ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2003 Es300 Thermostat replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-23, 03:26 PM
SixString7
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2003 Es300 Thermostat replacement question

Hey everyone hope you are well and driving safely out there. Just had a quick question about the process for the thermostat replacement. Do I need to drain the entire coolant from the system or can I just pull out the thermostat after gaining access to it? My understanding is that the air filter and throttle boot need to be out of the way and then its just the housing to remove. How difficult is this procedure on the 2003 model? I'm struggling to find decent information especially because mine is v6 and most of the repair tutorials are covering the 4 cylinder engine
Old 08-22-23, 09:35 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Hello,

Here is a thread about it, not too complicated, but you will have to drain the coolant for that, there is a drain port on the radiator and on the Front of the Engine Block. If you are planning to do anything else, like Timing Belt or Valve Cover Gaskets, that will be a perfect time.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 08-28-23, 10:57 PM
Tr3yster
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default same boat

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

Here is a thread about it, not too complicated, but you will have to drain the coolant for that, there is a drain port on the radiator and on the Front of the Engine Block. If you are planning to do anything else, like Timing Belt or Valve Cover Gaskets, that will be a perfect time.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Hey there I'm in the same boat also have a 2003 ES 300 I'm having to replace the thermostat because it overheats at idol. I've taken all of the air intake out and gotten it out of the way but even with the diagram I cannot seem to find the housing.. Is it coming straight off of the radiator Where it terminates into the engine?

Thanks
Old 08-29-23, 07:57 AM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Parts schematic HERE

Below highlights housing

lower radiator hose to metal pipe to metal thermostat housing
Note:
metal tube has rubber O-ring (96761-35031) that should be replaced when doing thermostat
For a visual - housing has a one wire sensor. Used one shown below
Go OEM only for thermostat plus ensure that has a new rubber gasket as well (think may be a separate part number)

The following users liked this post:
LeX2K (08-29-23)
Old 08-29-23, 09:28 AM
Tr3yster
8th Gear

Default Awesome help

Thank you so much for the diagram and pic, that is exactly where I thought it was but I just wasn't sure enough to start taking things apart, know what I mean?
Old 08-29-23, 12:42 PM
June1978
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SixString7
Hey everyone hope you are well and driving safely out there. Just had a quick question about the process for the thermostat replacement. Do I need to drain the entire coolant from the system or can I just pull out the thermostat after gaining access to it? My understanding is that the air filter and throttle boot need to be out of the way and then its just the housing to remove. How difficult is this procedure on the 2003 model? I'm struggling to find decent information especially because mine is v6 and most of the repair tutorials are covering the 4 cylinder engine
Go OEM. Go OEM. Go OEM

Ask me how I know smh
Old 08-30-23, 03:00 AM
Tr3yster
8th Gear

Default replaced - it was a job

Originally Posted by Tr3yster
Thank you so much for the diagram and pic, that is exactly where I thought it was but I just wasn't sure enough to start taking things apart, know what I mean?
So I got the thermostat replaced, and not being a mechanic by trade it was a job. I got the coolant drained, took off all the air intake parts off and finally wiggled out the old thermostat (everything is so compact in the engine bay). Got the new thermostat in and everything reconnected, but new coolant in and ran it a good while and so far it isn't overheating like it was before.

Thank you all for your help, pics, and advice. This is definitely a DIY job (not all are). If i can do it anyone can.
The following users liked this post:
Lexanna (08-30-23)