ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2003 es300 aftermarket deck install weak sound issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-23, 05:30 PM
Tr3yster
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 es300 aftermarket deck install weak sound issue

I recently installed a Sony XAV-AX1000 aftermarket stereo, and I researched all the forums telling me to bypass the factory pioneer amp; however, after connecting from the head unit to the speakers I have weak sound - meaning that I can barely hear through the speakers when the volume is turned all the way up on the head unit. Any suggestions out there??
Also.. the amp I have only has 2 connectors where all the examples I have seen have three.

and the colors don't match.

Last edited by Tr3yster; 09-12-23 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-03-23, 07:23 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Hello,

Check if your new radio has an Internal Amplifier. The reason to bypass the factory amp with an aftermarket radio is because they don't usually tend to work together, but it doesn't mean that you don't need one. Most of the aftermarket radios, especially cheaper ones, will have some kind of amplifier built into them, but as you go higher in quality, it is expected that you will have your own amplifier to go along with a new radio, which can be the cause behind the weak sound that you have.

If you are not ready to get an aftermarket amplifier, before looking for a replacement head unit, try reconnecting the factory amplifier and see what happens, you will likely get a lot of static and distortion, but it's not like there is much to loose frankly..

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 08-03-23, 10:42 PM
Tr3yster
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

Check if your new radio has an Internal Amplifier. The reason to bypass the factory amp with an aftermarket radio is because they don't usually tend to work together, but it doesn't mean that you don't need one. Most of the aftermarket radios, especially cheaper ones, will have some kind of amplifier built into them, but as you go higher in quality, it is expected that you will have your own amplifier to go along with a new radio, which can be the cause behind the weak sound that you have.

If you are not ready to get an aftermarket amplifier, before looking for a replacement head unit, try reconnecting the factory amplifier and see what happens, you will likely get a lot of static and distortion, but it's not like there is much to loose frankly..

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Thank you for your guidance. I actually have the factory amp still in play. Im wondering if it the amp that has gone out? I plan on getting an aftermarket amp as well.
Old 08-03-23, 11:19 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

You are feeding line out into the factory amp? If so that is likely your problem I've found the amps in these cars need very high voltage, more than any aftermarket head unit supplies.
The following users liked this post:
Tr3yster (08-05-23)
Old 08-05-23, 02:58 AM
Tr3yster
8th Gear

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You are feeding line out into the factory amp? If so that is likely your problem I've found the amps in these cars need very high voltage, more than any aftermarket head unit supplies.
That is good to know, because that tid bit of information was nowhere to be found. Is that just one of those things you're supposed to know? lol
Old 08-05-23, 12:48 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by Tr3yster
Is that just one of those things you're supposed to know? lol
Definitely not I found out by experimenting. Disclaimer: have not tried it on your particular sound system but on other Lexus/Toyota models they all had the same result. Low volume.

If you want good sound have to spend around $500 on a 5-channel amp, brands like Morel, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate. I've never tried JL Audio.