ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-23, 07:23 PM
ErikMagnuson
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!

So I know my car has been throwing one code, a p0136 for a while. I have a 98 Lexus es300. The other day when driving back from gas station is was acting funny. Since parking it i have gone to start it, its kinda harder to start, but no radiator fans kick on. Coolant temp stays at C, and it smells very strongly of gaa or exhaust within first min. Its not throwing any codes. I move it from one side of the street to the other for winter parking seems to run fine, other then not wanting to run it very long. PLEASE help, any suggestions welcome! Just over 215,000 miles
Old 11-14-23, 08:08 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Hello,

When did the issue first begin?
How is the car generally being used? From your description, it appears that you only do very short trips, which could be the cause behind a lot of the issues you described, namely the fuel smell and tough start, as you have to make sure you give the car a chance to warm up fully.

P0136 indicates an Open or Short in Bank 1 Sensor 2 O2 sensor, which is a Downstream unit, meaning that it is located After all the Catalysts (or Catalyst if you have a Federal emissions car), and it is there simply to monitor the efficiency of the Emissions systems in the car. This code usually means that it is the sensor at fault as it is a Circuit failure, unlike the dreaded O2 sensor Performance codes, which can mean either a bad sensor, or a fried catalyst, but since this sensor is not used anywhere else aside from the Emission system, it does not (or at least should not) affect the performance or the starting of the engine.

Considering the outside temperature this time of year, I would find it stranger if the fans Were to kick on than otherwise, especially after a stop at the gas station, is there a specific reason why you suspect the fault in the Fans? Coolant staying at Cold All the time is a good indication that your Thermostat is out and needs a replacement, the way to confirm it would be to touch the Upper and Lower Radiator hoses after letting the car run for a few minutes, one should be noticeably warmer than the other, and the Radiator should be completely cold, though I would not suggest touching it, as your concern about fans may come back to bite you ... literally.

Unburned gas and Exhaust have vastly different smells, it would be tough to confuse them, besides that, it's two vastly different routes to follow, so a bit more clarity will be needed. In the meantime, inspect all the Fuel Lines around the car to see if there are any leaks, which could very well be a fire hazard if it drips near the exhaust.

I would suggest getting the Thermostat working, making sure that the car does warm up to the operating temperature within about 10 minutes before proceeding with further diagnostics, as the engine Has to be warn for the Closed Loop fuel control to work, and for it to run as efficiently as possible, something like that can very well be a reason for a strange exhaust smell that you described, as the car will run a lot Richer than designed for warmup, and to stay running. Aside from that, you can cause damage if you drive with cold engine for too long, especially during accelerations and use at higher RPMs.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 11-14-23, 10:00 PM
ErikMagnuson
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

When did the issue first begin?
How is the car generally being used? From your description, it appears that you only do very short trips, which could be the cause behind a lot of the issues you described, namely the fuel smell and tough start, as you have to make sure you give the car a chance to warm up fully.

P0136 indicates an Open or Short in Bank 1 Sensor 2 O2 sensor, which is a Downstream unit, meaning that it is located After all the Catalysts (or Catalyst if you have a Federal emissions car), and it is there simply to monitor the efficiency of the Emissions systems in the car. This code usually means that it is the sensor at fault as it is a Circuit failure, unlike the dreaded O2 sensor Performance codes, which can mean either a bad sensor, or a fried catalyst, but since this sensor is not used anywhere else aside from the Emission system, it does not (or at least should not) affect the performance or the starting of the engine.

Considering the outside temperature this time of year, I would find it stranger if the fans Were to kick on than otherwise, especially after a stop at the gas station, is there a specific reason why you suspect the fault in the Fans? Coolant staying at Cold All the time is a good indication that your Thermostat is out and needs a replacement, the way to confirm it would be to touch the Upper and Lower Radiator hoses after letting the car run for a few minutes, one should be noticeably warmer than the other, and the Radiator should be completely cold, though I would not suggest touching it, as your concern about fans may come back to bite you ... literally.

Unburned gas and Exhaust have vastly different smells, it would be tough to confuse them, besides that, it's two vastly different routes to follow, so a bit more clarity will be needed. In the meantime, inspect all the Fuel Lines around the car to see if there are any leaks, which could very well be a fire hazard if it drips near the exhaust.

I would suggest getting the Thermostat working, making sure that the car does warm up to the operating temperature within about 10 minutes before proceeding with further diagnostics, as the engine Has to be warn for the Closed Loop fuel control to work, and for it to run as efficiently as possible, something like that can very well be a reason for a strange exhaust smell that you described, as the car will run a lot Richer than designed for warmup, and to stay running. Aside from that, you can cause damage if you drive with cold engine for too long, especially during accelerations and use at higher RPMs.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Sorry, I have put a decent amount of miles on this car. But shouldnt fans kick on when ac is on? I'm just worried I am going to cause more damage. I will check coolant lines and thermostat right away in the morning. I'm just worried about it overheating or with the gas smell igniting or something bad.
Old 11-16-23, 02:45 PM
ErikMagnuson
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ErikMagnuson
Sorry, I have put a decent amount of miles on this car. But shouldnt fans kick on when ac is on? I'm just worried I am going to cause more damage. I will check coolant lines and thermostat right away in the morning. I'm just worried about it overheating or with the gas smell igniting or something bad.
So, I took everything apart awaiting a new thermostat. I decided just to peak in at the timing belt cause theres been a loud squeeling on and off usually until the cars warmed up. I am posting a picture of what it looks like...figured maybe it was a bad pulley making the noise...need advice after finding this what I should do.

All bad
Old 11-16-23, 02:53 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

In desperate need of this kit
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=16088&jsn=439
Old 11-16-23, 07:58 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikMagnuson
...need advice after finding this what I should do.
Hmmmmm ....... to think that my belt was bad enough...

But yes, I will have to agree with LeX2K here, it looks as if that belt has never been touched ever since it left the factory.