CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Another base ct200h headunit upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-21, 08:05 AM
msjulie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another base ct200h headunit upgrade

We have a base ct200h (off lease purchase, no nav, basic head unit) - the phone pairs for music but phone pairing for actual calls has been problematic from the start. I've seen some threads, not too many, on replacing the head unit so asking for any new guidance.

I was looking at this one - requires a couple adapter cables
Amazon Amazon
They are similar units, budget can be upped if the results warrant higher price

We aren't looking to upgrade the sound system itself just yet, but would like carplay and the ability to hook up a backup cam. For those (any?) that have replaced the base head unit, any specific gotchas on that front?

thanks
Old 02-08-21, 04:41 PM
TheRob
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by msjulie
We aren't looking to upgrade the sound system itself just yet, but would like carplay and the ability to hook up a backup cam. For those (any?) that have replaced the base head unit, any specific gotchas on that front?

thanks
The only gotcha I would say is the OEM head unit is not a standard double din. So modifications will be required to get it to fit. I had a shop install a pioneer w4400nex for me. Definitely worth it though.

Last edited by TheRob; 02-12-21 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-08-21, 05:40 PM
msjulie
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-09-21, 07:59 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

I wouldn't go aftermarket (no offense to the Pioneer guy) it's not made for it, is at a poor location and angle which can distract you for what it's trying to do (to be an interactive unit).

I certainly wouldn't use the chinese unit.

What's the exact problem with your "problematic" calls. I find the system is picky about how you pair it. I learned by trial and error. I remember there's one way you pair it to where it doesn't work right.

My iPhone 12 Pro syncs and works flawlessly with my headunit. Yeah it's not as fast as modern cars but the audio is perfect once connected. Same HU as you, 2015 non-nav.
The following users liked this post:
FrncJsphsn (11-14-21)
Old 02-09-21, 10:16 AM
TheRob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
I wouldn't go aftermarket (no offense to the Pioneer guy) it's not made for it, is at a poor location and angle which can distract you for what it's trying to do (to be an interactive unit).
I disagree with it being a poor location and angle. It may not be the best location sure but it definitely works for me and may work good for others. Most of my interaction with it, I’m mostly using Siri to get directions or play a certain track/playlist. I also have the steering wheel controls to change tracks and volume. Also music definitely sounds way better than using the Bluetooth audio on the OEM head unit.

Old 02-09-21, 10:20 AM
msjulie
Driver School Candidate

Our issue, aside from pairing, is that we want

- a backup camera
- nav on a screen bigger than on a phone
- carplay for text messaging etc

I appreciate the debate
Old 02-09-21, 12:36 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheRob
I disagree with it being a poor location and angle. It may not be the best location sure but it definitely works for me and may work good for others. Most of my interaction with it, I’m mostly using Siri to get directions or play a certain track/playlist. I also have the steering wheel controls to change tracks and volume. Also music definitely sounds way better than using the Bluetooth audio on the OEM head unit.
I'm sure it sounds better than stock, but again, it's a poor location. Think about if any cars today come stock with large screens so low on the console and angled towards the roof. You start di*king around with a touch screen 2 feet below your eye line and you're asking for an accident to happen. You're coming from the perspective who has a shop do stuff for them while I have way over a decade doing custom stereo installs so I know the game.

Not to mention it hacks up your car because you have to modify it. If there's a possibility of selling your car later on, you've just shrunken your audience to a small few who would buy a car that has a niche/custom stereo system which hacked up the dash and surrounding area.

Not to mention it's also a target for thieves and looks generally unattractive (doesn't match the car's aesthetics)
Old 02-09-21, 12:39 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by msjulie
Our issue, aside from pairing, is that we want

- a backup camera
- nav on a screen bigger than on a phone
- carplay for text messaging etc

I appreciate the debate
Sounds like a newer car modern car w/ features would be a better fit than trying to jerry rig your existing one.

I'm guessing you don't have modifying experience so paying someone to do all the above for you is going to cost a nice penny relative to the value of the car. That's assuming you select good parts and are happy with the outcome
Old 02-09-21, 05:28 PM
msjulie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
Sounds like a newer car modern car w/ features would be a better fit than trying to jerry rig your existing one.
That's a bulldozer when a hand spade would do; the location of the screen may not be perfect but isn't that for the owner to decide the value?

I'm guessing you don't have modifying experience so paying someone to do all the above for you is going to cost a nice penny relative to the value of the car. That's assuming you select good parts and are happy with the outcome
Guess again. I've not torn this car apart but I'm no stranger to a bunch of mods/fixes/maintenance/etc

Thanks for playing

Old 02-09-21, 07:58 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Although the location is not deal for finding your way through a city, and it could end up looking Jury rigged...it comes with the benefit if some nice to have features. I had Nav on my last IS and based on the system...decided I'd prefer not to even have one on the CT.

Ive looked at doing the same just to try it out if ever time permits. Hold onto the original in case it goes south. Having android auto to me, may just make it worth it even if the screen was out of sight.

Actually, its possible to install an OEM system system it seems if you could fine a used one. By possible I mean relatively easy (anything is possible). They sell a aftermarket Chinese setup which I wouldn't recommend, but I did read up on how they installed the thing on a non-nav for reference, pretty simple.

Anyone know a setup MADE for our car that isn't the Chinese version like this one?
https://www.dvdgpsnav.com/lexus-ct20...head-unit.html

Old 02-10-21, 07:56 AM
msjulie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Although the location is not deal for finding your way through a city, and it could end up looking Jury rigged...it comes with the benefit if some nice to have features. I had Nav on my last IS and based on the system...decided I'd prefer not to even have one on the CT
The appeal of a CarPlay head unit for us is we're using nav from the phone (often Waze) with the phone mounted on the vent, serviceable. Agree that many manufacturer supplied nav is meh. Our other car's nav is ok, but it is not up to date and does not have traffic etc.
Old 02-10-21, 08:59 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Mine is a 2016 F-Sport no Nav, so I get it. My phone fits in that little hole on the center console, otherwise ill mount to the windshield, lower left.

I've thought about installing a tablet, somewhere. But don't think it would look too clean, and id need to be able to reach it (and pay for service on it to have signal).
Old 02-12-21, 06:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I actually live in Cutler Bay, recognized the map immediately, excellent install.
Old 02-12-21, 11:48 AM
TheRob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I actually live in Cutler Bay, recognized the map immediately, excellent install.
Sweet dude! Good to see there’s another fellow CT driver in my area and thanks. So useful to have a carplay head unit in my CT. What color is your CT?
Old 02-15-21, 03:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRob
Sweet dude! Good to see there’s another fellow CT driver in my area and thanks. So useful to have a carplay head unit in my CT. What color is your CT?
Black, it's a black, base model, haven't had the need to upgrade the head unit yet, something I may do in the future, but here it is below. First picture is at Chapman Field Park and the second picture is near the Publix at around 148th Street and US1, this is when Offerdahl's was still open there.

The following users liked this post:
msjulie (02-15-21)

Quick Reply: Another base ct200h headunit upgrade