CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Modest Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-21, 01:42 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Modest Speaker Upgrade

I've modded my own cars since pre-drivers license...but never have done anything with audio. I have a base audio 6 speaker 2016 CT.

The terms people throw out when im reading up on this leave me a bit lost.

My needs....
I mostly listen to talk radio or spend my commute making phone calls. I do want more crisp and louder sound for music though.

Nothing outrageous, just better and preferably able to listen at a higher volume while remaining with decent crisp sound.

I went and talked to some local shops to get an idea. $1200+ OTD with amp and some "precessor" since im retaining stock HU. Speakers alone running $500 without labor?

Can I not just buy $250 set of 4 speakers, hookup myself and have some improvement? Maybe I'll want an amp later and a little sub....isnthis obtainable under $600 parts? Would I be throwing money away for $250 in speakers? Seems like anything would be much better than what I have.

Any help on a modest, better than stock setup would be appreciated. I dont need the "bomb" stereo setup....just better sound.

Old 02-21-21, 05:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,840 Likes on 2,400 Posts

You need a proper amplifier to get better sound what's in a head unit or even the factory amplifier is acceptable at best. I recently did a system with Hertz speakers and a Hertz 5-channel amp the improvement is incredible. All told the upgrade was about $700, the car already had an aftermarket head unit.

I'm not familiar with the factory system in your car so not sure how well it could be integrated with a new amplifier. You don't need a digital processing unit unless you want to get into higher end type systems.

FYI Kicker, JL Audio and Rockford Fosgate* make their own amps meaning they are not a variation of another design or their name slapped on a generic amp. I am not sure about Hertz, I popped the cover it looked like it was a design unique to them but can't be sure. For the money and the sound quality the Hertz HCP 5D is excellent value.

*I'm sure there are others that make their own stuff those are the ones I know of.
Old 02-21-21, 05:52 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

Unfortunately, the OEM amp is pretty weak for the base system. Adding new speakers even if they were $1000 a piece would be of little gain if you are keeping the OEM amp.

What you can do as a first step is just upgrade the amp and keep the factory speakers, they're not too bad for Lexus, and can take a little more power. But I do suggest a DSP with the amp and a proper tune. With proper EQ, time delay, and filtering you can really push the factory speakers to the limit.
Old 02-21-21, 05:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Replacing only your speakers would probably make the system sound worse as they need more current to properly move the voice coils.
Old 02-21-21, 08:32 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Thanks for the input!

So sounds like I'll start with an amp. I read somewhere i don't even have an amp, but thought that sounded unlikely.

If I do (base 6 speaker system (no sub in the trunk) I assume an amp would be pretty plug and play from there?

I have an amp (just for bass I'm told) and a HUGE expensive sub someone gave me too. I'd like to figure out how to hook that up. I guess get an amp which has an extra channel to hook up the 2nd amp?

Problem is when I look up DIY posts people get quite involved and lose me in the process (or videos skip the important yet "amateur" processes). Ill have to dig in more.
Old 02-21-21, 08:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Adding an amp (or replacing the stock one) is probably not a plug n play thing you'll be doing some custom wiring. What does your stereo look like? BTW if your head unit does not have line out then you'll sacrificing sound quality, you can use speaker output to go to the amplifier but this is not ideal.

There's a reason a shop wanted $1200 there is a fair bit of work involved upgrading a sound system.
Old 02-22-21, 05:15 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Thanks for the input!

So sounds like I'll start with an amp. I read somewhere i don't even have an amp, but thought that sounded unlikely.

If I do (base 6 speaker system (no sub in the trunk) I assume an amp would be pretty plug and play from there?

I have an amp (just for bass I'm told) and a HUGE expensive sub someone gave me too. I'd like to figure out how to hook that up. I guess get an amp which has an extra channel to hook up the 2nd amp?

Problem is when I look up DIY posts people get quite involved and lose me in the process (or videos skip the important yet "amateur" processes). Ill have to dig in more.
I’m not to well versed in CT’s but if it’s anything like other Lexus and Toyota’s either your amp is built into the radio itself or under the passenger seat/in the trunk. May need you to do some snooping around.

Adding the subwoofer and its amp is no problem but you will still need another amp for your factory speakers. In this case run zero gauge power wire to where you want the amps then use a distribution block. Signal will come out the LOC or DSP depending on which one you used.

Feel free to PM me if you want some in-depth help. I have done a few sound installs and am pretty well versed in Lexyota.
Old 02-23-21, 08:22 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Thanks again!

So I think I'm gonna start with just the amp I have and the sub to go with it. I decided to today starting with some bass would be a huge improvement...the csr has zero bass right now.

However I do this, I want to set it up to be ready for new speakers and amp to go with them.

Amp location on the 10 speaker premium option is under the passenger seat. I have no amp there (base audio option).

Will I need to run 2 power cords from the battery? Or will I be able to use the same one later for a 2nd amp?
And looks like I'll need to install that RCA cable converter (whatever its called, LC box?) behind the stereo regardless since i have stock 90s style stereo. I just want to get one which will have space hooking up 2nd amp later i guess?
Old 02-23-21, 08:27 PM
HOMER350
Racer

And here is a picture of the stereo

Old 02-24-21, 03:32 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Thanks again!

