ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Driver door power window not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-23, 05:22 PM
lxsnb
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Do the other windows stop working if you perform a similar procedure there?

Do you hold the switch All the way down (Auto Down), or on the First click (Manual Down)? It seems like you do need to hold it in the Auto modes for both cases, aka push the switch All the way Down, then All the way Up, you need to hold the switch for at least 4 seconds in each position, and do it on all 4 windows for a successful learning.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Thank you!

The other windows still work properly, so I hesitate to touch them.

As I mentioned, the difficulty in my case is that the driver window won't even let me complete the reset procedure. I can hold it all the way down, and hold it there for 4 seconds. But after that, the window will be dead for a while, and won't respond to the up (or down) switch. This will resolve itself after I fiddle around, although I am not certain that all that fiddling around (involving switching other 3 windows down and up) is required. Maybe it is just the time that is needed to recover from the switch being held down after the window already bottoms. Does this indicate certain electrical issues associated with the driver window motor?

Other than this, the driver window does work. If I up the switch, it goes to the top, and will come down. If I catch it before it reaches the top, I can close it with a number of small moves (so that the pinch protection is not activated when the window does reach the top). Even if I fail to catch it, I will be able to switch it up again, right away. AFAIK, I can try this continuously, until I do catch it, and close the window with some small moves. This is very different from what I experience when I try the reset/learning procedure.
Old 11-14-23, 06:18 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Did you try the programming procedure backwards, aka pull the switch all the way Up instead?

That's weird, there should be a Door ECU that prevents the motor from overload, and it doesn't require time to come back to life, it could indicate that something is not right with the Door ECU, but for a more detailed look at it, you will need a Techstream Cable. Try taking the Battery Terminal off for a few seconds when the window stops working, then try it again, that will tell of the issue is in the Programming, or there is something physical that trips and stops working.

Also, the switch has Two positions, you don't have to lift it All the way up and then catch it at some position, just pull it Only until the First click, that way you can raise and lower the window manually, it does not trip the Pinch Protection of the Auto function as it is an entirely different system, so the window will not go down on its own as you described.

Old 11-14-23, 08:05 PM
lxsnb
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Did you try the programming procedure backwards, aka pull the switch all the way Up instead?

That's weird, there should be a Door ECU that prevents the motor from overload, and it doesn't require time to come back to life, it could indicate that something is not right with the Door ECU, but for a more detailed look at it, you will need a Techstream Cable. Try taking the Battery Terminal off for a few seconds when the window stops working, then try it again, that will tell of the issue is in the Programming, or there is something physical that trips and stops working.

Also, the switch has Two positions, you don't have to lift it All the way up and then catch it at some position, just pull it Only until the First click, that way you can raise and lower the window manually, it does not trip the Pinch Protection of the Auto function as it is an entirely different system, so the window will not go down on its own as you described.

Thank you! I will give these a try.

I also found this video (
), in which the reset is done before the assembly. I am not sure whether it is the same thing done different ways, but it seems there is more control that way. I might try that this weekend if I haven't fixed it by other means by then.