ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

04 ES330 A/C diagnostic codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-23 | 06:25 AM
Datanerd
Rookie

Default 04 ES330 A/C diagnostic codes

2004 Lexus ES330. I noticed as the weather is getting colder that I'm not getting hot air when the heat should be on. I ran the A/C diagnostic test routine and got the codes 21, 24, 36, and 46. I've found those codes on other models Lexus/Toyota lists, but I know that those don't necessarily match with my car. Does anyone have the code list for an 04 ES330?
Old 11-01-23 | 08:23 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Hello,

Here is a list of codes that should be identical to your car.

Codes 21 and 24 indicate issues with Driver and Passenger Light sensor, with that, they have a tendency to appear and disappear depending on the ambient lighting, so they both are safe to ignore. If you really want to test them, you can take the car into a bright sunlight and reset the codes by pulling the ECU-B fuse, then check the codes again.

Codes 36 and 46, on the other hand, are a lot more interesting, as they refer to the failure of the Driver's side Airmix Servo and its Position Sensor, which is more likely than not the source of your issue. What happens is when Position Sensor starts to wear out over time, it starts to provide erroneous readings, forcing the Servo to oblige and follow, which can quickly finish off both what remains of the sensor, and the servo itself, which is likely what happened in your case.

While you can try taking the Servo apart to see what's inside, it usually makes more sense to replace it entirely, considering its tricky placement in the vehicle. Here you can find the Parts Catalogue that shows the location of all the Servos in the car.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 11-01-23 | 12:00 PM
Datanerd
Rookie

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

Codes 21 and 24 indicate issues with Driver and Passenger Light sensor, with that, they have a tendency to appear and disappear depending on the ambient lighting, so they both are safe to ignore. If you really want to test them, you can take the car into a bright sunlight and reset the codes by pulling the ECU-B fuse, then check the codes again.

Codes 36 and 46, on the other hand, are a lot more interesting, as they refer to the failure of the Driver's side Airmix Servo and its Position Sensor, which is more likely than not the source of your issue. What happens is when Position Sensor starts to wear out over time, it starts to provide erroneous readings, forcing the Servo to oblige and follow, which can quickly finish off both what remains of the sensor, and the servo itself, which is likely what happened in your case.

While you can try taking the Servo apart to see what's inside, it usually makes more sense to replace it entirely, considering its tricky placement in the vehicle. Here you can find the Parts Catalogue that shows the location of all the Servos in the car.

Thank you. Just ordered one from Japan off the Evil Bay. In the meantime I'll stay nice and toasty with the seat heaters.
Old 11-11-23 | 11:39 AM
Datanerd
Rookie

Thumbs up

Hello,

Thank you again. I got the servo this week, and installed it this afternoon. Lexus/Toyota part 87106-41051, $185-$260 from US based sellers, or $97 on EBay from Japan, including shipping.. I'm a broad shouldered guy, and I was able to change it out without removing any trim, just pulling the carpet back. I knew there was one screw was on top that would be a difficult sucker to get out. It took about an hour I think, maybe a little more to look up the ECU-B fuse and pull it and reinsert it. No errors now!
Old 11-11-23 | 12:57 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Great, thanks for the update!
Old 11-14-23 | 11:10 AM
Datanerd
Rookie

If you do change your drivers side servo, there's a good chance you may hit the door lock beep volume control. I had no idea it was there, or what the *beep* I was fooling with. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...using-key.html
Old 12-25-23 | 08:39 PM
dallert
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Datanerd
2004 Lexus ES330. I noticed as the weather is getting colder that I'm not getting hot air when the heat should be on. I ran the A/C diagnostic test routine and got the codes 21, 24, 36, and 46. I've found those codes on other models Lexus/Toyota lists, but I know that those don't necessarily match with my car. Does anyone have the code list for an 04 ES330?
How do you run the AC diagnostic test? I am having similar issues.
Old 12-25-23 | 08:40 PM
dallert
3rd Gear

How do you run the AC diagnostics? I am having similar issues.
Old 12-26-23 | 07:06 AM
Datanerd
Rookie

Originally Posted by dallert
How do you run the AC diagnostics? I am having similar issues.
Start with the key OFF. Hold the auto and recirculate buttons, and turn the key to ON. Instead of showing the temp on the A/C display, it will show diagnostic codes. 00 is no errors.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...eed-codes.html
Old 02-05-24 | 10:55 AM
dallert
3rd Gear

I got a code 41 (Air mix door servo motor) which is accurate for the problem I have of not switching from defroster to heater, etc.
I am trying to find the correct replacement part and I see 87106-41041 and 87106-07071.
Are either of these what I need? Thanks

Last edited by dallert; 02-05-24 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-05-24 | 11:14 AM
Datanerd
Rookie

Originally Posted by dallert
I got a code 41 (Air mix door servo motor) which is accurate for the problem I have of not switching from defroster to heater, etc.
I am trying to find the correct replacement part and I see 87106-41041 and 87106-07071.
Are either of these what I need? Thanks
Arsenii posted a link to a parts catalog - I've quoted the message below.