ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Aftermarket system recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-23 | 09:44 PM
Wiscojoel
Driver School Candidate

Default Aftermarket system recommendations

So, I’ve got a 2002 es300 without the mark levingston radio. It’s just the “premium” stereo with the cd changer in dash and no navigation. Now, I’ve decided on an Alpine ilx-407 and other than that, I’m on the fence about what else.
My questions are, do I keep the stock speakers?
Do I bypass the stock amplifier?
Do I keep the rear deck sub? Or upgrade that?
Im basically looking for a competent system that sounds clean and doesn’t break the bank. Any suggestions or recommendations would be very helpful before I start throwing money at it. Thanks!
Old 11-05-23 | 10:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

What made you choose that unit? It seems very expensive given the feature set. 4 volt output instead of 5 (not terrible, not ideal) no time alignment, no indication of DACs. Has a small chassis so the amp section is going to be weak. Not saying that unit doesn't sound great or not but for for the money I expect more. Is Alpine charging a premium because of the sound?

If you don't keep the factory amp then you'll need an aftermarket amp for sure. Nothing wrong with the factory speakers I'd leave them alone for now if you're not happy with how they sound can always upgrade.
Old 11-06-23 | 12:03 PM
Wiscojoel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What made you choose that unit? It seems very expensive given the feature set. 4 volt output instead of 5 (not terrible, not ideal) no time alignment, no indication of DACs. Has a small chassis so the amp section is going to be weak. Not saying that unit doesn't sound great or not but for for the money I expect more. Is Alpine charging a premium because of the sound?

If you don't keep the factory amp then you'll need an aftermarket amp for sure. Nothing wrong with the factory speakers I'd leave them alone for now if you're not happy with how they sound can always upgrade.
im not 100% set on it. What would you recommend?
Old 11-06-23 | 12:29 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wiscojoel
im not 100% set on it. What would you recommend?
If I had to choose at the ~$500 price point. note: specs say 4 volt Pre output the lower priced version says 5 volt. I think the specs are reversed but not 100% sure.

This is a really nice unit with a nice price.
The following users liked this post:
Wiscojoel (11-06-23)
Old 11-06-23 | 09:36 PM
Wiscojoel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeX2K

Sorry, to answer that question, I’ve always went with Alpine HUs. I’ve had the ILX-207 on another car and I like it.
The amp you can connect to it, KTA-450 is 4 AND 2 ohm stable. And I see the rear sub on this car is 2 ohm, while all the other speakers are 4 ohm. So that was the thought process at least.