ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Fuel system too lean on bank 1, engine code P0171

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-23, 09:17 PM
dmotlagh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Here is one from youtube capture since I am not near the car. Thanks.

Old 12-05-23, 10:50 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by dmotlagh
Here is one from youtube capture since I am not near the car.
Weell the idea is to look over your own engine specifically, finding a picture of 3MZ with the engine cover off is really not an issue. With that, an idea of a video may work out better than pictures, both for understanding and for the sanity of moderators..

First though, when you get a chance, just look over all the hoses listed in the Parts Catalogue linked above, see if any of them are cracked, damaged or missing completely, if you won't be able to find anything, try plugging the intake as mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 12-06-23, 08:51 AM
dmotlagh
Rookie

I attached a few pictures after checking their connectivity and condition. They all seem to have no damages. Several of them were replaced by the dealer not long ago. I checked the service history, showing the PCV valve was replaced last year.

Old 12-06-23, 05:09 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Huh, I don't see anything out of place either, aside from a bunch of replacement connectors all around the engine, not sure I want to know how much that cost to do at a dealership..

In any case, all that's left is to plug the intake and see if that does anything, if not, there could be a possibility of a faulty MAF sensor, which we will need to explore should all the other options fail as well.
Old 12-06-23, 05:30 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Arsenii
from a bunch of replacement connectors all around the engine
Yes
The MAF connector is white in the photo. I believe it came black from factory

Old 12-07-23, 08:04 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fortitude
Yes
The MAF connector is white in the photo. I believe it came black from factory
Yes, all OEM replacement connectors are white for some reason, regardless of the color they came in from the factory. It's not like that's what is causing your issue though, just an interesting observation..
Old 12-21-23, 12:33 PM
dmotlagh
Rookie

Hi Arsenii,

So far, I was waiting for my smoke generating machine to show up. With holidays in mind, I got it today and connected to the hose shown in the picture (finger pointing) an evap line. In about 5 minutes the smoke started to come out from the neck of the PCV valve where the hose connects to it. In the picture it looks like it was wrapped with electrical tape and most likely it has a flared end. Also the smoke came out from the front where air is sucked into the air filter box which should be normal I assume. Until that PCV hose is fixed, I can't do much. Do you have any suggestions? I do not know the part number for that hose and if it is something I could try since it is in the tight place.

Old 12-21-23, 12:52 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts

https://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/us/...ntilation-hose

I replaced this hose on mine without having to remove other parts. It is a tight fit. I think I attached it to plenum first then attached to pvc
Old 12-21-23, 08:00 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Yeep, should've seen that coming actually, had the same "fix" applied, but with the hose that is on the Front Valve Cover, it was a lot easier to spot and replace.. I am kinda surprised and disappointed that it is not a silver duct tape on both.

Part Number for the hose is 12261-20090 (don't look too closely at that picture), the most challenging part is to actually take it off, as it dries out on the ridge, making it very hard to pull off sometimes, a new hose is flexible enough to make the process easier than it looks.

Old 12-31-23, 10:17 AM
dmotlagh
Rookie

Hi Arsenii and Fortitude, I ordered "Genuine Lexus 1994-2005 PCV Ventilation Hose 1226120011 OEM" from the link posted which is correct per pictures I had taken before. However, the hose just showed up but it is a very tight space to work on. The PCV side is okay but the other side is not accessible or visible. It may be easy to pull it out but how will one align the tiny hose to the mating side without seeing it and make a connection? I am not sure how "Fortitude" did it. I can't even work my hand near that side of the hose. What is the trick without having to take out a lot of parts? Thanks
Old 12-31-23, 11:25 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Huh, I don't quite remember it being such an issue, though that said, I haven't really worked on 4th-gen much, it is relatively painless in my 2000 ES300. What you can do is put the hose on the Intake first, that way you will have a better chance of visually seeing where you are putting the hose. Other than that, you can use a mirror to make things more visible, and take the Clips off the wiring Conduit and plastic Housing, then move it a little to the side, giving you more working distance.

Old 12-31-23, 12:12 PM
dmotlagh
Rookie

Right about 4th gen. It is very difficult. I wear medium size gloves. I saw a video on youtube showing how easily one was able to reach behind and underneath that area to work whereas I can't even put four fingers down there. The small mirror won;t fit in that space and yet to prove a view. Earlier, I had used a small camera to capture a picture (posted) of the other end. Could you elaborate on this "take the Clips off the wiring Conduit and plastic Housing," I can't relate to it.
Thanks
Old 12-31-23, 12:21 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dmotlagh
Could you elaborate on this "take the Clips off the wiring Conduit and plastic Housing," I can't relate to it.
Thanks
Below is the picture of one of the clips in question, those hold the plastic housing for the Main Engine Harness, release those clips around the harness, and it should theoretically give you more working area.

Old 12-31-23, 12:55 PM
dmotlagh
Rookie

Wow, that might give needed space to work. I'll try it, hope the clips don't fall apart like any clip when touched. Thanks or follow up.