Drag Strip Discussion about Lexus straight line racing on the 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile and top speed flats.

The best 0-60 and 1/4 mile gadget?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 12:51 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default The best 0-60 and 1/4 mile gadget?

There isn't too many drag strips around here on Long Island so I ask you guys if there is a pretty accurate gadget out there that measures street performance?
Old 11-24-08, 02:44 PM
VEGAS DRE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive heard of various people using g-tech (www.gtechpro.com) which is pretty accurate for 0-60 and 1/4 mile times ! most people that i know that have used them or have them say theyre either dead on or within 2 tenths off ! and they dont cost that much !
Old 11-24-08, 06:36 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VEGAS DRE
ive heard of various people using g-tech (www.gtechpro.com) which is pretty accurate for 0-60 and 1/4 mile times ! most people that i know that have used them or have them say theyre either dead on or within 2 tenths off ! and they dont cost that much !
ive actually heard the opposite on the gtech, i heard it wasn't really super accurate for what it costs. Haha hey, worse comes to worst theres a $15 iphone app that does it using the iphone's accelerometer and GPS. I forget what it's called but search youtube for iphone dyno app or something like that.
Old 11-25-08, 05:28 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
ive actually heard the opposite on the gtech, i heard it wasn't really super accurate for what it costs. Haha hey, worse comes to worst theres a $15 iphone app that does it using the iphone's accelerometer and GPS. I forget what it's called but search youtube for iphone dyno app or something like that.
lol...first I have to buy a new iphone then I guess. Thanks for the suggestions guys; maybe I'll look for a used g-tech.
Old 11-25-08, 08:46 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought the GTech Pro Competition model when it first came out for $300. This is essentially the same as their current RR model also $300. Their SS model is cheaper but does not support the download software or some of the measurements.

I actually had it in my car at the track the night I ran my sig numbers. It showed 13.9 @ 104mph. It also showed consistent low 5 second 0-60. Even though it was optimistic it was consistent which made it a great tool.

GTech then upgraded the software with a free download that corrected the numbers. Since then it seems to be very accurate.

Do not confuse the new units with the original GTech. These have 3 accelerometers vs. one and display tons of info on the lighted lcd screen as well as download to your computer for full screen and even more information. I love mine.

Old 11-25-08, 08:51 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Iphone vs G-tech

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0-DFbJQbeSY
Old 11-25-08, 09:51 AM
VEGAS DRE
Driver

I think i'd trust the g-tech over a cell phone ! like JBRADY said it was only a couple tenths off his actual time ! and i heard the same from more than a hand full of people ! Aquanuke thats a sickazz sc love the red calipers and RIMS !
Old 11-25-08, 10:01 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

start at post 11..... or 12.....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=iphone

i talked bout this the other day. only thing i hear about this thing is its really inaccurate! keep in mind this is just what i heard, i dunno the truth bout either!

Aquanuke thats a sickazz sc love the red calipers and RIMS !
yeah his BBK is SICKKKKKKKKKKK

Last edited by sakataj; 11-25-08 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-25-08, 01:29 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Cheers VEGAS DRE

I have dynolicous and it works great imo just you have to keep the thing real still and perfect your use of it through trial and error.

TBH an iphone is just a mini mac, so whats in it is pretty advanced. But either way both do the same job and TBH you will be comparing it on runs with itself which will give you a pretty good results through adding/removing mods.

The iphone is imo a much better gadget then a phone
Old 11-25-08, 02:44 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

within 2 tenths off!
only a couple tenths off!
I don't know if you realize this, but 2 tenths is a lot.
Old 11-25-08, 03:22 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
I don't know if you realize this, but 2 tenths is a lot.
You could easily get that variation from two dynos.
Old 11-25-08, 05:07 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aquanuke
You could easily get that variation from two dynos.
Yeah, There are a lot of variables to consider on dynos.
But 2 tenths of a second are still 2 tenths. That's like saying trimming 200lbs from the GS is not much, yeah right! That's the difference between a 10sec car and a 11sec car, etc...

If you use it to get a ball park number, then no problem, but don't claim 2 tenths is not much because trust me it is. That would change Jbrady's top ET from 13.9 to 14.1, no body wants that.
Old 11-25-08, 07:00 PM
VEGAS DRE
Driver

well its just a low budget gadget ! and for something so simple and easy to get a pretty accurate starting point ! i think its worth it ! and the guy doesnt have a race track near him ! thats why he asked for such a gadget! so if i didnt have a track here in vegas it would be ideal to own a g-tech to use it for what he's asking ! he doesnt have a top fuel car ! so if its at the most 2 tenths off for a owner of a car thats not doing bracket racing ! and 13.9 and 14.1 isnt that much of a difference ! and i've owned a couple low 12 sec cars and astrovan that ran faster than that low 12 sec car ! and remember he has a gs 400 with a stock motor with bolt ons ! not a 2009 zr-1 !

Last edited by VEGAS DRE; 11-25-08 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-26-08, 03:38 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

well its just a low budget gadget
Yes, you are right.
Originally Posted by GS FONZy
If you use it to get a ball park number, then no problem
I can't belive for some one that claims to be a racer, 2 tenths of a second don't matter

2 tenths = shaving 200lbs (aprox.)
2 tenths = additional 30hp (aprox.)

JeffTsai would have loved to dropped 2 tenths on his runs at the track.
Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Went to the drag strip yesterday. Very disappointing. For the life of me I couldn't break into the 12's lol. I tried several times all night and I was just getting consistant 13.0xx.

What does this even mean?
remember he has a gs 400 with a stock motor with bolt ons ! not a 2009 zr-1
Because he has a slower car, who cares if he gets incorrect information/dial-ins

BTW, exclamation marks ! are not substitutes for commas and periods.
Old 11-27-08, 01:35 AM
VEGAS DRE
Driver

Rock a lex ! Hey bro you ask for a simple answer ! And I gave you my positive opinion ! I hope that helps you with your decision. But there's always someone on CL to try to prove every reply wrong with negative input. I won't speak my thoughts on that person cause thay have 1,000,000 more post than me and you put together and I'll get another warning from the CL modsfor speaking my mind to them ! But I can say this ! I've owned cars that have ran faster than 12's without 1,000,000 post !

Quick Reply: The best 0-60 and 1/4 mile gadget?