CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Tablet Addition?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 06:59 AM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by minh6710
I don’t like the factory NAV. It’s sluggish and I don’t believe there is any way to update it, unlike the Garmin, which also has a much better user interface. The Garmin can connect to WiFi so it is easy to take into the house and update. I have used google maps on the iPad and it’s pretty decent but in my opinion nothing beats a dedicated device like the Garmin which only has one job. The Garmin is also a dash cam. It is the Garmin DriveAssist 51 LMT which has been discontinued but you can still find on places like eBay.

It also doubles as an additional backup camera with the Garmin BC30 camera attached to the license plate.
Good point, it's also serving as a dash cam / backup camera, didn't think of that!

Old 07-16-21, 09:01 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

I think that setup with the RAM mount is awesome ha. Too much for my needs though I just wouldn't interact with the device enough to justify it. But working on the road out of the car often or something would be perfect.

The placement of that Garmin is interesting, I would want to route the cord along or within headliner and down A pillar. Hows it working out for you?

I still am yet to find a mount I like to test. only looked at the immediate options on Amazon and eBay so I need to dig deeper.. I don't really like the ones with the little teeth that hold onto the device, I like the ones that are a little more flush or look more "permanent".

Next time I'll check I'll post some options I'm considering.
Old 07-16-21, 10:39 AM
minh6710
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I think that setup with the RAM mount is awesome ha. Too much for my needs though I just wouldn't interact with the device enough to justify it. But working on the road out of the car often or something would be perfect.

The placement of that Garmin is interesting, I would want to route the cord along or within headliner and down A pillar. Hows it working out for you?

I still am yet to find a mount I like to test. only looked at the immediate options on Amazon and eBay so I need to dig deeper.. I don't really like the ones with the little teeth that hold onto the device, I like the ones that are a little more flush or look more "permanent".

Next time I'll check I'll post some options I'm considering.
I am in the process of getting my car set up the way I want it. I just got it last month so I’ve been doing a lot of research and planning. Since I posted the tablet mount pictures I’ve also added a constant 12 volt power outlet to the side of my center console on the passenger side as well as a double USB / 12 volt outlet to the very back of my console for the rear seat passengers. The rear ports are powered only when the car is on. I was dismayed when I bought the car to find out it only had one accessory-only outlet in the whole car. I plan on adding another power outlet to the trunk area sometime soon.

I plan on routing the cord for the Garmin along the headliner and down the A pillar as you mentioned; I need to replace my windshield soon because the previous owner couldn’t be bothered with replacing the windshield wipers and over time they have permanently left fine scratches in my windshield. The wipers were dry rotted and when I removed them I noticed they were Lexus branded wipers - perhaps the original ones? Sadly my windshield is permanently etched as a result of that. I will wait until the new windshield is in before I route the cord the way you suggested.

One surprising result of the rear mounted USB ports / 12 volt power outlet is that my Garmin cord reaches all the way back there! I will leave it plugged in back there for now so I can close the OE power port cover. I also found an extremely flat audio aux cable off Amazon and routed it underneath through the console and it comes out on the passenger side. No need to have the cover open anymore! That always kind of bothered me and now it looks cleaner than having wires sticking out.

Before I got the supersized iPad 12.9 I was using an iPad Pro 10.5 inch and had a Tab-Tite HD tablet holder that I actually liked better, also from Ram Mounts. The Tab-Tite HD holds onto the tablet in a different way, resulting in a cleaner look. Unfortunately the new iPad is stupid big and won’t fit in it, hence the need to get the Tough Tray II. The whole Ram Mount setup was transferred from a previous car. As far as options that don’t involve clamping with teeth your options are limited. You can check out Havis products for a custom product for your needs, targeted towards public safety and utility professionals but the options will be more expensive. They will be flush fitting with docking port options. They support both Apple and Android devices and many others. On a more economical note It is possible to dash mount or window mount a tablet, check out the iOttie tablet mount. I prefer a lower mount out of the way of my vision however. I’ll include some pictures for reference.

It was a lot of work disassembling the console and routing the wires from the fuse box area but I am very happy with the result. Hope this helps you with ideas.

I cleaned as I went, there was all sorts of crud underneath and in the center console area.

Tapped into constant and accessory power behind the fuse box.

There is sound deadening fabric on the other side, I picked an open spot without it and it’s a perfect spot for my needs.

Back panel of the console pulls off easily, no screws, just clips. Drilled two holes for the double outlet.

New power outlet is down and out of the way, protected by the pole.

You can see the flat aux cord sticking out of the bottom of the console on the passenger side.

Now I can close the door for a cleaner look. Flat aux cable is indeed super flat.

Garmin 6 foot cord reaches all the way to the back and tucks out of the way nicely!

This is the old tablet holder for the iPad 10.5 inch. You can see how it’s modular and bolts into the ball Ram Mount.

My old tablet. I like how you can use a case with this holder. Ports and speakers are open and accessible on both side. The whole Ram Mount came out of my previous car.

Last edited by minh6710; 07-16-21 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Add notes to photos
The following users liked this post:
sqlboy2000 (07-18-21)
Old 07-26-21, 04:08 PM
LyLToKyo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a really good idea! I think I might feel a little crammed in the CT but I'll put it in my RX!