ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

05 es330 starter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-23, 10:22 PM
Trashpc
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 es330 starter?

Hello everyone,
this started months ago although it stopped so I didn’t get to fix it.
From time to time my car won’t crank, although everything like the dash and radio will turn on even the AC. It happens randomly mostly but I noticed mainly when I turn the car off for about 5 minutes then attempt is when it occurs. I hear a click I was wondering if it could be my starter?

I also had an issue with my camshaft position sensor and I changed one of them months ago, although it turns out there’s two of them but one is hard to access and honestly I don’t know exactly where it’s at so I haven’t attempted. This issue started around the time my car stopped turning on randomly.

I understand I’m going two different directions, just asking what are good tips to check if it’s the starter and if its the position sensor if someone knows where the one for the bank in the back is?
Old 07-24-23, 10:25 PM
Trashpc
7th Gear

One thing to note I also found this, I received this code when my position sensor went out.
Old 07-25-23, 11:23 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Hello,

One trick to check if the starter is at fault was to hit it with the hammer while the key is in the Start position, vibration may jolt all the dust from the brushes and clogged bearings, as well as restoring lost contact, causing the starter to spin, if that's your case, you will need a new starter. You can also take it apart and look inside to make sure that it is the fault.

As for the Camshaft sensor, those tend to be quite robust, and it appears that you did replace the right one as Bank to is closer to the Radiator on that car. It may be that you are affected by the TSB you listed, and you may have to look for a new ECU, which shouldn't be too expensive for those cars. Try resetting the code by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see what happens..

Hope thus helps and best of luck!
Old 08-07-23, 12:23 PM
Trashpc
7th Gear

Default Hello, thanks for the reply and I actually took the car to the Lexus dealership and t

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

One trick to check if the starter is at fault was to hit it with the hammer while the key is in the Start position, vibration may jolt all the dust from the brushes and clogged bearings, as well as restoring lost contact, causing the starter to spin, if that's your case, you will need a new starter. You can also take it apart and look inside to make sure that it is the fault.

As for the Camshaft sensor, those tend to be quite robust, and it appears that you did replace the right one as Bank to is closer to the Radiator on that car. It may be that you are affected by the TSB you listed, and you may have to look for a new ECU, which shouldn't be too expensive for those cars. Try resetting the code by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see what happens..

Hope thus helps and best of luck!
hello I took the car to the Lexus dealership and it was just the battery, turns out my battery was almost dying so it would cause the those codes to trip and make me believe my sensors were going out. A huge relief that it was just the battery although I’ll still monitor Incase it might be something else