ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Dogbone mount washer needed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-23, 09:30 PM
jdfromaz
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dogbone mount washer needed?

I replaced my top engine mount "dogbone" but in the process I broke the large 3" plastic "washer" and I cannot find a part # and it doesn't appear on parts diagrams. It doesn't seem to serve any obvious purpose except maybe to protect the part from fluids??? Does anyone know what it's purpose is? Or how to find a part #? Or is a rubber washer from a hardware store suitable? Or should I just not bother?
Old 12-27-23, 03:28 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Hello,

Please list the Year and Model of your car, a picture of the "washer" in question would be helpful as well. My 2000 ES300 never had anything like that on the top Dogbone Mount.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Old 12-27-23, 03:53 PM
jdfromaz
10th Gear

Before it broke before I tightened bolt. Big (3") disk. It has raised number "3598EH". (original part 2004 Lexus ES330). The photo is looking down at the part standing near the RF wheel. The washer is positioned vertically (like a bicycle tire) between the vertical cylinder of the mount and the bracket. It has a 1" hole that goes around the hub so has no spacing or tightening role.
Old 12-27-23, 04:07 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Seems like a simple barrier, I don't think it will affect things too much, at least for the duration of the car's remaining lifespan. Though I got to wonder what could make this piece break, it's not like it is supposed to be glued on the part, at least as far as I am aware, it just sits there..

Old 12-27-23, 04:13 PM
jdfromaz
10th Gear

Default How washer broke

It must have been brittle. It broke really easily as I was prying the mount out, which wasn't even hard. I found a you tube video that shows one on both the inner and outer sides so maybe my inner one disintegrated years ago. The car has very high mileage and the part was $30 and easy to replace so I'll check it annually and not worry about those if I can't find them. They'd probably cost almost as much as the part.
Old 12-27-23, 09:09 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdfromaz
The car has very high mileage and the part was $30 and easy to replace so I'll check it annually and not worry about those if I can't find them. They'd probably cost almost as much as the part.
Toyota doesn't seem to sell them as a standalone unit, so chances of finding anything other than used are slim. But it does look like an easy enough part to make out of rubber sheet, it's not too complex, that is if you feel like it.
Old 12-27-23, 09:43 PM
jdfromaz
10th Gear

Default Making a dogbone mount washer

Thanks. That's a good idea. I thought of that, but the material was not "rubber" and I'm not aware of what material to use. I wonder if the purpose of the washer is to protect the mount from too much heat. If that is true it might explain why the old washer was made of a very stiff plastic-like material that is not really rubber. Maybe some sort of heat resistant high melting point material. ??? I'm reluctant to make it out of just any material that I guess about. But I do appreciate the suggestion. Maybe I'll try to find a sheet of some kind of stiff heat-resistant material.
Old 12-27-23, 10:07 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

I do doubt that even if it was designed to wick away the heat, it was doing that good of a job, as it doesn't provide any isolation, and will heat up just as much as everything else, let alone the fact that the actual bushing in the mount is pressed into uninsulated steel casing.

I am pretty sure it should be, or even may have been rubber-ish at some point, I have a similar piece in the Lower mount, and it is pretty flexible, here you can find some pictures of said mount. Rubbers are not only distinguished by composition, but also by Durometer Readings, 70 units is about average O-Ring, 100 is more of a plastic than rubber, though you can still bend it a bit. The one I have on the Lower Mount is about 80 units if my patented tooth gauge is to be trusted.

Neoprene is pretty resilient to temperature, they do offer it in different harnesses, and it is pretty inexpensive, which may be worth a try, they use it a lot in scuba diving I think. If you want something more like a plastic, PTFE (or Teflon) sheets could be useful, as it is one of the most inert materials out there, though they can be tricky to cut.

The following users liked this post:
jdfromaz (12-27-23)
Old 12-28-23, 03:49 AM
FromFL
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Had that on my '04. They were just spinning loose and flapping away doing apparently nothing, serving no purpose. New replacement db (yes...aftermarket!) didn't have those. I was speculating at the time that it had something to do with the assembly process.
Old 12-29-23, 11:01 PM
jdfromaz
10th Gear

Default Photo of rest of the part

Broken washer for lexus es 330 '04 dogbone torque mount.
Here's a photo of the rest of the "washer" that broke. It included more numbers (part#?) 7127SB. Yes it was just spinning free, very hard to guess why it was there other than as a rather loose barrier of some sort (dirt, heat, fluids??). It's very hard and 1/8" thick, and only on the side with the bushing that wears.

I've given up looking for a replacement part. If someone in the future reads this and finds an answer or source, please add to the thread.
Old 12-29-23, 11:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

I don't have the slightest idea what those rubber things are for, protection? Toyota has used them for years on multiple engines maybe just for looks.
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM
Jams4Jimin
1st Gear

Default Found Something Possibly Useful

Broken washer for lexus es 330 '04 dogbone torque mount.
Here's a photo of the rest of the "washer" that broke. It included more numbers (part#?) 7127SB. Yes it was just spinning free, very hard to guess why it was there other than as a rather loose barrier of some sort (dirt, heat, fluids??). It's very hard and 1/8" thick, and only on the side with the bushing that wears.

I've given up looking for a replacement part. If someone in the future reads this and finds an answer or source, please add to the thread.

Okay so. I'm not car expert I'm just a woman trying to fix her car. I'm going to replace my 2006 toyota camry torque rod. I bought one but my stock price has the same rubber ring. It has the same numbers and I can't find it anywhere. From your measurments and my research I may have found something possibly useful.

1/2" 150# 1/8" Thk Red Rubber SBR 75A ASME B16.5 Ring Gasket made from styrene-butadiene rubber.

This material as researched is a great at with taking heat but it can tear.

The link is the site I found it on. Right now I only found ones in red but be my guest and fiddle around eith the research and find something better. LMK!!!

https://www.gallagherseals.com/1-2-1...caAvpKEALw_wcB
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
jdfromaz
10th Gear

Default Looks good

Originally Posted by Jams4Jimin
Okay so. I'm not car expert I'm just a woman trying to fix her car. I'm going to replace my 2006 toyota camry torque rod. I bought one but my stock price has the same rubber ring. It has the same numbers and I can't find it anywhere. From your measurments and my research I may have found something possibly useful.

1/2" 150# 1/8" Thk Red Rubber SBR 75A ASME B16.5 Ring Gasket made from styrene-butadiene rubber.

This material as researched is a great at with taking heat but it can tear.

The link is the site I found it on. Right now I only found ones in red but be my guest and fiddle around eith the research and find something better. LMK!!!

https://www.gallagherseals.com/1-2-1...caAvpKEALw_wcB
Thanks that might do the trick. After a while without it I'm convinced it's not critical for the engine mount of a car with 250k miles. But it's cheap so maybe I'll order ne. Thanks again
Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 300 Posts

Thanks that might do the trick. After a while without it I'm convinced it's not critical for the engine mount of a car with 250k miles. But it's cheap so maybe I'll order ne. Thanks again
These dust shields - or whatever they are - are completely unnecessary. I’ve had an aftermarket dog bone, without these, installed for 10 years and 100k miles - still perfectly fine.

You can get aftermarket mounts on Ebay and Amazon for $15 to $20 (delivered). They work just fine.

Amazon Amazon