ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need help with key fob programming for 1997 Lexus ES300

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-23, 11:03 AM
MikyD
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with key fob programming for 1997 Lexus ES300

I reached out for help to program a key fob for 1997 Lexus ES300 because all the threads I found did not help, but a moderator would not allow forums members to see my question because of some arcane rule that new members need to have a number of activities before they are allowed on the forum. I am not sure I understand all that. If I am not allowed to ask question, how do I qualitfy to ask questions - die on the cross again?

Below is my issues and I still need answers.

I have an old fob that is partially working for my old 1997 Lexus ES300. The unlock and trunk buttons stopped working and I bought a fob from (Keyless Entry Remote Fob Compatible with Lexus 1995 1996 1997 4B FCC# ID HYQWDT-C × 1).

I have tried all the instructions but cannot get pass the #
8. Locks should cycle once (Car will lock and then unlock once).
When I turn the key to the on position twice, the Locks cycle twice which indicate there are two keys.

Question: Does that mean there are two key fobs programmed for the car or is it counting the actual key as well(I bought the car with only one fob).

One of the instruction thread indicates that it iuf you turn the key to on position three times, it will deactivate all programmed keys.

Question: Does that mean I can program the new fob after deactivating all programmed keys? Will it affect my ability to open the door manually with a key and start the car if I am not successful after deactivation all programmed keys?
Old 05-01-23, 07:01 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Hello,

Here is an Owners Manual for your car. FCC ID: HYQ1512 P

More likely than not, the aftermarket Fob you got from an unknown party is defective in some way, refusing to communicate with the car, which is a pretty common occurrence, especially with cheaper fobs. Easiest option in my opinion would be to try finding a used OEM on eBay for your specific FCC ID and reusing the case from your new aftermarket fob.

Originally Posted by MikyD
Question: Does that mean there are two key fobs programmed for the car or is it counting the actual key as well(I bought the car with only one fob).
No, it means that the car came with 2 Fobs from the factory, and one got lost to time.

One of the instruction thread indicates that it iuf you turn the key to on position three times, it will deactivate all programmed keys.
Question: Does that mean I can program the new fob after deactivating all programmed keys? Will it affect my ability to open the door manually with a key and start the car if I am not successful after deactivation all programmed keys?
It doesn't deactivate anything, it completely erases all the stored ID numbers, so even if your old fob is still working, it won't after you do it. There is really no point for doing this, other than if you are concerned that someone may come to you with that missing fob and get in your car at dead of night, even when you reach the limit of fobs that the car is capable of storing at a time (3 or 4 fobs if I remember correctly), it will replace the oldest ID number automatically.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 05-01-23, 09:19 PM
MikyD
5th Gear

Thanks so much for the response. I will look for a used fob in ebay. By the way, I turned the key to on position three times and it did not erase the stored ID numbers. My half working key fob is still active.
Old 05-01-23, 10:01 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

I turned the key to on position three times and it did not erase the stored ID numbers. My half working key fob is still active.
Hmm, probably because turning the key 3 times sets Confirmation Mode, used to see how many Fobs are stored in the system, not Prohibition Mode that erases the Fobs, to access that, you need to turn the key 5 times instead of 3, so you may consider yourself lucky..

Here you can find more information on different programming modes.

Old 05-04-23, 05:27 PM
HectorC137
2nd gear

Default 1997 Toyota Crown Royal Saloon

Any chance that anyone here could help with getting the all in one key and fob for a JZS151 Toyota crown to work? I put a new battery in but it didn't seem to make a difference. Was advised on Facebook to ask here but also I am new and couldn't message @Yamae directly which they said to. Anyone who may have some insight on how to get the key to work would be fantastic, sorry for high jacking another thread.
Old 05-04-23, 08:11 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Hmm, that would be a little more tricky.

How did the issue first begin?
Do all the door locks operate as expected?
Did the integrated fob ever work in the first place?

Fobs rarely go wrong, even integrated ones, the most that can usually happen is if they were drowned at some point, or if the switch got fatigued. It should be relatively easy to access the switch on the side of the Key, see if you can short its Pins to tell if that's the Switch, or the Fob that failed. To be able to assist any further, some more information is needed, some pictures will be appreciated as well.

Contrary to FCC, or Federal Communications Committee, Japan has different Wireless Communication regulations, so Frequencies and IDs can be completely different, the chance that you will be able to simply pick up any Fob and make it work with your Crown is pretty low. With that, the programming procedure should be very similar, it's just that you will have to go to places like Buyee and find a compatible key there.

Old 05-04-23, 09:17 PM
Yamae

Received 883 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by HectorC137
Any chance that anyone here could help with getting the all in one key and fob for a JZS151 Toyota crown to work? I put a new battery in but it didn't seem to make a difference. Was advised on Facebook to ask here but also I am new and couldn't message @Yamae directly which they said to. Anyone who may have some insight on how to get the key to work would be fantastic, sorry for high jacking another thread.
Have you tried this?
Japanese original.
Google translation.

Here in Japan, the FCC regulation is not applied and we need to follow Japanese radio regulation. Fortunately the band frequency (about 315MHz) is the same with your system but the transmitting power is quite limited and the radio wave doesn't travel far enough compared with yours. But it should work as far as you are within a several feet from the car. You can find the detail of the system here.
Old 05-05-23, 06:53 AM
HectorC137
2nd gear

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hmm, that would be a little more tricky.

How did the issue first begin?
Do all the door locks operate as expected?
Did the integrated fob ever work in the first place?

Fobs rarely go wrong, even integrated ones, the most that can usually happen is if they were drowned at some point, or if the switch got fatigued. It should be relatively easy to access the switch on the side of the Key, see if you can short its Pins to tell if that's the Switch, or the Fob that failed. To be able to assist any further, some more information is needed, some pictures will be appreciated as well.

Contrary to FCC, or Federal Communications Committee, Japan has different Wireless Communication regulations, so Frequencies and IDs can be completely different, the chance that you will be able to simply pick up any Fob and make it work with your Crown is pretty low. With that, the programming procedure should be very similar, it's just that you will have to go to places like Buyee and find a compatible key there.

Hello thanks for the reply! The key has never worked since it arrived to the US. Came with two keys, one basic and this one. I tried doing the procedure @Yamae mentioned below but it seems like it won't even go into any programming mode. The lock and unlock button works perfectly fine on the door, and inserting the key into the driver's side door and turning left or right locks and unlocks the doors all together.

​​
Old 05-05-23, 07:31 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Make sure that the battery terminals actually touch the battery.

There may be an Indicator Light on the somewhere on the key, do you see it flashing when you press the button? If not, it may indicate that there is a problem with the Key itself, or there is no light, if it does flash, it could be that it's simply not programmed into the system.

The programming procedure that Yamae shared looks very similar to the one for US cars, so you may as well try the procedure described here. Instead of going into the Programming Mode, try entering Confirmation mode that will show how many fobs are stored in the system.