CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Small clear coat peel

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-21, 04:31 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Default Small clear coat peel

I just discovered a small bit of clearcoat peeling/flaking about the size of a quarter on the A pillar. I bought this car CPO but now I'm thinking it had paintwork done esp because the base coat seems a little glossy. It was just at the dealership for service last week and I never noticed it before. I'm planning to bring it back to have them look at it again. What's the chance they'll cover this? And if they don't how can I fix it?
Old 08-10-21, 06:56 AM
sqlboy2000
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
I just discovered a small bit of clearcoat peeling/flaking about the size of a quarter on the A pillar. I bought this car CPO but now I'm thinking it had paintwork done esp because the base coat seems a little glossy. It was just at the dealership for service last week and I never noticed it before. I'm planning to bring it back to have them look at it again. What's the chance they'll cover this? And if they don't how can I fix it?
A CPO car just means it was inspected and brought up to a certain "standard" a manufacturer establishes to certify a used car. It in no way means a car has never been in an accident or had repainted panels.
If it's 100% the paint that came from the factory you might have a small chance of getting them to repaint the A pillar. But it's almost impossible to rule out environmental damage or a rock chip or something.
Can't hurt to try though, good luck!
Old 08-10-21, 10:07 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Post a pic.
Old 08-10-21, 02:15 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Post a pic.
I went to the dealer and was quickly turned away. They said I'd have to go to the dealership I bought the car from (which is now 100 miles away) and now that it's been 3 years the chances of them doing anything are extremely slim. He said I could try to patch it myself which is exactly what I was thinking, by basically flaking off the loose bits, then taking some clear coat touch up paint to seal in the edges so it stops peeling any further. I don't feel like sanding and spraying would be good, since the area is so small and the layer under the clear coat is very glossy as you can see, almost like a clear coat itself.
Old 08-11-21, 07:31 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Yeah looks like someone cleared on clear. As recommended, flake off the edges with a tooth pick or something and lightly dab some new clear coat to seal it in. that's a practical solution to this. i wouldn't repaint the A pillar (and subsequently the doors, the hood, and the fender) over something like that. You can't just paint the pillar itself cause it'll have to blend into stuff adjacent to it. (for it to look proper) before you seal in the area, rough up the edges a bit with a tiny piece of sand paper so the clear sticks.

just dab it up and enjoy the car. you won't really notice it if you take your time in the dabbing.
The following users liked this post:
macmaster (08-11-21)