ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Es300 Tail Lights out!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-23, 09:37 PM
TheTupolevTu160
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Es300 Tail Lights out!

Hello everyone I'll try my best to explain my situation. I have a 1999 lexus es300 and I recently noticed my tail lights were out and first diagnosed the fuse got blown. I drove to the parts store and replaced it with the right one. But I noticed the tail lights were still out. It blew the fuse again! So after that i checked all tail light connection points which were non corroded, checked the trunk hinge where it's known to fray, and even unplugged the brake light failure sensor thing (don't know if it was related but I'd figure I would try it). I also switched a higher Amp fuse and that made the lights work. Is it shorting? (All other lights work i.e. the brake lights and reverse lights) Any tips and advice appreciated thank you.
Old 08-27-23, 10:52 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Hello,

What else doesn't work?
Which fuse in particular keeps blowing?
Does the fuse pop rught away, or only when the lights are triggered?

If the fuse blows, then there is a short, you will have to find what components are tied to that particular fuse and check all of them one by one. If the fuse only gets blown after a specific action, that would greatly simplify your task, as that will tell you which system in particular has a fault.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 08-28-23, 08:01 AM
TheTupolevTu160
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

What else doesn't work?
Which fuse in particular keeps blowing?
Does the fuse pop rught away, or only when the lights are triggered?

If the fuse blows, then there is a short, you will have to find what components are tied to that particular fuse and check all of them one by one. If the fuse only gets blown after a specific action, that would greatly simplify your task, as that will tell you which system in particular has a fault.

Hi so the 10A tail fuse keeps blowing. It only happens when the light control switch is turned to where the tail lights are on. I disconnected the wires that run from the fuse box to the rear tail lights and with it disconnected it still blew the 10A. I tired using a 15a to see what would happen and that was blown as well. I hope this helps diagnose my issue, thank you for helping.
Old 08-28-23, 07:12 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Below may not be exact but decent reference

'97

'02
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rear lights wire diag 1997.pdf (97.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: pdf
Tail_and_Stop_Lamp.pdf (66.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 08-28-23, 09:40 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Here is a Fuse Diagram for your car, is it a 10A TAIL fuse?

Inspect the car for any previous accidents, damage in the connectors or the wiring itself, the TAIL fuse powers not just the Taillights, but the front Corner Lights as well, sometimes people manage to ... jam the bulbs that don't belong there, causing a short. Follow the diagram linked by fortitude for a 1997 model year, it should be the same for your car. If nothing else, disconnect ALL the bulbs that are in the diagram and see if the fuse will pop again, that will signify that there is likely an issue somewhere in the wiring, rather than in an actual component.

The following users liked this post:
Lexanna (08-29-23)
Old 08-29-23, 07:57 AM
TheTupolevTu160
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Here is a Fuse Diagram for your car, is it a 10A TAIL fuse?

Inspect the car for any previous accidents, damage in the connectors or the wiring itself, the TAIL fuse powers not just the Taillights, but the front Corner Lights as well, sometimes people manage to ... jam the bulbs that don't belong there, causing a short. Follow the diagram linked by fortitude for a 1997 model year, it should be the same for your car. If nothing else, disconnect ALL the bulbs that are in the diagram and see if the fuse will pop again, that will signify that there is likely an issue somewhere in the wiring, rather than in an actual component.

Hi! Thank you for your response this managed to solve the issue. I didn't know that the tail fuse ran to the front as well but that's good to know. My left side bulb was going out so I replaced it and I guess it's a faulty bulb or connector (not the harness) so I'll figure out which one failed and replace it. Thanks again for your assistance.
Old 08-29-23, 07:59 AM
TheTupolevTu160
5th Gear

Originally Posted by fortitude
Below may not be exact but decent reference

'97

'02
Hi thanks for your assistance. Those wiring diagrams helped out a lot I appreciate it.