ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2003 ES300 check engine light and engine vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-23, 12:12 AM
SixString7
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2003 ES300 check engine light and engine vibrations

Hello everyone I was hoping to get some advice on this issue that has just taken hold of my beloved vehicle. It was driving fine until yesterday when the check engine light came on and on the way home the engine began produce some extra noise, like a vibration that you can hear from inside the car, when I gave it some gas while driving. Theres also a new audible clunking noise when given a bit of gas while already in motion. These noises DO NOT happen while in park or nuetral or even reverse. Only when in drive. They sound like they are coming from directly behind the middle of the dashboard, behind the air vents. The rattle noise is most prominent when starting from a stop and it begins around 2k rpm, its very subtle but its new and I noticed it right after the engine light came on.

Error code was checked at an auto store the next day and it came back as thermostat stuck closed or open, didnt get the specifications. Could a bad thermostat be causing issues like this? It almost feels like a motor mount is toast but its only happening in drive. I had a friend check it out and they thought it might be the cv axle going out, auto part store says that symptoms could be caused by the bad thermostat. Going to replace it asap and see if it doesnt help. Any advice? I really want to take care of this car
Old 08-07-23, 08:20 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Hello,

Very hard to tell without knowing the specific code that you were given. Those cars don't have a code specifically for a Thermostat failure, what you likely got is P0125 - Insufficient coolant temperature for Closed Loop Control. A lot of people take it as a Thermostat failure, while in reality, this code comes up when something is preventing the ECU from going into a Closed Loop control, aka working completely off of Sensor data and not relying on predefined charts, here you can learn more about it.

Usually this code is caused by A/F sensor failure, which can be tricky to spot without the proper scan tool, here is a thread on how to check it.

As for the vibration, it can be caused by that code, so I would get it sorted before proceeding. It depends on what mileage the car has as well, since motor mounts, just like any other rubber piece, have a finite lifespan, even though they are made by Toyota, the only way to check them that Iknow of is to inspect them visually and try prying on the engine to see how far they move, then go from there.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
Lexanna (08-07-23)
Old 08-07-23, 05:24 PM
SixString7
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

Very hard to tell without knowing the specific code that you were given. Those cars don't have a code specifically for a Thermostat failure, what you likely got is P0125 - Insufficient coolant temperature for Closed Loop Control. A lot of people take it as a Thermostat failure, while in reality, this code comes up when something is preventing the ECU from going into a Closed Loop control, aka working completely off of Sensor data and not relying on predefined charts, here you can learn more about it.

Usually this code is caused by A/F sensor failure, which can be tricky to spot without the proper scan tool, here is a thread on how to check it.

As for the vibration, it can be caused by that code, so I would get it sorted before proceeding. It depends on what mileage the car has as well, since motor mounts, just like any other rubber piece, have a finite lifespan, even though they are made by Toyota, the only way to check them that Iknow of is to inspect them visually and try prying on the engine to see how far they move, then go from there.

Its actually code P0128. I had the code cleared and Im observing to see how the car reacts. It seemed to have less rattle after the code was cleared, but the heater is not working and its starting to seem like the thermostat is the issue
Old 08-07-23, 06:14 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by SixString7
Its actually code P0128. I had the code cleared and Im observing to see how the car reacts. It seemed to have less rattle after the code was cleared, but the heater is not working and its starting to seem like the thermostat is the issue
Does your Temperature Gauge rise quickly? When the car is warm but not too hot, go under the hood and touch both Radiator hoses, one should be Warm, the other more or less Cold, the radiator should be cold as well, but I wouldn't touch it for a fear of getting sliced into a salad by the fans. If that's not the case, your Thermostat is bad and in need of a replacement.

With that, it shouldn't cause the excessive vibration, that will require further investigation. I would still sort out the CEL first, just in case if I am incorrect, just be prepared that it may not be the end of the saga.