Drag Strip Discussion about Lexus straight line racing on the 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile and top speed flats.

track night with sc300 2jzgte very dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-11, 10:03 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by preston145
Ill do it guys this is all a lot to take in and opinions all sound good! I'm really use to my lsx series engines and t56. Those are so easy to run. My clutchsetup is a act extreme Pp. And it grabs immediately. Off the line it just bogs bad tho. First gear isn't even usable. I hit redline immediately with no boost built. 2nd comes on strong but I have to shift just when she feels likes angry *** bunny. Shifting to third I'm its back to a bit of lag. I really didn't want a true crazy fast 1/4 mile car. I love the highway and highway pulls though I keep it safe. But I wanna beable to compete. On the highway 3rd and 4th are my money gears but I top out 4th at like 100 I believe.

My rims are 18" work vs kf 3 piece wheels. They are maddd heavy. I still have a bit of tuning to do as well though she comes on strong and air fuel is safe. How did you guys setup your 2step? I never has a clutch pedal sensor as the car was auto. But again I wouldn't dare launch her in this rear. Is this r154 even safe to do. I had krawlerforks installed when I did clutch. I'm just dissapointed as I blew the doors off my dads ta that runs 10.98 quarters on a highway roll. I'd be embarrassed on the strip next to half the Honda's around here. But I don't wanna be that Guy who's like lets take it to the highway. I'm really thinking about selling this car and starting all over.
Sounds to me that your gears are too tall, causing the lack of load to spool the turbo in lower gears. You say it doesn't hit any boost in 1st, barely hits in 2nd, and 3rd and 4th are your best gears. I would lower the gear ratio, and maybe step down to something alittle less laggy. The 1/8th mile is all about the launch, and 60ft, I bet your car was barely opening up until the end of 3rd.
Old 09-13-11, 07:30 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Sounds to me that your gears are too tall, causing the lack of load to spool the turbo in lower gears. You say it doesn't hit any boost in 1st, barely hits in 2nd, and 3rd and 4th are your best gears. I would lower the gear ratio, and maybe step down to something alittle less laggy. The 1/8th mile is all about the launch, and 60ft, I bet your car was barely opening up until the end of 3rd.
If he is topping out 4th at 100mph, I personally would not lower the gear ratio..
Old 09-13-11, 07:44 PM
preston145
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea she opens up in third and loves all of 4th. Again I Have to trash the diff. I honestly thought the aggressive gearing would
play in my favor in the 1/8th.
Guess I was wrong. LSD some stickies and less aggressive gearing should yield better results. I'm not sure what my power level is guys. 93 pump gas 17 paid. Masterpower t70 98.ar full 3" exhaust big intercooler r154. Your basic supra I would suppose
Old 09-13-11, 07:56 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
Everyone in here is wrong.

2.3 60's are what is killing you.

Get the diff to turn both wheels, and get real tires. Voilah.

You spent too much time and money on the HP, you forgot to support that horsepower with suspension, diff, etc.

Btw a 7 in the 1/8th is like an 11 in the 1/4, get that thing to hook up!
this man knows his drag racing. everything starts with the first 60ft and so should your improvements. launch, tire compound, tire size, gearing as well as suspension.

the 1/4 mile is a cruel mistress, but one that can be tamed (lol sorry felt cool saying that!)
Old 09-13-11, 08:39 PM
preston145
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That did sound cool. I've been drag racing for a few years now. I know its all about the 60ft.but even ten the power this car makes up top I still hoped for a much better time and MPH. I didn't want to launch it on the street tires and diff. Just wanted a nice easy start and let her rip. Ill figure it out I hope.
Old 09-13-11, 08:53 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your street tires will handle a little bit of a launch but leaving off idle your leaving all the potential boost energy to waste. try slipping the clutch in order to not spin the tires with a launch. but realize that taking your car to the track will cause stress and possible failure. i have a deicated car to take to the track and beat up and i launch at 5500 rpms and side step the clutch on a 28in tall slick, it bogs slightly and then pulls like a raped ape. off topic, but i have been driving the car for 2 and a half years learning new things it likes and doesnt all the time. it takes paitence and time but you will get the hang of it