CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Suggestion for plug and play LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-22, 12:41 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Suggestion for plug and play LED headlights

Looking for suggestions for simple replacement for the halogen bulb with LEDs. Prefer no fan, always afraid hat it will malfunction get too hot and cause a fire. There are so may different brands and models available on Amazon that makes it confusing so would like some suggestions from those who've experience positive results from certain brand/model. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-22, 07:15 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts
Arrow

I'd stay away from plug in LEDS for headlights, they are junk... it's not going to be the same in the optics of the projector.. If you want better light output do it the proper way and either do a HID projector retrofit or a bi-led projector retrofit.

Think about how many millions of dollars manufactures spend on developing headlights and or how factory LED headlights are normally a four figure upgrade option. Buying $100 plug in LED bulbs thinking they are going to get you better lightout put isn't going to be the case.

A better solution is to use a h9 bulb in the h11 projector housing since it gives more light output and will not cause un-necessary glare for everyone else like the plug in leds will.

I'm going to be doing a rx350 bi-xenon projector retrofit shortly since I'm severly disappointed by the stock halogen headlights. Still wondering why lexus didn't have LEDS or bi-xenons as a defalt feature on their hybrid (energy efficient) vehicle.

EDIT: I was trying to be nice and not be too caustic... but, it really just needs to be said. If you buy LED plug in bulbs you are NOT getting brighter light at a distance and you are not improving your light output. More than likely you are glaring light everywhere. Keep in mind the halogen projector has squirrel spotters so now you are putting a bulb that was not meant to be in the projector that is throwing light out in a different way. Yes you can adjust the bulb but you are doing so in a non calculated way. You are doing it based on "looks" rather than actual measurements. Again... manufactures of the housing/bulbs have done this and spent TONS of money doing so. Your ebay/amazon LED bulbs are junk.. again read between the lines.
You can NOT compare OEM headlight design and engineering with Chinese made crappy LED bulbs . DO read the post that offroad200 posted below. It's EXTREMELY thorough in information. Most probably won't read it and just carry on and drop in crappy bulbs. Do it the proper way. Dropping in bulbs not meant for the projector is a half a$$ solution at best.

This is me tweaking my RX350 projector output. No plug in led bulb even comes close with the stock halogen projector housing.

Crisp sharp cutoff:

Look at that color banding:

-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 12-12-22 at 09:03 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by nigel821:
GJMD (08-26-22), KKM (08-27-22), offroad200 (08-08-22), RadiantX45 (12-26-22)
Old 08-07-22, 09:48 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I've been using Sealight with great success.

It APPEARS to be brighter, but doesn't actually throw more light down the road, when compared to a proper halogen.

FOr city driving, I wouldn't hesitate, unless you're out in the country, but then again, you'll be using highbeams likely in the event of little lighting.
Old 08-07-22, 07:04 PM
TobiasSing
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I used Morimoto 2stroke 3.0 in mine for a short while, but they use a fan. They were much better and brighter than the halogens in every way. But I only did that for about a week until I retrofitted out the projector lol. They even ended up being less glaring, because the orientation of the LEDs at 3:00 and 9:00 meant there was barely any light reaching into the "squirrel finder" above the cutoff, as you can see here. So it was worth it, but I put them in the fogs instead for a naughty increase in output.

The following 2 users liked this post by TobiasSing:
KKM (08-27-22), LoLexCT200 (08-09-22)
Old 08-08-22, 11:03 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
I'd stay away from plug in LEDS for headlights, they are junk... it's not going to be the same in the optics of the projector.. If you want better light output do it the proper way and either do a HID projector retrofit or a bi-led projector retrofit.

Think about how many millions of dollars manufactures spend on developing headlights and or how factory LED headlights are normally a four figure upgrade option. Buying $100 plug in LED bulbs thinking they are going to get you better lightout put isn't going to be the case.

I think a common thing that people do is use a h9 bulb in the h11 projector housing since it gives more light output.

I'm going to be doing a rx350 bi-xenon projector retrofit shortly since I'm severly disappointed by the stock halogen headlights. Still wondering why lexus didn't have LEDS or bi-xenons as a defalt feature on their hybrid (energy efficient) vehicle.

-Nigel
Exactly what this guy says. You can't just throw an LED bulb into a housing and projector meant for a halogen. There is a science to this stuff. Where the filament is in relation to the projector, the size of the filament, too much uplight, etc. All of these things matter.
You could do a proper retrofit but even then, I find most aftermarket retrofits questionable. Factory RX350 projectors and ballasts are the way to go. It all depend on how much you want to spend.

One of the best things you can do is use an H9 bulb. This is the route I took. Almost double the light for $20. You really don't even need to modify the bulb to fit. Just remove the green piece in the connector and it plugs right up. I would suggest using Phillips H9s.

