ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2003 Es300 internal ground location

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-23 | 06:11 AM
bitappend
4th Gear

Default 2003 Es300 internal ground location

I am chasing several symptoms which may all be related or unrelated.
I want to attack the low hanging fruit as i suspect it might be causing issues with my more serious issues.

example 1.
Dome light works when set to door but not to on.
according to my haynes manual the wht/blk should be ground.... i get no continuity to chassis.

example 2:
i can not longer close the other windows but i can close the driver window. haynes has the other windows going back to a controller in the schematic which uses a wht/blk ground
driver window still works. its ground goes right to chassis.

I suspect the internal harness is not being tied to ground. i have no idea where to find where it ties to ground.

Car does start and run..... but its running lean and rough suspect the floating ground it doing wonky things to the ecu.
I have more demons to chase regarding the lean condition but i would like to rule out the ground issue since i have so many things working wonky in the cabin already.

Old 08-17-23 | 10:12 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Hello,

It seems like you may be on to something with the Ground issue, however unlikely it is to damage the Grounding spot inside the interior. The Dome switch, when in the On position, is supposed to connect the lights straight to Ground. With that, there is a LOT of components wired to the same Ground spot, like Body ECU, Airbag Sensor Assembly, Moonroof, Clock, etc., and said Ground spot is located deep under the dash, there is very little chance that it got damaged.

Start with the simple stuff, take apart the Dome light and see if it gets Ground, Pin 4 in the OBD2 connector and the Clock are also powered from it, you can get a Test Light and see if you have any Ground there, if not, you will know that that's your issue. This is one of the more modern cars, making it easier to diagnose, so if the Ground theory won't pan out, it would be very helpful to obtain the Techstream cable to go through all the systems, it not only checks all the parameters, but also allows you to actuate components like window regulators.

Also, check to see if the Window Lock button is released, just in case..

Hope this helps and best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
Lexanna (08-18-23)
Old 08-20-23 | 08:21 AM
bitappend
4th Gear

i might not have been clear in my previous post. I did open up the dome. that pin (wht.blk) shows no continuity to ground.
moon roof not working.
vanity lights not working.
the display on the climate control is all wonky.
driver window working... its wired right to chasis. but you are right, ill go out and check the widnow lock as soon as i get up from my comptuter
the other windows are wired to the wht/blk cable. they do not work
i know that ground location is probably ok... but it like to actually test since iam getting a lot of common signs. hence i would like to know here it physically is.
im open to other things to check.
Ill dig into the the techstream avenue to.. hope its not too expensive
Old 08-20-23 | 08:45 AM
fortitude
Intermediate

Here are the connections - from '02 manual so should be close to exact to '03
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ground_Points.pdf (58.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: pdf
Ground B3 splice.pdf (143.6 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by fortitude; 08-20-23 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-20-23 | 08:57 AM
fortitude
Intermediate

If you plan on doing the work to your vehicle, I recommend either getting a copy of the repair manual from TIS. Yes you will have to open each section and download&save....
https://techinfo.snapon.com/TIS/Register.aspx

or

check out All Data - they apparently have the complete real Lexus manual available as well - based on pricing, they appear to be a more favorable
https://www.alldata.com/diy-us/en/fi...plan?vid=41144
Old 08-20-23 | 09:23 AM
bitappend
4th Gear

continuity from my multimeter was a bad test. removed enable from chassis and got a tone.
plugged dome back in. son of a ***** its working again. same with vanity and the moonroof.
windows was infact the window lock <i feel like an *** about that one.
i guess im onto the next thing... the lean condition.
Old 08-20-23 | 09:37 AM
bitappend
4th Gear

exactly what i was looking for unfortunately i didn't see it. when i needed it.
things started working it is own. perhaps a loose cable or reseating the fuse fixed the issue when i rechecked it today.