CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Advice on possibly buying a 2016 model

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-22, 12:08 PM
topherobin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on possibly buying a 2016 model

Hey everyone. Stumbled on a 2016 from Carmax, 117K for 19K. Lots of mileage which I can live with but came across this on the maintenance records. Doesn't look like it got fixed since it was owned by a second owner only from Jan 2022- Mar 2022.

What do y'all think on that 2016? Was shooting for 2014 onwards.

Otherwise, might get ahold of this 2013 for 10K, but it has 206k miles. https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...467394278.html
Per the owner:
The hybrid battery was replaced in June 2020, and the engine was full repair in February 2022, replace several parts (manifold assy, gasket kit, injector set, complete cylinder head job), shock absorbers and still have warranty of Lexus service for more than 10 months where the fixes got done
Thank you for your help.

Issue
Old 04-19-22, 08:12 AM
EcurieKS
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No one seems to have responded, so I'll take a crack at it.

The first sounds like a head gasket, not uncommon at 150K+ but a little early to have shown up at 100K. Makes one wonder "why?"

The second, if warranted by Lexus/Toyota, is interesting. All the rubber in the suspension would be suspect and other systems will be worn, fans and electronics. "Where it was done warranty," is a little worrisome as to whether it will be honored, do your due diligence.

Good luck, if you like little cars these are hard to beat.
The following users liked this post:
internalau (04-27-22)
Old 04-20-22, 04:53 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

This is one of those times that I would have to see the vehicles in person to make a judgment call. I do have family in DC but not up there right now to take a look. If someone told me to pick today without seeing either, I would pass and wait. I actually heeded advice on this very forum when I went to my 2016 CT (totalled, hit by someone) and then got a 2017. Both times I was very careful in the engine details and they were bought with 32k and 62k respectively on the mileage. I was willing to spend a bit more over just to be certain as the alternative CTs I was looking at had higher mileage but no real maintenance records. Both of the ones I bought were solid with Lexus on maintenance. After that, I took care of them on my own given I usually will keep vehicles for a long time whenever possible.
The following users liked this post:
internalau (04-27-22)
Old 04-20-22, 07:36 AM
EcurieKS
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexmex, you're reading my mail -- we still have an RX from 1999 (245K) and we're on our second CT200h, the first having been destroyed in an accident. The second CT is not in Nebula gray -- MazdaSpeed MSMX5 owners had a trope that the dusky gray ones were hard to see in some light and more prone to accidents. It is a lovely color but having been rear-ended in a work zone, we went with the pearl white on the second one (9,450 miles when we bought it). What color was the one you lost to an accident?

Topherobin: I think both of us are advising casting a wider net and having some professional advice to look the cars over. Anything but body damage (see above) is repairable, but if you aren't feeling comfortable judging mechanical faults, find a friend or professional mechanic who can do the evaluation for you. $200.+- for an inspection could save you much grief -- these "should be" among the most reliable cars you can buy, but they are now between 6-10 years old. Best of luck to you in your search.

The following 2 users liked this post by EcurieKS:
internalau (04-27-22), topherobin (04-20-22)
Old 04-20-22, 10:53 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

I don't get which car has the HG issue, from reading the post. I'd say normally get the 2014+ car. But in your case, avoid any car that has an unresolved HG/Head/Coolant ingestion issue. And if it HAD been resolved, make sure it has been driving a while with the repair in effect--in other words make sure a high quality repair was done.
The following 2 users liked this post by E46CT:
internalau (04-27-22), topherobin (04-20-22)
Old 04-24-22, 07:31 PM
topherobin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your feedback everyone! Was kinda weary with the two I considered, and ended up finding a 2014 with 78k. Alas, for 19k with the price of used cars right now but coming from a 2018 Volvo xc60 (that I loved), readjusting to the less tech but I know I'll enjoy the better mpg and cheaper fuel.

Thanks again for y'all input!
Old 04-27-22, 12:48 PM
internalau
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

My '12 CT200h bought from a friend in early 2020 does not seem to have the HG issue (coolant level constant) or the EGR valve (no shudder during cold startups or when moving/accelerating from a standstill). Even acceleration from standstill has been quiet smooth and I do try to accelerate slowly so the EV kicks in first before the engine does. It had 193,000 km and now has 214,000 km.

Not really sure the extend of the HG and EGR valve issue across the '12 or '13 CT200h but I'm sure it's not universal at least for owners who drive the car casually and not for really long distance commutes.

My friend did drive like an ahole because she lived in downtown Toronto and took it along longer distance commutes for work at one time. Not sure if that matters.

Last edited by internalau; 04-27-22 at 12:51 PM.