So I think I'm gonna start with just the amp I have and the sub to go with it. I decided to today starting with some bass would be a huge improvement...the csr has zero bass right now.

However I do this, I want to set it up to be ready for new speakers and amp to go with them.

Amp location on the 10 speaker premium option is under the passenger seat. I have no amp there (base audio option).

Will I need to run 2 power cords from the battery? Or will I be able to use the same one later for a 2nd amp?
And looks like I'll need to install that RCA cable converter (whatever its called, LC box?) behind the stereo regardless since i have stock 90s style stereo. I just want to get one which will have space hooking up 2nd amp later i guess?
If you want to start with the sub, should be pretty easy and cheaper. That's what I did on my NX and it made night and day difference.

The first question is do you want to go with a cheap LOC or get something decent so you can add a second amp down the line. If you want cheap get this sub only harness: LOC Harness ; If you want something more sophisticated I suggest an AudioControls LC2i or JL Twk86.

You only need to run one power wire from battery to wherever the amps will be, I suggest a 0 gauge so you can use a distribution block to split the power and add the speaker amp later. Do take into consideration you need grounds so makes sure it's in a spot where you can find a ground or make one.
Old 02-24-21, 04:23 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
If you want to start with the sub, should be pretty easy and cheaper. That's what I did on my NX and it made night and day difference.

The first question is do you want to go with a cheap LOC or get something decent so you can add a second amp down the line. If you want cheap get this sub only harness: LOC Harness ; If you want something more sophisticated I suggest an AudioControls LC2i or JL Twk86.

You only need to run one power wire from battery to wherever the amps will be, I suggest a 0 gauge so you can use a distribution block to split the power and add the speaker amp later. Do take into consideration you need grounds so makes sure it's in a spot where you can find a ground or make one.
Thank you for your help! I wasn't sure which of these I needed. 2 videos I watched of a simple sub addition when all out beyond what was needed it seemed.

I will get 0 gauge power wire. Likely running to the trunk but I'll look around.

If I got the LOC2i it will enable me to add a 2nd amp later, the 2 channel LC2 (correct?). Will I also need a harness made for Lexus inorder to get it to connect behind my stereo? Or does it connect by splicing all the speaker wires into it? (And then back out of it to continue to speakers).

The harness option looks very plug and play. But again I do want to be able to add another amp later.
Old 02-25-21, 07:35 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

I PM'ed you. Have a new set of DB651 polk 2-way marine speakers bolted up to 6x9 adapters and wiring harnesses.. brand new never used. was going to put into my new ES but didn't work out. but had this exact setup in my CT and was great NOT amped and AMPED.

also have my sub from the CT along with amp if you want it.. and for that matter the amp for my CT i used for the front speakers. i'm not transferring it to my ES.
Old 02-25-21, 07:37 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

you should ask me, not anyone else. i already audio'd up two CT200h F sports. one brand new and my last one. lol.

for your purposes, and even mine, my setup worked fine. HU puts out full range signals and works great w/ an amp that has level inputs. i have all the stuff in my garage ready to go. extremely loud powerful and clear with my setup. no clipping.

also i'll give you some advice on where to put the stuff, mistakes i've learned, how to access the HU and interior panels. i can do it blindfolded.
Old 02-25-21, 03:20 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Thank you for your help! I wasn't sure which of these I needed. 2 videos I watched of a simple sub addition when all out beyond what was needed it seemed.

I will get 0 gauge power wire. Likely running to the trunk but I'll look around.

If I got the LOC2i it will enable me to add a 2nd amp later, the 2 channel LC2 (correct?). Will I also need a harness made for Lexus inorder to get it to connect behind my stereo? Or does it connect by splicing all the speaker wires into it? (And then back out of it to continue to speakers).

The harness option looks very plug and play. But again I do want to be able to add another amp later.
Yes, the AudioControls LC2i will allow you to add another amp down the line, it has sub and hi outputs. You can do either/or, I like harnesses as it's reversible, but you can tap/splice as well. With the tap/splice, you can do it anywhere along the speaker wire, unlike harnesses which must be done at the connectors.

Check in with E46CT, who definitely sounds more well versed in CT's than I am, but I would be happy to share what I did with my NX.
Old 02-26-21, 07:14 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Thanks x2 for the input. I'll put together a list and work on my you tube certification a bit more

I spoke to a shop by my house and was told the LC2 does not allow an amp later and thst I need the LC7 for that. But you're right it does that the HI output RCAs so what else would they be for.

E46CT I replied to you and on 2nd thought may just make that special trip up there, I'm likely only 30 mins away depending on where you're at. I'd like to see what you got and bug you for some pointers...interested in the speakers and maybe the amp you powered with....maybe even the sub as the one I have literally is like half the cargo space of the CT kind of overkill. I've heard the sub in the A3 it came from and it's more than I desire.

Quick Reply: Modest Speaker Upgrade