CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Speaker only upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-21, 05:41 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by liera21
If I wanted to keep the same form-factor and aesthetic, would something like the below pic make a big difference (no amp)? I would like to add an amp but I think I would need to route a remote start wire to turn it on when the car starts, is there a way to do so splicing into anything in the trunk?

Looks good! I like it better without the side panel grille over the sub anyways. Did the sub come with some sort of protective cover? That would be a nice addition.

Could use black body panel plugs for those 2 holes on your sub enclosure. Just whatever they have locally which is the right size.

And the amp remote wire I routed to the cig lighter, right underneath it in the center console. Seemed a common option and I confirmed 1st that it does turn off immediately after turning off the car (some cars keep those live even after turning off the car). I can't imagine there is anything in the trunk to do this. Except lights and a reverse camera which I assume wouldn't work.
Old 03-07-21, 10:38 PM
liera21
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Looks good! I like it better without the side panel grille over the sub anyways. Did the sub come with some sort of protective cover? That would be a nice addition.

Could use black body panel plugs for those 2 holes on your sub enclosure. Just whatever they have locally which is the right size.

And the amp remote wire I routed to the cig lighter, right underneath it in the center console. Seemed a common option and I confirmed 1st that it does turn off immediately after turning off the car (some cars keep those live even after turning off the car). I can't imagine there is anything in the trunk to do this. Except lights and a reverse camera which I assume wouldn't work.
Thank you! I think it gives it some character as is but I would like to semi-cover all the flashy logos and text, this sub didn't come with a grille and haven't seen subs that come with it, I might be able to use one of the 6.5 JBL speaker grilles, will see how it looks like.

About the panel plugs, that's a good idea, I will have to trim them because they'll hit the enclosure but no biggie and thank you for confirming the cig lighter, that makes sense, I forgot that most cars turn it off.
Old 03-12-21, 05:49 PM
liera21
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Quick update, I installed one of the 6.5" speaker grilles from the 6.5" JBL Clubs and the panel plugs. Man, these grilles really take the character out, I need a grille that looks tougher. On another note, if you didn't know, if you have the navigation screen you probably have DVD playback, I got some classy shows and these sound AMAZING! If you're still listening to music through Bluetooth you're not getting the best. Get some quality music files on your USB stick or play CD/DVD directly

Edit -- I ordered some sound deadening, the doors do rattle more, the other effects are that it will also reduce road noise and help control temperature better. This is what I got: AmazonSmile: MAT66 ProBlack 80 mil 36 sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Vehicle Audio Sound Insulation and Dampening Material: Automotive

Edit2 -- I bought a car trim removal tool kit, I recall the numerous times I could have used them and this time they helped a lot, I can't vouch for the quality as I just bought them and didn't stress them but I'm including the link if you're interested:
AmazonSmile: Wetado Trim Removal Tool, Car Upholstery Repair Kit, Car Door Audio Panel Trim Removal Set, Auto Clip Pliers 8PCS (Dark Red): Automotive

Last edited by liera21; 03-12-21 at 05:59 PM.