CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Tablet Addition?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-21, 09:51 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Tablet Addition?

Thinking of adding a tablet to the car in. Idea is this would be in place of a display audio/navigation.
2016 F-Sport non nav.

I can install wifi in the car for $10/mo and pick up a new open-box Samsung tablet for about $80. Thinking 8", maybe 10".

I like to check my commute, play music, and also typically am on the phone often while I'm driving. Mounting the phone and using it for all 3 has been troublesome lately.

Would also be nice to able to pull up Google maps when I need actual GPS/maps. Tablet would be of course GPS and wifi enabled.

Usually when I see this I think it looks a little tacky, but I think I can pull off a clean install. Mount on the dash (in the center) with bottom resting on the dash, route the cord so it's not just hanging about, and find a way to plug in that USB charger within the center console (also for a cleaner look).

Thoughts?
Old 07-06-21, 07:59 AM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Thinking of adding a tablet to the car in. Idea is this would be in place of a display audio/navigation.
2016 F-Sport non nav.

I can install wifi in the car for $10/mo and pick up a new open-box Samsung tablet for about $80. Thinking 8", maybe 10".

I like to check my commute, play music, and also typically am on the phone often while I'm driving. Mounting the phone and using it for all 3 has been troublesome lately.

Would also be nice to able to pull up Google maps when I need actual GPS/maps. Tablet would be of course GPS and wifi enabled.

Usually when I see this I think it looks a little tacky, but I think I can pull off a clean install. Mount on the dash (in the center) with bottom resting on the dash, route the cord so it's not just hanging about, and find a way to plug in that USB charger within the center console (also for a cleaner look).

Thoughts?
I've often thought about this as well, an iPad mini is about the perfect size and would enable every IOS app in your car on a nice big screen (relative to a phone).
Android would be a good and cheaper way to go as you've pointed out as well.
Please do this as I'd like to copy what you do, lol.
Old 07-06-21, 09:04 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Homer, do you have a hotspot through your cell plan? I have one (T-Mobile), and while it's limited to 40 gigs of 4G data, it goes to unlimited 3G data after that. It's included in my plan so I don't need a seperate WiFi plan.
Old 07-06-21, 09:44 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by Raidin
Homer, do you have a hotspot through your cell plan? I have one (T-Mobile), and while it's limited to 40 gigs of 4G data, it goes to unlimited 3G data after that. It's included in my plan so I don't need a seperate WiFi plan.
I have 5g Hotspot, totally forgot about that. The $10/mo was for much more, or unlimited (enough either way) through metro by t-mobile. It includes vehicle data.

I may get a mount and test with Hotspot and an existing tablet to check functionality.
The following users liked this post:
Raidin (07-08-21)
Old 07-06-21, 10:41 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I've thought about the iPad thing before but I dunno. ideally you'd want a pre-fabbed bezel so it looks good. It would drive me nuts with the tablet just sort of laying there.

As far as network goes..

You guys should try Mint Mobile (runs on Tmo). I pay about $25 a month for 15GB unlimited talk/text, pre paid. You can get more or less priced accordingly. i stream music while driving etc. no issues. http://fbuy.me/r0PX7 (my code) been using almost a year now. love it and never going back.

The following users liked this post:
Raidin (07-08-21)
Old 07-06-21, 12:10 PM
HOMER350
Racer

I should add the $10/mo Hotspot device is an OBDII which plugs in, receives signal for Hotspot, and then has features for vehicle data. I already have apps for any and all vehicle data via OBDII but the combo seemed cool. Idea also is to have my cell phone as little involved as possible.