If you really want to do the research, I would start here. It's about 3rd Gen Tacomas but those trucks also have projectors with an H11 low beam.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...lights.589465/
The following 3 users liked this post by offroad200:
GJMD (08-26-22), KKM (08-27-22), nigel821 (08-09-22)
Old 08-09-22, 11:46 AM
LoLexCT200
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default I have been using leds plug n play. (With Caution ⚠️)

Originally Posted by KKM
Looking for suggestions for simple replacement for the halogen bulb with LEDs. Prefer no fan, always afraid hat it will malfunction get too hot and cause a fire. There are so may different brands and models available on Amazon that makes it confusing so would like some suggestions from those who've experience positive results from certain brand/model. Thanks in advance.
i buy some ebay/amazon. Dont overpay I usually get 2 sets.19.99 -39.99. idk brand (ebay), but its has silver/grey housing. They are brighter than halogen. You’ll probably have to adjust the aim a little.afterinstall. Most have a universal plug. They are just as dependable as regular bulbs. Had LB bulb go out few years back. I been using leds since. I get 2sets for price of bulb at auto store. I just hate halogen color temp. I look into oem led headlamps. Its $$$$. If you just want get halogen bulbs but different color temp. 6500k. Clear white. Fyi the leds have fans cooling it when turn on. Annoying noise only to ct owner. Its kinda like engine fan sound.
The following users liked this post:
KKM (08-27-22)
Old 08-11-22, 03:21 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,660 Posts

For main headlights, I'd caution against throw-in pop-in LED bulbs which follow the format/size of the original bulb. If it were that simple to get adequate LED lighting in cars, manufacturers would do that from the factory instead of spending millions of dollars on r&d for completely new systems.

Good LED lights that are reliable and put out sufficient light (in its current tech state) needs large passive and sometimes active heat management. I mean large. You just aren't getting that with those plug in bulbs.

They pass for quick flash-to-pass high beam operations but to use something like that as your main lights while doing highway speeds in the rain at night, i wouldn't!
The following 3 users liked this post by E46CT:
GJMD (08-26-22), KKM (08-27-22), nigel821 (08-11-22)
Old 08-11-22, 10:18 PM
kentist
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used Katana ones to great success, you might have to re-aim your beams lower. Now i'm uisng these fanless ones.
Amazon Amazon
IMO these offer better night performance than halogens for me, I recently drove a loaner UX with the factory LEDs , I pesonally didn't feel it's a huge difference, they were slightly brighter/sharper lightbeam and aimed much higher from dealer/factory than how i keep my LEDs on the CT.
The following users liked this post:
KKM (08-27-22)
Old 08-26-22, 11:22 PM
GJMD
4th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Dangerous, ineffective and illegal.

Read....learn
The following 3 users liked this post by GJMD:
JRcanuck (01-16-24), KKM (08-27-22), nigel821 (12-12-22)
Old 08-27-22, 04:27 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey everyone, i appreciate the comments and suggestions posted here, looks like I will stick with finding a brighter halogen bulb and avoid the LED bulbs.
Old 08-27-22, 04:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,062 Likes on 2,574 Posts

It took me a few tries to find LEDs that work in my cars, but to say it is impossible you'll blind everyone etc. is not accurate.
Old 12-09-22, 08:46 PM
Andres7
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kentist
I've used Katana ones to great success, you might have to re-aim your beams lower. Now i'm uisng these fanless ones. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FFQGG9S
IMO these offer better night performance than halogens for me, I recently drove a loaner UX with the factory LEDs , I pesonally didn't feel it's a huge difference, they were slightly brighter/sharper lightbeam and aimed much higher from dealer/factory than how i keep my LEDs on the CT.
I used the
Hikari VisionPlus Hikari VisionPlus
on my 2014 F Sport, and we are much happier now, better light, not blinding anybody ( we adjusted the position) and we can see much better than with the ugly yellow hallogens.. just don't leave them on when the car is not moving, because the heat will make them not last as long.
Old 12-17-22, 08:45 AM
JapanBuick
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I second the opinion of don't buy LED's and put them into your projector housings. They are not a mated pair and are not designed for one another.

Personally I threw in some Silverstar Ultra bulbs, and they work very well. The only thing I might do differently is get regular Silverstar's next time, and not the Ultra's based on how many hours you get out of each (Ultra's die faster from tests I've read about) ....

I don't do a ton of night driving, anyway, so they'll probably last me a good while.

You can read reviews on bulbfacts.com and go with whatever halogen upgrade you desire. A good halogen bulb in a well-designed housing should work very well. Obviosuly not "as well" as HID's or modern LED headlamps, but certainly "good enough" to get the job done without attempting a potentially hazardous modification, or putting yourself in a situation where the light "appears" to look brighter/whiter, but sucks for down-road visibility.
Old 12-17-22, 09:33 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,062 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Originally Posted by JapanBuick
I second the opinion of don't buy LED's and put them into your projector housings. They are not a mated pair and are not designed for one another.
This is outdated information. LEDs have advanced dramatically in the last 5 years there are many good options that work in both reflector and projector housings. I just put LEDs into a 2016 Altima with projectors, 3x the light output excellent beam pattern.

Far far safer than the awful halogen bulbs.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
Andres7 (12-17-22), jgscott (12-17-22)
Old 12-17-22, 10:44 AM
JapanBuick
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This is outdated information. LEDs have advanced dramatically in the last 5 years there are many good options that work in both reflector and projector housings. I just put LEDs into a 2016 Altima with projectors, 3x the light output excellent beam pattern.

Far far safer than the awful halogen bulbs.
I agree to a point. I think there's definitely some exceptions, based on what I've read about this. Some have found the right LED's that actually do work well, and outperform or are equal to a good halogen.

If you want to do the homework and figure out which ones work best in your housing, I think it may be worthwhile. I personally erred on the side of caution and didn't want to put in the effort, so I went with Halogen. Maybe LED's are easier to figure out now, since the market is getting more mature.

Quick Reply: Suggestion for plug and play LED headlights