think just because it's less known.

CT is a perfect commuter. I was worried about lack of power but it does fine on the lower end <70mph and gets on the freeway just fine. That was important to me. Not a real good passing ability but where I live not a concern. Again, sufficient speed for what it is. I drove a 1.8L sedan for a while years back and this CT is quicker than that was forsure.
That's awesome to hear. I was really worried when I seen the HP on the CT. My girl drives with a lead foot in her RX for sure.

One last question, maintenance. The CT is discontinued correct? So are parts automatically more expensive then? Specifically the hybrid battery (I hear they are super expensive), although they share the same battery as the Prius right? Always leery of a discontinued car. The only issues I've read is door handles/locks really.

Thanks for your input guys. She seems pretty set on a white ct200h, although it's a base model. Should I try to get her to look for a sport model?
Old 10-08-20, 07:24 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

That's awesome to hear. I was really worried when I seen the HP on the CT. My girl drives with a lead foot in her RX for sure.

One last question, maintenance. The CT is discontinued correct? So are parts automatically more expensive then? Specifically the hybrid battery (I hear they are super expensive), although they share the same battery as the Prius right? Always leery of a discontinued car. The only issues I've read is door handles/locks really.

Thanks for your input guys. She seems pretty set on a white ct200h, although it's a base model. Should I try to get her to look for a sport model?
the CT is DC'd in the US, still produced over in European and other markets. Small hatchback economic vehicles do better elsewhere.

Same drivetrain as a Prius including the battery, I think. So in that regard parts are plentiful.

Door handle/locks are a "common" issue forever across Toyota and Lexus. Common is relative so not really the word I would use personally, but it happens more than others.

I got a F-Sport model but I would of been ok without it. Happy I have it for the OEM black roof (which I was going to do if I got a base model) and sport tuned suspension. The car handles really well, but I never drove a base model for comparison. For me personally its not a deal breaker, but happy I have it. For others it was a deal breaker.

Old 10-08-20, 06:26 PM
TobiasSing
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

If the hybrid battery needs to be replaced, there are many aftermarket options, so that's not a worry.

If she wants stiffer firmer suspension, you can go for the sport version.
Old 10-09-20, 01:15 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

As said, the power train is one of the sturdiest and cheapest and most plentiful powertrains ever to exist, under any brand. So no issues there, even if the CT is discontinued. And yeah get the sport model. =)

And yeah whenever I see another CT, I get a bit giddy inside. I feel like we're part of a small special club. Sort of a "rare" car that is lesser known and not many people were attracted to due to it being slow, its size, and that it's a hatchback, and expensive (brand new). So those four factor kind of turned it into a rare little cute fuel sipping beast not many people drive. When you see another F Sport on the road, you know it's real!
The following 2 users liked this post by E46CT:
Raidin (10-10-20), TobiasSing (10-09-20)