Mint definitely looks good i just didn't want to pay 12mo up front for the best deal...I may though...I tried metro and there's there's many times when I service is SLOW.
Old 07-07-21, 08:00 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I wasn't confident about buying a whole year or even 6 months up front. ive been doing "3 mos" at a time to give it a test drive, then worked my way up to 6 mos. I just upgraded to 12 mos so i'm confident now. i even used to stream Tidal HiFi on it and it ran just fine. (extreme data hog)

Old 07-08-21, 08:26 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Homer, you should also look into Google Fi. They use all three carriers. Not sure if they offer a standalone hotspot though.
Old 07-08-21, 09:04 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Didn't know Google Fi was a thing. I read into it and it seems cool except using it for iOS is in beta and says you can't get 5G.. hmm lol. that's odd.
Old 07-08-21, 06:02 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Sucks to hear that. Oh well, was worth a shot.
Old 07-13-21, 12:06 AM
minh6710
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long time lurker, first time poster. Figured I’d put in my 2 cents. I have a setup similar to what you’re wanting, however it’s off to the side and down lower but it works great for me. Although it’s not made specifically for the CT it’s a universal bolt-to-the-front-passenger-seat type of mount and it’s easy to install, adjust and use. The tablet doesn’t wobble, vibrate or go anywhere. It’s a RAM mount with a Tough Tray II. Depending on your tablet you might be able to use different options but this works well for me and it extends and clamps on with spring tension. The mount is pretty universal, check out their website. I have the shorter pole and I might cut a few inches off it to make it a bit shorter in the future. It attaches to a ball mount that you can tighten down once you have the viewing angle adjusted to your liking. Pretty sturdy and I use the Apple Pencil to jot down notes on it all the time.

I am using an iPad Pro 3rd gen 12.9 inch screen, so about as big as they get with the apple keyboard folding up behind it. As far as data plan I have it added to my AT&T devices as a tablet and it has it’s own LTE radio and unlimited data. I have the audio / power plugged in and ran to the AUX input.

If you have any questions just ask.

Tabs on the bottom and sides hold my iPad securely. This is a large tablet and depending on the size of yours you may not need / want this specific tray, check out their website and you can “build” one.

You can tighten down this **** and lock everything in place once you get the angle to your liking. It can also pivot towards / away from you

Slides under the existing seat frame and you tighten it down with your seat bolt. Pole can be cut to length if you prefer shorter.
Old 07-13-21, 06:53 AM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

Damn I was thinking iPad mini, you went full on iPad pro!
Kind of like cop car in there, I like it!
Is that like a Garmin above the tablet you have there? Curious why between the factory nav and google maps.

Last edited by sqlboy2000; 07-13-21 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-13-21, 07:44 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

holy crap thats big. lol. should just go full on 32" LCD in there at that point.

that may attract thieves... or cops. also no passenger... and if you did.. an accident may give a whole new meaning to Facetime.
Old 07-13-21, 08:54 AM
minh6710
Driver School Candidate

I don’t like the factory NAV. It’s sluggish and I don’t believe there is any way to update it, unlike the Garmin, which also has a much better user interface. The Garmin can connect to WiFi so it is easy to take into the house and update. I have used google maps on the iPad and it’s pretty decent but in my opinion nothing beats a dedicated device like the Garmin which only has one job. The Garmin is also a dash cam. It is the Garmin DriveAssist 51 LMT which has been discontinued but you can still find on places like eBay.

It also doubles as an additional backup camera with the Garmin BC30 camera attached to the license plate.

Last edited by minh6710; 07-13-21 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Add photos
Old 07-13-21, 08:59 AM
minh6710
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
holy crap thats big. lol. should just go full on 32" LCD in there at that point.

that may attract thieves... or cops. also no passenger... and if you did.. an accident may give a whole new meaning to Facetime.
I haven’t had an issue like that, but my car is garaged every night. It’s also easy to remove the iPad, only takes two seconds to mount and remove. To my knowledge there is no legal difference around here as to having a phone on a mount or an iPad on a mount, no matter how big it is. I’ve actually had cops compliment me on the setup.

99.5% of the time I don’t have passengers, but I can see your point 😬

Quick Reply: Tablet Addition?