ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Tranny Lifespan/Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-03, 09:55 PM
Lex3486
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tranny Lifespan/Issues

How long can someone expect the tranny on a 93 ES to last? I've heard of people gettin em replaced as early as 120 or 130k, but then again, I've heard of people w/well over 200k on their ES and no mention of transmission issues. I've had a 92 ES in the past w/145k on it and it never really had any problems, save a slight lack of smoothness, but it was an 11 year old car. Reason I'm askin is that I'm havin some problems with my car right now (93 ES) that seem like they might be because of the tranny and the car's only got 130k on it..It's almost to the point where I'm in fear of the car's reliability, and I really don't like that feelin..
Old 11-01-03, 05:56 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

You may have already done this, but have you had your tranny fluid checked recently? Generally from my understanding the ES transmissions last a long time as long as you keep up with preventive maintenance of all fluids and belt inspections. Of course the older the car is, the less "smooth" it feels; there's no way out of this. It sounds like you might have to get your transmission rebuilt or replaced, which is a hefty expense (at least $1 to $2K).
Old 11-01-03, 06:12 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I know someone that bought a 92 ES with 190 and had to replace it at 192. Other results may vary
Old 11-02-03, 09:59 AM
Lex3486
Rookie

Well, since the other night when I posted that, the car's been actin alot better. I don't know what it's problem was, but it seems to be alright now. The fluid appears to be at a fine level, if not slightly over the full mark on hot. I haven't, however, ever changed it or the filter (I hear there's a filter but don't know if it's a permanent mesh one you just clean or a filter like an oil filter sorta deal; any help on that would be appreciated) so it probably wouldn't hurt to change that.
Old 11-02-03, 10:31 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the fuel was contaminated with water that made your car run poorly and the fuel filters can't be cleaned....change it for a new one.
Old 11-02-03, 05:11 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Lex3486
Well, since the other night when I posted that, the car's been actin alot better. I don't know what it's problem was, but it seems to be alright now. The fluid appears to be at a fine level, if not slightly over the full mark on hot. I haven't, however, ever changed it or the filter (I hear there's a filter but don't know if it's a permanent mesh one you just clean or a filter like an oil filter sorta deal; any help on that would be appreciated) so it probably wouldn't hurt to change that.
What's the color of the fluid like? You said that you have never changed the tranny fluid, so over time it will most likely transform from the fresh red color to a dark grey hue. This is a result of the amount of dirt and metal particles picked up within the fluid, and dirt contamination is one of the transmission's worst enemies. Some people say changing the tranny fluid is like changing your oil, but the MO is different. I usually let the dealership change the tranny fluid on my ES whenever it needs one, and that's not on a frequent basis. Most people say the fluid should be changed once every 2 years, or every 30K miles, whichever comes first.
Old 11-03-03, 08:46 PM
Lex3486
Rookie

It's actually about the color of my oil; little to no red tint in it, and the slightest hint of a burnt smell...time to change it I'm sure. It's started actin up again tonight; as I said earlier, it was good for a day or two, but it did it again some today. I'm pretty sure that my problem which prompted me to post this thread isn't transmission related, although the tranny is no perfect angel; it has mood swings, it would seem. But my main concern right now is with the hesitation, and I'm tryin to find any other possible cause before I point fingers at the tranny...the only thing that I'd say that the tranny could be doin wrong in this particular case is somehow causin the motor to "bog down" when it's tryin to accelerate in first gear, b/c that's basically what happens. And at the most incovenient moments too, I might add. Check out my other thread titled "hesitation problem" and see what you think; sound like a tranny problem to you?? I'm startin to think not..
Old 11-04-03, 05:21 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Default Spark plugs

Originally posted by Lex3486
But my main concern right now is with the hesitation, and I'm tryin to find any other possible cause before I point fingers at the tranny...the only thing that I'd say that the tranny could be doin wrong in this particular case is somehow causin the motor to "bog down" when it's tryin to accelerate in first gear, b/c that's basically what happens. And at the most incovenient moments too, I might add. Check out my other thread titled "hesitation problem" and see what you think; sound like a tranny problem to you?? I'm startin to think not..
Have you checked spark plugs? That could be another factor to the "hesitation" of the engine usually seen in aging vehicles. The plugs probably need some changing if they have never been replaced, and they should be done every 60K miles.
Old 11-04-03, 06:31 AM
Lex3486
Rookie

Yeah, I replaced the plugs with Bosch Platinum 4 plugs shortly after I got the car; mostly for safe measure, but partly b/c it had a bit of an occasional miss, but since then doesn't seem to be any problems with the plugs that I know of..could it be that the plugs, being that they have 4 contacts rather than one, are causing some sorta problem with my ignition system, like maybe it doesn't have enough juice to power them all?? I had these same plugs in my 92 right before I got rid of it and it ran fine..shifted pretty well too. Keep the suggestions comin though!! I need all the help I can get!! I'm thinkin if I don't figure it out in the next couple days then I'll just take it into Lexus and maybe get a mechanic to drive it or ride with me in it and see if they can tell me what's wrong with it (if they'll do that without me lettin them fix it, b/c I can't afford their parts and labor.)

Last edited by Lex3486; 11-04-03 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-04-03, 01:41 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it wouldn't be a matter of "firing them all" because all four prongs don't fire. Only one fires. Electricity will follow the path of least resistance. The idea behind the +4 plug is to give multiple routes for the spark to travel. In a conventional plug, if one prong fouls then one plug does not fire efficiently.

The four prongs or the dual prongs theoretically end up in less "no fire" situatations. I agree with lexusk8, what does each plug look like? You may have one "wet" one. Or you may have a coil that is starting to go. Pull the front plugs at least to see the burn color.

steviej
Old 11-04-03, 03:00 PM
Lex3486
Rookie

I don't know; I'm not exactly willing to go to all the trouble of gettin to the rear ones when I just replaced them only about 3000 miles ago.. And I'd surely think that if my coil was goin bad then the car would run bad all the time rather than just occasionally..it runs perfect when in neutral or park. I might check the front ones tonight if I get a chance. If so, I'll let everyone know what color they are.

Last edited by Lex3486; 11-04-03 at 03:01 PM.