CT 200h 2016 batteries during Covid

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-21, 06:02 AM
nevai
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CT 200h 2016 batteries during Covid

Hi:

I have an over 80 year old friend who knows nothing about cars and who stayed locked down since March of 2020 (Covid). Yesterday she checked her 2016 Lexus CT 200h that was not driven since the lockdown started. To her surprise (but not to mine) the batteries were dead. Now she is clueless and scared. She doesn't know if it is safe to let the car sit another couple of months until her Covid vaccination starts to work and when she will feel safe to visit her Lexus dealer. So I ask you guys (and ladies): what advice I should give her?

A. Is it safe if her car just its in the garage with the batteries fully run down?

B. How can the problem be fixed? A simple recharge or does she need new batteries? Approximate cost?

Many many thanks in advance, Paul

P.S. My 2006 Lexus LS 430 is still in a showroom condition and have under 60K miles on it. Works perfectly.
The following users liked this post:
Raidin (02-09-21)
Old 02-09-21, 07:52 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,176 Likes on 1,633 Posts

In all likelihood, she could just get her car jump started, drive it around a little bit to let the (12V) battery charge, (i'd do it for 30 min on a fully drained battery) and rinse and repeat once a month. She could call AAA or you could do it for her. Just jump it using the terminals under the hood. I believe you have to remove the fuse box cover to reveal the positive terminal. Read the manual, it explains/shows a diagram.

A new battery is about $250 from the dealer I think, assuming the battery is bad. If it's the first time the battery has been discharged, I think it should be OK from 2016 to simply jump and recharge it.

And yeah it's safe to let the car sit. The 12V is tiny so probably a good idea like I mentioned to drive it around once a month to keep it charged. Personally I'd do it every two weeks in her situation.
Raidin (02-09-21)
Old 02-09-21, 02:41 PM
nevai
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you so much for your advice. I told my friend what you suggested and she followed it.
Raidin (02-09-21)
Old 02-09-21, 05:59 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Even though she's on lockdown, she should drive her car at least once a month. It will charge the battery so it won't die, rotate the tires so they don't spot sitting still for so long on the same point, and keep the fluids and gasoline moving so they don't deteriorate. Mostly the gasoline is what worries me. She can stay safe as long as she doesn't go outside the car, and just drives right back home.
The following 2 users liked this post by Raidin:
liera21 (02-25-21), Trexus (02-09-21)
Old 02-09-21, 07:00 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Follow E46CT's advice. Drive the car at least once or twice a month including on the freeway to keep the 12V battery charged. You never want to fully drain a 12V battery too many times, it lessens the life of the battery. I had my original 12V battery on my CT for 7 years before it needed to be replaced.

P.S. Let your friend know to take vitamins A, D3, C, zinc and iodine for good health.

Last edited by Trexus; 02-09-21 at 07:05 PM.
Raidin (02-10-21)
Old 02-09-21, 08:38 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Definitely they should drive occasionally as suggested or ask a friend. One of the worst things for a car is to sit unused. Battery, and many other components don't like that.

I used to leave the negative terminal disconnected when I was gone for weeks...however I'm not sure thats a good idea on this car (recent post of someone locked out of their car because of a dead battery, apparently).
Raidin (02-10-21)
Old 02-25-21, 11:56 AM
liera21
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There is an official bulletin about it related to the Covid pandemic at https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/.

TLDR; Every week, drive for 30 minutes for at least 10 miles above 30 MPG or idle for 30 minutes, trickle charge or disconnect (doesn't mention but I'm sure the battery has to have some charge, preferably full)

Lexus Vehicle Battery Maintenance

The primary battery in your Lexus vehicle needs to remain fully charged to start and drive your vehicle. If not used regularly, it may reduce its performance and life. In the worst-case scenario, it can even leave you stranded. There are conditions including how long it is stored without being driven, as well as parasitic draw that can impact the battery’s available charge. Because of these factors, battery maintenance is required to ensure proper operation and optimal battery life.

Under the current COVID-19 environment, some people may not be driving their vehicles for long periods of time.

There are three methods of battery maintenance:

1. Driving the Vehicle/Starting the Engine This is the easiest method. The vehicle is used weekly after non-use. Driving the vehicle for 30 minutes with all accessories off for at least 10 miles above 30 MPH will maintain the battery’s charge. If you are unable to drive the vehicle, start and run the engine in an open-air environment for 30 minutes with all the accessories off.

2. External Battery Charging Connect an external battery charger (also known as a battery “tender” or “trickle charger”). This device hooks up to your car battery on one end and plugs into a wall outlet on the other. It delivers enough electrical power to prevent the battery from discharging. For instructions on how to safely connect a battery charger, contact your Lexus dealership.

Your local Lexus dealer may have an external battery charger available for purchase at a nominal cost. Alternately, you can purchase an automotive battery charger online.

3. Disconnect the Battery Cable Parasitic draw or parasitic drain is a term for an electrical component consuming electricity when the vehicle is not used, even after the vehicle has been shut off. The average vehicle can have as many as 50 computers that all use small amounts of electricity. Over time, this can cause the vehicle's electrical system to function improperly and the vehicle may exhibit the following symptom: a persistently dead battery.

To reduce parasitic drain on vehicles in storage for a week or longer, the negative (-) black colored battery cable may be disconnected to eliminate the battery discharge. Note, when the negative (-) battery cable is reconnected, you will need to check and reset electrical components such as the clock, radio settings, seat memory, etc.
Trexus (02-25-21)